• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mobile Charger For Lightning

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I did not order the Ford mobile charger with my order as at the time many were recommending that there were other, better options out there. I'm now looking to buy one. Based on this tread and review from Tom Moloughney, the Webasto Go gets good ratings. But in his video review he reveals that the Ford version is actually a Webasco. I could have ordered the Ford one for $500. The Webasco currently lists for $549. Guess I should have ordered the Ford one.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
While my Ford supplied 240/120v charger works fine, it gives little feedback. It is simple, and easy, and works on both 240v or 120v, which is a good option if you are taking it with you, especially camping or places where only 120v is available.

My other, more preferred, mobile charge, and the one I use also a home every night, is the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JB9FLBK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have owned and used this at home and while traveling and camping since August of last year, with no worries.
It is only 240v, yes, but it is ADJUSTABLE for much lower amperages, if you are sharing a campground 50amp outlet with your camper on it's 30amp outlet and you don't want to stress the pedestal, or you need to lower the amperage to meet a smaller breaker, such as a 20amp 240v, with an adapter, etc. It just gives you all kind of control. It has not only the typical 'readout' of the charging amperage, rate, etc., but also a nice large 'scrolling' led to tell you, from a distance, that charging is certainly taking place.

Right now, at Ochlocknee River State Park, just south of Sopchoppy(NW FLorida panhandle), I do have 50amp as an option, along with my 30amp outlet for my camper, and another separate 20amp 120v outlet for additional needs. But, I have the EVSE set down to 10amp, it's lowest setting, because not only is it hot and humid and everyone is running their air conditioners 24/7, like us, but also because we are here several days, and I don't need it to be fully charged until we are ready to leave today. It reached it's full charge in 41 hours. Perfect timing. Yes, I could have set it higher at 16amps and expedited the process, but there was no need. I could also have bumped it up to it's 30amp max if I actually needed to...

I have traveled so much, with and without my camper, and realize that you just might feel more comfortable carrying TWO charge EVSE with you. I bring the Adjustable 240v unit, AND I bring my Ford 120/240v unit. I also have various adapters for every conceivable power situation.
One that comes to mind is a campground in far NorthEast Georgia, the highest state park campground in the State, Black Rock Mountain State Park... at about 3,000ft in elavation. The campground is at the highest point.
The state has always normally had 30amp 120v outlets at most every state park, at least from the inception of 'electrical' outlets within their campgrounds. In recent years, with big pushes from campers having 50amp 240v RVs, the requirements have been met at many state park campgrounds with the more typical '50amp' Power Pedestals.
This campground, though, may have decided that it was not economical or feasible to go that expensive route, since it requires larger wires, etc. They chose, instead, to simply 'double up' on the number of 30amp 120v outlets at each site - now all sites have TWO 30amp outlets, along with the typical 20amp 120v residential/GFCI outlet.

This presents a problem for charging. You're either limited to 120v, which might take so long that it doesn't work for your travel schedule, especially if you are using your truck to take trips or outings while there, or you have to use an ADAPTER to bring those two 30amp 120v outlets 'togther' to for a single 30amp 240V power supply. There is a 'Y' adapter to do exactly that. And, it works.
I did, though, dial back the amperage to 20amps speed so that the two breakers would not be overstressed and trip too quickly. They seemed to be old and overused. It's typical at campgrounds.
One way, 120v, would have taken a week to fully charge a depleted truck.(you'll know what I mean when you traverse the long and winding single-lane 'up' of this mountain state park!)
The other way, 240v, would possibly be done in 12 hours, within a single night's stay.
That's what worked for me.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
The one mentioned above by Turner is not available. Any other feedback on the Ford/Webasco? Given what seem to be good reviews, the prices on eBay (and others) are around $395, $100 less than Ford gets for them.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Any other feedback on the Ford/Webasco? Given what seem to be good reviews, the prices on eBay (and others) are around $395, $100 less than Ford gets for them.
I think a Level 2 mobile needs to be adjustable. A lot of people bought this Amproad unit. Mine has been flawless. The adjustability has gotten me charging when a 30A wouldn't. Search the forum and see what others have said.

https://www.amazon.com/AMPROAD-Charger-Adjustable-Versatile-Portable/dp/B09NPF2CL8/
Sponsored