• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Next GEN Ford F-150 Lightning Better Than Cybertruck: Farley

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
No one who hunts in South Texas could possibly consider an electric truck until all the ranches and hunting leases have 240V chargers at them. Same for much of rural America. The range is the killer. The ubiquitous destination Level 2 is the cure. Cars and trucks don't run 24 hours a day. They usually sit for at least 15 hours.

It's gonna take a lot more than 10 years to get everyone on board with having 240V chargers, but once that happens, maybe a transition to EV's is possible. In the meantime, mandates are ridiculous. They keep getting pushed out into the future.
The Texas NEVI plan is going fast chargers in every county seat in Texas within 5 years, that will make everywhere in Texas within 75 miles of a fast charger. Any place with air conditioning should already have 240V power so that should cover the ranches. If the hunting leases are so far out that they don’t have power and the EV owners don’t want to make a trip to town to charge, then they might consider installing solar power.

Necessity breeds adoption. EVs are coming. Solutions will become simple when there is no other choice.

Walmart actually sells a solar power trailer with a 60 kWh storage battery, put one of those up at the lease and you should always have enough power to make it back into town.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
South Texas will be uninhabitable in about 10 years and there won't be anything left to hunt because of widespread drought, so that use case really isn't going to be an issue going forward.

Seriously, a heat index of 128 is not compatible with human life and is at the upper end of the NWS heat index chart.

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
My 2022 Lightning was totaled and I haven't purchased a new one yet. I am instead using my ICE F150 while I wait to see the specs of the T3 truck. All of the specs of the current truck are great, I don't need something with more power. I only have 2 wishes for the new T3. The most important one is it better have a higher fast charging curve. 350kw would be great if it comes with that. Then I can start using the truck for longer trips and not having to wait for almost an hour at each stop. Secondly, I hope it becomes a bit more aerodynamic to maximize the range. I am sold if it comes with the higher charging curve, and hopeful that it will be more aerodynamic. I will purchase something else if it doesn't have that higher charging curve.

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
South Texas will be uninhabitable in about 10 years and there won't be anything left to hunt because of widespread drought, so that use case really isn't going to be an issue going forward.

Seriously, a heat index of 128 is not compatible with human life and is at the upper end of the NWS heat index chart.
I read a TX government statistic last year where they said much of TX will have heat index ranges of 130 and up in the next 20 years. This document came straight from the TX Government. These last 2 years have already been too hot for me and I finally left after living in TX for the last 6 years. I moved up to upper Maine this time around.

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Have Lightning; have zero desire for CT. Agree with prior comments that this gen F150 EV > all other options (no, I wouldn't trade straight across for a Rivian either)...

My spidey sense is tingling and telling me that those of us with these first gen EV trucks likely have the only EV trucks that will "look like trucks" as we currently picture them, and I envision the next gen front ends looking more like a Pontiac TranSport for those sweet aero gainz ;)

Might have this one forever... instant classic esp if there are replacement (and more efficient) packs to be had when these start getting sleepy...

Sponsored

DGDo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape Hybrid, BMW i3 REx
Occupation
Retired
I've seen a CT up close. The thing is huge. Surprisingly, the current, blocky F150 Lightning looks sleek in comparison. I don't trust Farley's hyperbole and trust Musk even less.

DeluxeStang

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
Have Lightning; have zero desire for CT. Agree with prior comments that this gen F150 EV > all other options (no, I wouldn't trade straight across for a Rivian either)...

My spidey sense is tingling and telling me that those of us with these first gen EV trucks likely have the only EV trucks that will "look like trucks" as we currently picture them, and I envision the next gen front ends looking more like a Pontiac TranSport for those sweet aero gainz ;)

Might have this one forever... instant classic esp if there are replacement (and more efficient) packs to be had when these start getting sleepy...
From what little we can see, it looks like t3 will still look like a truck, just a little lower, and more futuristic, so an improvement over the current lightning.

Ford F-150 Lightning Next GEN Ford F-150 Lightning Better Than Cybertruck: Farley IMG_20240117_155657
Sponsored