• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Luxury Tax

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf
Well, just got out of the dealership for my Platinum order and was told I have to pay the lux tax which comes up to around 5k. Kind of finding it weird that some of us don’t have to pay and some (maybe just me being in Quebec) have to pay it. Anybody ordered Platinum and got exempt from it?
I never looked at the specs on the Platinum, but I'm not surprised by this. It needs to be over 8500lbs GVWR. I noticed that the max tow capacity of the Platinum was 8500lbs versus 10k on the Lariat. I suspect the Wheel size/tires derate this and brings you below the Lariat.

The Lariat is 8550lbs when equipped with the All Seasons, if you get the All Terrain it's derated to below 8500 and you DO pay luxury tax on the All Terrain.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Marty80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ Lightning Platinum
I was also suspecting that but, on my order spec sheet provided by the dealer for the Platinum, the max tow package is included as well as All Season Tires and GVWR is written down as 8550lbs.

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf
I was also suspecting that but, on my order spec sheet provided by the dealer for the Platinum, the max tow package is included as well as All Season Tires and GVWR is written down as 8550lbs.
Then your dealer incorrectly applied the tax. Double check the door jam, if the truck is in fact 8550 GVWR then the tax does not apply and they owe you a refund. Source, my wife is currently a CFO and has worked as an accountant for KPMG and other public accounting firms.

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I never looked at the specs on the Platinum, but I'm not surprised by this. It needs to be over 8500lbs GVWR. I noticed that the max tow capacity of the Platinum was 8500lbs versus 10k on the Lariat. I suspect the Wheel size/tires derate this and brings you below the Lariat.

The Lariat is 8550lbs when equipped with the All Seasons, if you get the All Terrain it's derated to below 8500 and you DO pay luxury tax on the All Terrain.
This really pisses me off, because when the sales rep called me in January about swapping the A/T tires in to get an earlier delivery, he never mentioned anything about the trade-off for this lux tax.

If I had known swapping the A/T tires in added 5K to the cost of the vehicle it is not something I would have signed up for.

Is this all 100% confirmed?

OP
OP

Marty80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ Lightning Platinum
Being in Quebef, dealerships are member of a « dealership association ». Emailed their legal dept and some accountant / lawyer called me back saying they would get in touch with my dealership advising that 5k should not be charged based on the weight. Dealer emailed me saying that Platinum 2023 is NOT subject to lux tax

Sponsored

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Magnetewan River near Georgian Bay Ontario, Canada
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Ice Blue, 2023 Lightning Star White
Occupation
Retired
Interesting as I have a Lariat pending pick up. One thing if you ordered rims and tires through dealer that cost gets charged lux tax too. Insane tax rules in Canukistan.

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
Why not just get a Green Plate? You cant ride on hov lane alone with commercial plates

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
OK so by adding the spare tire effectively put my Lariat ER over the weight limit and I didn't have to pay the luxury tax. I picked my truck up at the end of December. My truck has the all-season tires.

As well, the mobile charger is no longer included however the website still states that a mobile charger is provided free with all BEV purchases. The only place the mobile charger is "deleted" is during the build steps of the truck. My dealer is giving me the charger for free because of that confusion.

The dealer also got me green plates. He specifically told me that he will put the weight at a certain amount to ensure I get the green plates but he did say sometimes the ministry is picky. Nevertheless, I received green plates with my truck.

Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Dealer says no due to weight but No tax
That's what he had told me so in order to get it he did reduce the weight on the registration form. He said that it's dependant on the specific service Ontario location. But table by @ytwytw states it clearly.

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
OK so by adding the spare tire effectively put my Lariat ER over the weight limit and I didn't have to pay the luxury tax. I picked my truck up at the end of December. My truck has the all-season tires.

As well, the mobile charger is no longer included however the website still states that a mobile charger is provided free with all BEV purchases. The only place the mobile charger is "deleted" is during the build steps of the truck. My dealer is giving me the charger for free because of that confusion.

The dealer also got me green plates. He specifically told me that he will put the weight at a certain amount to ensure I get the green plates but he did say sometimes the ministry is picky. Nevertheless, I received green plates with my truck.
Did you have to request the spare tire be added? Or is it always there?

I have a Lariat ER 511A package and it is supposedly coming with these AT tires. I am worried it will be under. I have TXTed my sales person but they seem clueless.
Sponsored