• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mobile Charger Wiring - Question w/6/2 Aluminum ?

derm

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 Sport 4x4; Ordered F-150 Lighting Larit
I have repurposed my Electric Stove wiring (ALCAN S STABILOY (R) AA-8000 AL TYPE SE_CABLE 600V 2 CDRS 6 AWG) from the Kitchen to the garage to the NEMA 14-50 Outlet. House was built 1997. (Stove was changed to gas)

SPEC's
-The Alum Cable is 6/2 with shielded aluminum ground.
-I Twisted the Ground Shielding to the NEMA 14-50 Ground Terminal
-Phase(A and B) to the (Y1 and Y2) NEMA 14-50 Terminals.
-Swapped the 50 Amp breaker to 40 Amp GFI

Do I need the Pig tail the Nuetral Terminal off the Sheild?
Does the Ford Mobile charger require Nuetral.

- I can't see running a second 6 guage ground wire and it would be a bitch getting to the panel.
- I Can't be the only one that used 6/2. 6/3 is not common.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
No, EVSEs do not require a neutral. Technically, thereā€™s nothing wrong with what you did, but Iā€™d put a label on the receptacle stating ā€œNo neutralā€ or ā€œEVSE onlyā€ which might stop some one in the future from plugging in an RV and frying everything in it.

Be sure the terminals on the receptacle are labeled ā€œCu/Alā€ meaning aluminum wire is acceptable.

Jumping the ground and neutral together would be a code violation.

OP
OP

derm

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks, that is what I thought, and I'll mark as stated.
Didn't know about the Cu/Al requirment.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Thanks, that is what I thought, and I'll mark as stated.
Didn't know about the Cu/Al requirment.
Best check your code - the 3 wire no neutral, 2 hots and a ground, was grandfathered in when codes were updated in some areas, but...for a new installation, i.e., the EVSE might be considered such, you might be required to rewire with 4 conductor wire to bring it up to the current local code.

The terminals in the EVSE may not be rated for AL wire, as the other answer suggested. Look for "AL" somewhere on the inside around the terminlas - if not there, it's copper only.

If not suitable for AL, you'd risk a fire unless you used AL-to-Cu pigtails on the ends of the AL wire, for example, if code would allow you to keep the AL 3 wire supply wiring.

Words of caution:
Al wire is more subject to breaking when bent, more so than Cu.
Al also expands and contracts more with heat a cold making it subject to coming loose from some types of terminals. It is also more subject to oxidation (rust). Because of both of these factors, it might not be suitable where you are putting your EVSE, e.g., outdoors or a garage. Rust or a loose connection at the terminal, will cause resistance causing hot spots maybe causing fire.

I had to have all the branch circuits, outlets, light fixtures, etc., corrected with Al-CU pigtails in a house that had been wired with AL in the 1970's when it was legal. There had been several house fires in that development over the years a s a result. Even though it was all indoor wiring, there were some outlets where there was scorching and melted insulation.

The old range would have had Al rated terminals, or an AL rated outlet on the wall.

All things considered, if it were me, I'd bite the bullet and use a new run of copper wire.

If the EVSE is installed improperly, e.g., with Al wire when not suitable, your home insurance is going to be worthless in the event it causes a fire.

Sponsored
OP
OP

derm

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I checked the Nema 14-50 outlet is AL/Cu certified and I coated all connections with Ox-Guard. Plus have the 40amp Gfi breaker. Setup is in garage in conduit and not outside. Plus checked local Virginia code has not adapted the Nuetral requirement yet.

I'm thinking I am good for now..

I do honestly appreciate the support. Thanks

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I checked the Nema 14-50 outlet is AL/Cu certified and I coated all connections with Ox-Guard. Plus have the 40amp Gfi breaker. Setup is in garage in conduit and not outside. Plus checked local Virginia code has not adapted the Nuetral requirement yet.

I'm thinking I am good for now..

I do honestly appreciate the support. Thanks
Per Ford, for the Mobile charger, you need a 4 wire set-up (H1, H2, N and G) for the 14-50 outlet on a 50A GFCI breaker, it's the NEC and what Ford instructs. GFCI is required by code in a residential garage.

The Ford Connected charge station if hard-wired requires only 3 wire, 2H and 1G, if wired for an outlet, 4 wires, and says do not use a GFCI breaker since GFCI is included in the unit - circuit tripping will occur.

See the figures.

If you think you might one day upgrade your charger to the Pro or other higher power EVSE, then use appropriately sized wire for the upgrade per code. If hard-wiring the Pro only 3 wires are required the instructions say.

The size wire depends on the current carried, but also on the distance from the source (load panel breaker box). An electrician knows how to calculate it properly. The wire size Ford specs assume under 50-100 feet distance. If 100 feet or more, it needs heavier wire, due to the voltage drop of the wire becoming significant, and a larger breaker because more current is required to deliver the same power over a longer distance.

Somewhere I read use copper wire only for the Charge Station Pro but I can't locate it now, somewhere in a pdf.

When I had my garage wired for my L2 EVSE for my 2012 Nissan Leaf back in 2011, I chose the plug/outlet wiring option over the hard-wired in case I want to take it with me if I move to make it easier.

Ford F-150 Lightning Mobile Charger Wiring - Question w/6/2 Aluminum ? mobile charger - 4 wire plu

Ford F-150 Lightning Mobile Charger Wiring - Question w/6/2 Aluminum ? charge station -3 wire if hardwired - 4 wire if plu

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Per Ford, for the Mobile charger, you need a 4 wire set-up (H1, H2, N and G) for the 14-50 outlet on a 50A GFCI breaker, it's the NEC and what Ford instructs. GFCI is required by code in a residential garage.

The Ford Connected charge station if hard-wired requires only 3 wire, 2H and 1G, if wired for an outlet, 4 wires, and says do not use a GFCI breaker since GFCI is included in the unit - circuit tripping will occur.

See the figures.

If you think you might one day upgrade your charger to the Pro or other higher power EVSE, then use appropriately sized wire for the upgrade per code. If hard-wiring the Pro only 3 wires are required the instructions say.

The size wire depends on the current carried, but also on the distance from the source (load panel breaker box). An electrician knows how to calculate it properly. The wire size Ford specs assume under 50-100 feet distance. If 100 feet or more, it needs heavier wire, due to the voltage drop of the wire becoming significant, and a larger breaker because more current is required to deliver the same power over a longer distance.

Somewhere I read use copper wire only for the Charge Station Pro but I can't locate it now, somewhere in a pdf.

When I had my garage wired for my L2 EVSE for my 2012 Nissan Leaf back in 2011, I chose the plug/outlet wiring option over the hard-wired in case I want to take it with me if I move to make it easier.
But in practice, no EVSE uses the neutral. So itā€™ll work. I donā€™t like that youā€˜ve wired up a 14-50 without a neutral thought. You state Virgina code hasnā€™t adopted the neutral requirement?? Not sure what that means, that you can wire a 14-50 without a neutral? At any rate, glad youā€™ve marked the receptacle as having no neutral and meant for EV charging only.

Welcome to the EV world!

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But in practice, no EVSE uses the neutral. So itā€™ll work. I donā€™t like that youā€˜ve wired up a 14-50 without a neutral thought. You state Virgina code hasnā€™t adopted the neutral requirement?? Not sure what that means, that you can wire a 14-50 without a neutral? At any rate, glad youā€™ve marked the receptacle as having no neutral and meant for EV charging only.

Welcome to the EV world!
To plug in the Mobile Charger you have to use a 14-50 outlet which has 4 wires.

If you do not run the neutral wire to the outlet, it would/should not pass inspection.

Electrical inspectors in Virginia are definitely picky about stuff like that.

The NEC code for EVSE's (article 625.44) for 250V max circuits allows both 2-pole 3 wire (no neutral) and 3-pole 4 wire receptacle installations (with neutral), but does not say the 3 wire has to be a hard-wired installation.

The NEC only limits a receptacle connection to 50A and limit the supply cord to 6 feet plug to EVSE.

Of course you can't plug the 4 prong Mobile Charger into a 3 wire receptacle.

So NEC 625.44 would allow using a 3 wire receptacle (6-50 or 10-50 for example, and some brands of EVSE's use 3-prong plugs.

It might end up being cheaper to buy one of those brands with 3-prongs and use your existing 6-60 or 10-50 outlet than to have an electrician rewire the 14-50 and have the required inspection.

If you use the existing outlet, no inspection is required in Virginia.
But an inspection is required for a new installation.
The new 14-50 outlet qualifes as a new installation.

In Fairfax County some fees have been eliminated associated with installing an EVSE:

"January 25, 2023
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors authorized the exemption of all electrical, building and sign permit fees for electric vehicle charging stations (EVCS) for a trial period of 18 months. The exemption was effective Oct. 31, 2022.... A permit is still required for any new installation of EVCS, in accordance with the Uniform Statewide Building Code, and the permit holder is subject to the re-inspection fee. Freestanding charging stations also may, on rare occasion, require sign permits (for example, commercial charging stations with advertising signs). However, no permit is required if you are plugging a stand-alone charging station into an existing outlet. ..."

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/landd...alling-electric-vehicle-charging-station-2023

I can't say for sure whether the Mobile Charger actually uses both the ground AND the neutral, probably not, but I'd like to see a schematic to be sure. A lot of posts have said it does not use the neutral prong internally to the Mobile Charger.

It would be improper practice to bond (connect) the neutral and ground wires together at the load - they should only be bonded at the source (the breaker panel), so one can assume the neutral pin of the Mobile Charger is unconnected internally, that is, that it is not bonded with the ground prong.

So why does it even have 4 prongs?
Possibly because the 14-50 is a more common outlet nowadays since most new dryers etc. are 4 wire?
But only Ford knows for sure...

Just for information, not an issue with the Mobile Charger, but devices that require both 240v AND 120v would use the neutral wire to get the 120V from the 14-50 outlet.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To plug in the Mobile Charger you have to use a 14-50 outlet which has 4 wires.

If you do not run the neutral wire to the outlet, it would/should not pass inspection.

Electrical inspectors in Virginia are definitely picky about stuff like that.
PS: in some countries (UK), a GROUND ROD is required at the location of the EVSE!! Not in the US so far anyway.

Sponsored
OP
OP

derm

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am in the process of running the neutral wire. PIA for a wire we don't know if used...

My old Stove only had ground and the same 3 wires run both up and down 3ton HVAC units.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The NEC does not and has never required a neutral wire for loads that donā€™t use it (no 120V required). If an inspector fails you you for that, heā€™s making up rules.
The reason a neutral is required for ranges and dryers is because they use 120V for lights, motors, and controls.
Sponsored