• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Nema 14-50 receptacle needed?

Kipp

First Name
Kipp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Hi all. I finally got my Ford charge station pro a few days ago. Electrician is scheduled to wire it up this week. In y’all’s opinion, should I get a nema 14-50 receptacle installed also as a backup if FCSP fails? Assuming this is doable and not cost prohibitiv, I was thinking it would be nice to have a backup plan. My current situation for home charging in the charger that came with the truck @ 120 volts. Is the extra receptacle overkill or a good idea? Thanks in advance for any insight. Truck is a 23 lariat er if that has any bearing.
Sponsored

bub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Plat
I have a 14-50 installed next to my fcsp. There are quite a few here that did that.
I don't really use it as a backup. Initially I had it installed to be able to power welders. But since then the misses bought an ev, so now we can both charge at the same time.

I don't think you need it as a "backup". But If its not cost prohibitive its nice to have. Sometimes for charging its just nice to handle a lighter thinner charge cable too.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I would certainly consider that. It would open up lots of options in the future.

OP
OP
Kipp

Kipp

First Name
Kipp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It should be on its own circuit, not the same one as the FCSP.
Correct, and I believe I recall reading somewhere the 14-50 needs to be on a gfci breaker?

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Correct, and I believe I recall reading somewhere the 14-50 needs to be on a gfci breaker?
Correct, for an EV 50 amp receptacle code requires it be protected by a GFCII, BUT if for a RV it doesn't need to be GFCI. Then anything in a garage I believe is required to be GFCI. A 50 amp double pole GFCI breaker adds about $100 -$150 to the parts list.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Depends on what year’s code you’re on. Unless you’re in a municipality that has adopted a newer code, Illinois defaults to 2008 and a GFCI is not required.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
Buy the breaker bundled into a "spa panel" and you will get breaker plus enclosure for less than the cost of either.
Looking at doing this. Preparing to start the search on this spa panel option. TIA

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buy the breaker bundled into a "spa panel" and you will get breaker plus enclosure for less than the cost of either.
10 years ago, I installed a spa and purchased a 50A Midwest spa panel with GFCI breaker for $38. The same bare breaker would have been $49.
The cheapest I can find them now is $112. The breaker alone is about the same price. It’s not the deal it used to be. Need to shop around, for sure.

Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
10 years ago, I installed a spa and purchased a 50A Midwest spa panel with GFCI breaker for $38. The same bare breaker would have been $49.
The cheapest I can find them now is $112. The breaker alone is about the same price. It’s not the deal it used to be. Need to shop around, for sure.
I’m semi confused. Are you all talking about something like this to mount in my case Inside garage? This one has box, 14-50 socket and 50amp breaker. One like this or just a breaker and box kit? The one I’m showing would allow 40amp charging and cord plugged into it with door closed.
TIA
https://a.co/d/0J35iqu

Ford F-150 Lightning Nema 14-50 receptacle needed? IMG_0751

Joe Dablock

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Hi all. I finally got my Ford charge station pro a few days ago. Electrician is scheduled to wire it up this week. In y’all’s opinion, should I get a nema 14-50 receptacle installed also as a backup if FCSP fails? Assuming this is doable and not cost prohibitiv, I was thinking it would be nice to have a backup plan. My current situation for home charging in the charger that came with the truck @ 120 volts. Is the extra receptacle overkill or a good idea? Thanks in advance for any insight. Truck is a 23 lariat er if that has any bearing.
I installed a 100 amp sub panel in the garage and added a Nema 14-50 plug right beside the panel just to have it. I since got a second electric car and had to use the plug for a couple months till the second charger was installed.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m semi confused. Are you all talking about something like this to mount in my case Inside garage? This one has box, 14-50 socket and 50amp breaker. One like this or just a breaker and box kit? The one I’m showing would allow 40amp charging and cord plugged into it with door closed.
TIA
https://a.co/d/0J35iqu
No. That’s an RV panel, not a spa panel. The 14-50 in an RV panel isnt GFCI-protected (normally).

ETA - the 14-50Rs in those RV panels are the $10 junk ones.

This is a spa panel:
Ford F-150 Lightning Nema 14-50 receptacle needed? IMG_0877

Last edited:

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
No. That’s an RV panel, not a spa panel. The 14-50 in an RV panel isnt GFCI-protected (normally).
This is a spa panel:
IMG_0877.jpeg
Oops ok thanks. I know of some people use these at rv parks or very similar ones. So this is maybe like using a dryer 14-50 socket that is not GFCI with an EV too. My 14-50 50amp dryer socket on a 50amp breaker at cabin occasionally was used prob isn’t GFCI either. Lots of ways to do it but only a few right ones it seems.
TIA

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
One brand or another always seems to be on sale cheap. Midwest was owned by GE and I don't know what happened to them really with all the corporate chaos there. One nice thing about those particular panels was that they were actually listed for use with most other brands of physically compatible breakers, since Midwest never sold branded breakers.

Cheapest option I can find right now is the Square D at $70.
Sponsored