• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Navigation to Superchargers

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I don't see the advantage of having these adapters if the truck can't navigate to the Tesla Superchargers without us having to use 3rd party apps to get there
That's pretty puzzling to me.

Ford Navigation is awful, pure and simple. If you use it to plan a long trip, you're in for a lot of going to slow charger issues.

Use GoogleMaps to see the direct route. Use ABRP to plan your trip, seeing if it's close to GoogleMaps, and if not WHY NOT?

Use Ford Navigation to navigate to each charger.

Or, be frustrated.

I've driven 7,000 trip miles in 2 months, last fall did 4,700.

Advantage to using Tesla:

1) More charging locations.
2) Charging locations where others don't exist (Moab, UT for example), or where they are not plentiful (Burlington, VT for example).
3) More reliable chargers.
4) Sometimes cheaper charging.
5) Less chance they are full.
Sponsored

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
I don't see the advantage of having these adapters if the truck can't navigate to the Tesla Superchargers without us having to use 3rd party apps to get there
The advantage is that you can charge there whether it's in the navigation or not.

It'll be more user-friendly once they're included in the nav and part of route planning, but I don't trust Ford Nav by itself anyway. That's a Ford issue, not a Tesla/NACS adapter issue.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
LOL, maybe its because you're a pilot. I know I couldn't fly a plane without a GPS (and lots of other things).

But I'm perfectly capable of navigating to the Bucky's in Temple Texas that has 48 stalls. Without any navigation, Ford or otherwise. :)

Ford F-150 Lightning Navigation to Superchargers 1713120527676-h0

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
3rd party apps are extremely helpful even before the Tesla adapters were availble. Fords navigation considers any charger labeled 120KW as a fast charger and will route you there instead of the 350KW EA chargers or the 250KW Tesla chargers. Around my area there are chargers labeled as 150KW but my lightning will max on them between 70KW-80KW due to the max amps that they put out. Only the Kias and Hyundai's with 800v charging can draw 150KW from them. I use plugshare and ABRP to weed these chargers out of my planned trips.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
why would some supercharger locations not show up in the tesla app when I tell them I have an adapter- are there earlier superchargers that still aren't compatible? I know of at least two supercharger clusters in my local area (the mall and the tesla store) that aren't showing up in the app.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Last edited: