• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New to me 2022 Lariat ER - Initial Impressions

Hazmat

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
First a little about me. Live in NE MA so high electricity costs and winter plays into range etc. Not my first EV (we have had a Hyundai Ioniq 5 for 1.5 years 25K miles). This is my 6th Ford truck - dating back to a 1985 Ford F150 XL regular cab thru #5 2022 F450 Platinum diesel which we still own for 5th wheel towing. Also have a Volvo XC60 plug in hybrid. I installed a retrax roll up tonneau cover.

Arrived the first week in January with 24K miles - have put a little under 1K miles on it so far. Haven't been commuting in it since I broke my ankle in late December and have been working remote. General commute is 50 miles RT and we ski every weekend (190 miles one way to our rented house = 400+ with the trip to the mountain).

The good:
rides great, drives great.
frunk is underrated feature on a truck. No more stuffing groceries in the back seat and hoping the dog doesn't eat them. No more small items sliding around the pickup bed.
Dog's love trucks - our pooch is thrilled to be in the back seat vs. the cargo hatch.
Perfect ski truck - boots in the frunk or back seat (warming if you have heaters) and skis in the bed - don't have to climb up to a ski box. Handles snow with the best of them - especially with winter tires (Nokian Hakka R5s)

The bad:
Operating cost:
Not surprising given physics and all that - thirsty for electrons and slow charging compared to the Ioniq 5. For fun I used ABRP to look at a road trip to Cleveland OH (daughter is out there at school). 2 hours of charging for the lighting, 1 hour for the ioniq for the ~700 mile trip. This is due to both consumption and charging curve. Don't expect to save $ on "fuel" just because it is electric if you're in a high electricity cost region. Sure its better than my 450, but with $0.30 /kWH electricity - $4 a gallon gas a car with 25mpg will be less expensive. This ignores maintenance expenses. Only marginal savings compared to an ICE version F150 at least in my area.

Software:
For all the warnings about not charging to 100% they sure do make it difficult to change the charging limit. Come on Ford - do you even benchmark? on the Hyundai I can simply open the app on my phone and make a change. Generally 80-90% is more than enough for daily driving, but we head up to ski every weekend and its 190 miles one way. With cold weather, elevation gain and wind, I need 100% to make it w/o charging and have a reasonable buffer (it's not uncommon for power to go out in storms, our rental ski house has no backup generator). Having to go to the truck to change to 100% is a royal pain -especially for anyone who has mobility issues (I'm on crutches with the broken ankle).

Profiles change too much. I get seat position etc. but to have different charging limits and navigation favorites depending on profile is counterproductive.

NEWS FLASH - some of us use their trucks where there is poor or no cell service. Fordpass app won't communicate over wifi - super annoying to have to go outside in below 0 weather to preheat the cabin.

A universal EV gripe: For the love of god can you please tell me when I'm getting a "slower" DC fast charge session if its the vehicle or the charger. I'm a nerd and have since setup car scanner but my wife has no interest and is appropriately complaining - why is it so slow. (only pulling 60kW on a 125kW charger at 40% SOC)- granted it was 0 degrees F, but truck was preconditioned before we left, and charger was entered into nav system as destination - assume it was preconditioning again. A simple message - "charging power limited to xx kW due to vehicle battery temperature / charging curve etc. " or "charging power limited to xx kW due to charger" would be fantastic. Also Ford - show me the charging progress on a screen and the app so I don't need to use binoculars to look at the screen on the charger. I usually just use the charger's app to see how its doing.

Tell me it is preconditioning enroute to a charger. Hyundai puts a coil icon over the battery.

Manual preconditioning - set a 15 min limit if you need to.

Other:
9.6kW L2 (40AMP) is marginal for deep charging on a short overnight - especially given charge rate above 90% ramps down even on Level 2. Assuming a scenario where you leave after work to drive to a ski house and only have 8 hours before you depart for first chair - max 77kWH delivered (less any losses and battery warming).

The gear selector is janky - get it up on the dash as a rotary dial or a steering column stalk.
Could use a snow drive mode - my F450 has it - would be good for inexperienced drivers (i.e. my teenagers). Make drive modes a button instead of burying in the settings.

The unexpected
Can't decide which way to park when loading for a weekend getaway - face the frunk or the bed towards the house?

Blue cruise is an interesting novelty. I'd say reduces fatigue - but honestly to me - the hands free isn't that much better than the lane keeping. And - Why no warning chime when I need to take over?

Overall - most of my gripes are software related - hoping Ford will continue to support and update the truck.

Is there a "suggestions for Ford" thread somewhere.
Sponsored

Gato Meoow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Prius
had no problem charging to 80 or target 100 when I need it. Not sure what the issue is.

fordpass also connects via bluetooth so you don't need wifi, it says it in the app.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Is there a "suggestions for Ford" thread somewhere.
Pretty much every thread devolves into that :) .
You need to tell Ford directly. There is a Feedback App on your sync screen.
And sign up for Early Access. You'll get surveys.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
There's a whole bunch of misunderstanding going on here...

1) For all the warnings about not charging to 100% they sure do make it difficult to change the charging limit. Come on Ford - do you even benchmark? on the Hyundai I can simply open the app on my phone and make a change. Generally 80-90% is more than enough for daily driving, but we head up to ski every weekend and its 190 miles one way. With cold weather, elevation gain and wind, I need 100% to make it w/o charging and have a reasonable buffer (it's not uncommon for power to go out in storms, our rental ski house has no backup generator). Having to go to the truck to change to 100% is a royal pain -especially for anyone who has mobility issues (I'm on crutches with the broken ankle).

- Open app, click Charge to 100%. Or, open app, change charging location to 100%, then change it back later on...

2) NEWS FLASH - some of us use their trucks where there is poor or no cell service. Fordpass app won't communicate over wifi - super annoying to have to go outside in below 0 weather to preheat the cabin.

- Communicates via Bluetooth when within range. Truck requires a cellular connection for FordPass apps (if not within range), but phone works fine with WiFi.

3) charger was entered into nav system as destination - assume it was preconditioning again. A simple message - "charging power limited to xx kW due to vehicle battery temperature / charging curve etc. " or "charging power limited to xx kW due to charger" would be fantastic.

- Charger must be set as the destination, not the charger's location. Pick the charger, then make it a waypoint or destination.

4) Also Ford - show me the charging progress on a screen and the app so I don't need to use binoculars to look at the screen on the charger. I usually just use the charger's app to see how its doing.

- They do, both on dashboard and in app...

5) Manual preconditioning - set a 15 min limit if you need to.

- Preconditioning a cold battery takes way, way, way longer than 15 minutes.

6) 9.6kW L2 (40AMP) is marginal for deep charging on a short overnight - especially given charge rate above 90% ramps down even on Level 2. Assuming a scenario where you leave after work to drive to a ski house and only have 8 hours before you depart for first chair - max 77kWH delivered (less any losses and battery warming).

- Why are you using a 40amp charger? ER lets you charge up to 80amps... If you're talking the Ford Mobile Charger, it's 30amps, not 40amps. If you're complaining that a plug-in charger is only 40amps, that's code, not Ford.

Overall - most of my gripes are software related - hoping Ford will continue to support and update the truck.

- Overall, all of your gripes are due to your newness with the truck and not understanding features, or have been made for 2 years now on the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Hazmat

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
had no problem charging to 80 or target 100 when I need it. Not sure what the issue is.

fordpass also connects via bluetooth so you don't need wifi, it says it in the app.
it will charge to 100% I just have to go to the truck and change the setting - which is a challenge on crutches. How close does one have to be to get fordpass to connect on bluetooth? I'm maybe 50 feet away at the ski house and don't seem to be able to?

OP
OP

Hazmat

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat

1) For all the warnings about not charging to 100% they sure do make it difficult to change the charging limit. Come on Ford - do you even benchmark? on the Hyundai I can simply open the app on my phone and make a change. Generally 80-90% is more than enough for daily driving, but we head up to ski every weekend and its 190 miles one way. With cold weather, elevation gain and wind, I need 100% to make it w/o charging and have a reasonable buffer (it's not uncommon for power to go out in storms, our rental ski house has no backup generator). Having to go to the truck to change to 100% is a royal pain -especially for anyone who has mobility issues (I'm on crutches with the broken ankle).

- Open app, click Charge to 100%. Or, open app, change charging location to 100%, then change it back later on...

2) NEWS FLASH - some of us use their trucks where there is poor or no cell service. Fordpass app won't communicate over wifi - super annoying to have to go outside in below 0 weather to preheat the cabin.

- Communicates via Bluetooth when within range. Truck requires a cellular connection for FordPass apps (if not within range), but phone works fine with WiFi.

3) charger was entered into nav system as destination - assume it was preconditioning again. A simple message - "charging power limited to xx kW due to vehicle battery temperature / charging curve etc. " or "charging power limited to xx kW due to charger" would be fantastic.

- Charger must be set as the destination, not the charger's location. Pick the charger, then make it a waypoint or destination.

4) Also Ford - show me the charging progress on a screen and the app so I don't need to use binoculars to look at the screen on the charger. I usually just use the charger's app to see how its doing.

6) 9.6kW L2 (40AMP) is marginal for deep charging on a short overnight - especially given charge rate above 90% ramps down even on Level 2. Assuming a scenario where you leave after work to drive to a ski house and only have 8 hours before you depart for first chair - max 77kWH delivered (less any losses and battery warming).

- Why are you using a 40amp charger? ER lets you charge up to 80amps... If you're talking the Ford Mobile Charger, it's 30amps, not 40amps. If you're complaining that a plug-in charger is only 40amps, that's code, not Ford.

- Overall, all of your gripes are due to your newness with the truck and not understanding features, or have been made for 2 years now on the forum.
[/QUOTE]

I'm no there is no misunderstanding going on here.

[/QUOTE]

Wow - super welcoming. absolutely Nothing in my post is me not understanding how the truck works -it's opportunities to make the truck that much easier to enjoy.

charger was set as destination

I'm pretty sure I know better than some stranger on the internet what charger I'm plugged into - it's a chargepoint in case you're wondering.

bluetooth app connectivity apparently not working well for me - I'll have to investigate that.
Sponsored