• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning winter preparations

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Wow, glad I never have to deal with cold, snow, ice, salt, pre-conditioning.

Living in the hot desert southwest USA - we never see winter at all...
Sponsored

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
I well set the garage thermostat at 55 degrees and leave it on when not in the garage and plugged in.

WWJPD

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
As for salt, just get it washed(with underside wash) like you normally would. Iā€™m in CT and went to Rochester a number of times. Going west in 18deg with those headwinds and freezing rain kills your range. My Mach-E was getting like less than 1.8mi/kWh, so I imagine the Lightning will similarly lose 30% of normal warmer weather range. But, itā€™s still cheaper than gas. As others noted, try to precondition by setting departure times and remote start when possible. I knew about the range hit for EVs in cold weather, but it didnā€™t hit until I saw it for real.

OP
OP

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
Wow, glad I never have to deal with cold, snow, ice, salt, pre-conditioning.

Living in the hot desert southwest USA - we never see winter at all...
I love the snow, I look forward to it gladly each year... but to each his own!

OP
OP

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
Going west in 18deg with those headwinds and freezing rain kills your range. My Mach-E was getting like less than 1.8mi/kWh, so I imagine the Lightning will similarly lose 30% of normal warmer weather range. But, itā€™s still cheaper than gas. As others noted, try to precondition by setting departure times and remote start when possible. I knew about the range hit for EVs in cold weather, but it didnā€™t hit until I saw it for real.
How was driving on the 90? Were the fast chargers set up on that side of the state yet? As for the range loss, I was messing around on my computer to do some rough calculations regarding it to prepare myself. The 30% number seems to be backed up by math as well as most people's experience. I think I mentioned somewhere that there is a notable density difference in air at 77 vs 0 alone, that's straight range loss. My little simulation degenerated quickly into playtime when I started calculating things with the truck moving closer to airplane speeds than highway speeds lol.

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
How many watts are lost to the cabin heater?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
How was driving on the 90? Were the fast chargers set up on that side of the state yet? As for the range loss, I was messing around on my computer to do some rough calculations regarding it to prepare myself. The 30% number seems to be backed up by math as well as most people's experience. I think I mentioned somewhere that there is a notable density difference in air at 77 vs 0 alone, that's straight range loss. My little simulation degenerated quickly into playtime when I started calculating things with the truck moving closer to airplane speeds than highway speeds lol.
We have had no issues finding charging stations along I-90 anywhere from Buffalo to Boston. It is getting better too as NY refurbishes their rest areas. All of them will have 150kW+ DC fast chargers.

OP
OP

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
How many watts are lost to the cabin heater?
I didn't bother with it but you can subtract range pretty quickly if you knew its draw. My current truck is cold when I get to work so I've gotten used to never turning on the heat (much to my wife's dismay!)

WWJPD

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
No real problems finding fast chargers. I've even gotten confident enough in it in the warmer months to let it go to under 10% to get to a charger sometimes. Albany, Syracuse, Herkimer, & Waterloo all have good EA chargers and there are some EVGo in there too. There are even a few free 50kW ones like the Warner travel plaza westbound. However, if you are going east of Albany into Mass, don't depend on the Lee travel plaza ones as even if they do work(unlikely), they will most likely be ICE'd.
I knew about cold weather range loss and before the winter I was like, "whatever!", but that range loss, especially traveling 70mph on 90W with snow/rain and the wind resulted in an extra charging stop and really made it real.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I didn't bother with it but you can subtract range pretty quickly if you knew its draw. My current truck is cold when I get to work so I've gotten used to never turning on the heat (much to my wife's dismay!)
My wife says that I am being a martyr by keeping the heat off. She also gets grumpy about lights being left on in the house. I don't point out the inconsistent nature of this (3 or 4 led lights being left on for 15 minutes ....call it 25 watts. Running the car heat for 10 minutes when not absolutely needed ....500+watts).

Sponsored

oldgoalie33

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Mustang Convertible, 2021 Mach E Premium AWD
Iā€˜m in Northern Michigan near Lake Michigan so am used to lake effect snow and have owned a number of F150ā€™s (ICE). Thereā€™s lots of salt used here in the winter, and I never noticed any corrosion issues. I had a Mach E (standard range) and the most winter range we got charging overnight in the garage (to 90%) was about 117 miles. My wife drove it to work every day with no issues. Parked outside. Just got in it and drove home. We sold the Mach E in August and are buying the dealerā€™s ā€˜mannequinā€™ Lightning Lariat ER in December. I know what to expect regarding range during winter and am not worried about undercoating it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No real problems finding fast chargers. I've even gotten confident enough in it in the warmer months to let it go to under 10% to get to a charger sometimes. Albany, Syracuse, Herkimer, & Waterloo all have good EA chargers and there are some EVGo in there too. There are even a few free 50kW ones like the Warner travel plaza westbound. However, if you are going east of Albany into Mass, don't depend on the Lee travel plaza ones as even if they do work(unlikely), they will most likely be ICE'd.
I knew about cold weather range loss and before the winter I was like, "whatever!", but that range loss, especially traveling 70mph on 90W with snow/rain and the wind resulted in an extra charging stop and really made it real.
Most I have pushed it is down to 2 miles remaining (1% battery) on our Mach-e pulling into Waterloo!

OP
OP

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
I had a Mach E (standard range) and the most winter range we got charging overnight in the garage (to 90%) was about 117 miles.
The SR Mach-E is around 220 miles normally? That's quite a range hit compared to what I was expecting.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'd expect freezing temperatures and highway speeds in a Pro or XLT without heated seats to have about 60% range. If charging to 80%, that's around 110 winter miles. I always keep my Tesla at 80%, but may consider bringing the Lightning up to 90% in the winter to get ~120 miles. That's would cover a local day of heavy driving for me. I'm also in WNY.

Is anyone changing out the stock AT tires for winter? It seems like they are rated well for the snow?

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
I'd expect freezing temperatures and highway speeds in a Pro or XLT without heated seats to have about 60% range. If charging to 80%, that's around 110 winter miles. I always keep my Tesla at 80%, but may consider bringing the Lightning up to 90% in the winter to get ~120 miles. That's would cover a local day of heavy driving for me. I'm also in WNY.

Is anyone changing out the stock AT tires for winter? It seems like they are rated well for the snow?
I went with snow tires, X-Ice. This is the heaviest vehicle I've owned and want the stopping power.
Sponsored