• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Locking remote in the truck

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
My 2011 F-150 had a pillar keypad that could be used to unlock and enter the truck. I often used this feature to lock the keys and the truck when it was inconvenient or more risky to carry them with me, for example, when going to the beach. I felt the risk of losing the keys in the sand or water, or having someone take them from my spot while in the water, was higher than the risk of leaving them hidden in a locked truck.

I'm wondering if this can be done with the remote in the Lightning. The manual states that if the remote remains motionless for more than a minute, it will stop working until a button on it is pushed. So in theory, you should be able to lock it in the truck and have it go to sleep after a minute until you reenter the truck via the keypad and reactivate it.

I've tried playing with this a few times in my driveway with non-conclusive results. Anyone know if this will work?

(Please refrain from long debates on the risks or wisdom of doing this. Each of us has different levels of risk tolerance, it greatly depends on the location of use, etc.. I just want to know if it's possible)
Sponsored

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 lightning, 22 maverick, old ass Harley.
Occupation
Retired Army, retired Government employee.
I put my fob in a faraday bag and locked it in my console vault.

Last edited:

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I throw it in the armrest when we go kayaking and then use the door keypad to open when I get back.

Sponsored

Bugs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning
Occupation
Technology
Leave it in the door panel so it moves once you open the door and never have a problem ;)

OP
OP

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Never knew about the faraday bags. Thanks all!

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER - Red
I leave my keys in the truck (usually in the door) and hit the last two buttons on the keypad to lock it. Unlock from the keypad. Never had an issue.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
for my PRO, early on, I realized that simply putting my Keyfob in the center console all the time, and using my FordPassApp to Lock, UNLOCK, or even Remote Start. I never carry the Keyfob, ANYWHERE.

Now, also, recently I added a SecuriCode KEYPAD, from Ford, to the INSIDE of my Charge Port door, for those rare instances when the cellular signal is Slow, or does not allow the truck to get the message from the APP. It works great, too, and, again, my Keyfob stays in my center console - it never leaves.

derwoodspinks

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning, MY21 Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT Guy
Now, also, recently I added a SecuriCode KEYPAD, from Ford, to the INSIDE of my Charge Port door, for those rare instances when the cellular signal is Slow, or does not allow the truck to get the message from the APP. It works great, too, and, again, my Keyfob stays in my center console - it never leaves.
I know nothing of the SecuriCode Keypads - do they require wiring into the BCM or another module? Or are they RF? What's that setup look like, I'm intrigued.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
Years ago I locked keys in my Expedition on purpose. when I returned the next day I could not get the exterior keypad to work because the 12 volt battery starting battery was dead. Couldn’t open the hood to charge the battery because the hood release was inside. Had to get AAA to go into the vehicle with a wire, to pull the inside handle.

I suppose this could happen with my Lightning.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Ford has removed a few features from the Lightning that I have in my Focus Electric (like auto-close and open for the rear seat windows) and I'm wondering if this works or not...

Leaving a key fob in the vehicle disables the touch sense locking, but it is possible to lock a fob in the vehicle using the other fob.

I know this doesn't help the OP with the beach situation, but I'm curious to try this out or hear if someone has.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I know nothing of the SecuriCode Keypads - do they require wiring into the BCM or another module? Or are they RF? What's that setup look like, I'm intrigued.
They are RF. I had one added to my 2011. It works on the same freq as the TPMS sensors if I recall correctly. At least back then it did.
Sponsored