• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Come backs when people tout the CT as being magically way better than your Lightning

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Compared to the Cybertruck AWD, the Ford Lightning ER is:
Faster
Lighter
Cheaper
Actually available 18 months ago.
Larger battery
Faster charging curve 20-80%
Larger interior.
Larger total cargo volume.
Bad volume is within a couple of cubic feet.
What is a Cybertruck driver going to put in those last cubic feet up near the window? Won't it jam the cover from retracting?
Is available with dozens of types of bed covers - more versatile.
Has thousands of 3rd party manufactures who make compatible accessories including things like recovery winches, snow plows, in-bed storage systems, toolboxes, bike racks, kyak racks, motorcycle chocks, gun racks and gun safes,
Comes in 12 factory colors, 9 for no added charge. None cost $6500.
Also has electric rack and pinion steering.
Comes with a spare tire standard.
Does not show fingerprints.
You can actually see out the back. Good luck backing the CT in the rain.
Available towing mirrors.
Available sliding rear window
Available opening sun roof.
Available safe.
Availalble tailgate step

Towing is 11,000 vs 10,000. What do you actually tow at 11k with a 1/2 ton class EV, bro?

Rear steering -Turn Radius is only like 4 ft smaller on a truck that is already shorter. Seems like Tesla is making up for some bad engineering on the front with more cost/weight/failure points in the back. Maybe just learn how to park a truck?

Stainless steel - Tesla wasted all the weight savings from their giga castings and structural battery pack to make the truck bullet proof. Seems like a gimmick. Maybe consider finding a new place to live if you need a bullet proof truck? Steel slab sides is like battleship technology. Ford's "innovative" aluminum skin actually saves weight.

Even the F150L Pro version is just as fast as the CT AWD and only costs $49k.
Sponsored

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
CT owners are most likely hard-core Tesla fanboys so it'll be a tough sell...

But, I'm curious though what a thing like that (CT) would cost to insure.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I say:
I hope you like it when you get it as much as I like the Lightning, I have had it for a year already.
(the year isn't entirely true...)
I would say the same thing and add that they most likely paid at least 50% more than I did.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Nice list đź‘Ť
The big wins for CT are 800V, 48V, and the steering system.
As an early Lightning Pro owner price wins most debates. That aside, I will accept delivery of a non foundation CT when my # is called. I also own a Model Y and the Tesla software and DCFC advantage isn’t debatable.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Nice list đź‘Ť
As an early Lightning Pro owner price wins most debates. That aside, I will accept delivery of a non foundation CT when my # is called. I also own a Model Y and the Tesla software and DCFC advantage isn’t debatable.
The 800v battery is of no help on V2 Superchargers. And the charging curves of the CT look slower than other Teslas at this point. Even slower than the Lightning.

DCFC Supercharging is going to become less of a debate as 15,000 Superchargers open up to other vehicles coming soon.

48v wiring might be lighter than 12v, but then they threw away that advantage and weighed the thing down with all that bulletproof iron. Looks like a battleship. Actually ends up heavier curb weight than the bigger Lightning.

Many modern vehicles have electric rack and pinion steering. They just keep the mechanical connection as the backup. I am not a fan of the variable steering ratio they have implemented. Seems too sensitive for many new drivers. Munro himself reportedly banged into a pillar when he first drove the CT.

Sponsored

EigenSolver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru, 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
Steer by wire is cool from an engineering standpoint, but I have not seen anything about redundancy built into the system - I would think that a completely redundant control system with its own independent power supply would be needed, but have not seen anything about that. Otherwise, if the system power is cut off for some reason (I’ve had that happen on an ICE vehicle before, though to be fair it was a 20+ year old Honda civic) it seems like you would have no steering input from inside the cabin.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Steer by wire is cool from an engineering standpoint, but I have not seen anything about redundancy built into the system - I would think that a completely redundant control system with its own independent power supply would be needed, but have not seen anything about that. Otherwise, if the system power is cut off for some reason (I’ve had that happen on an ICE vehicle before, though to be fair it was a 20+ year old Honda civic) it seems like you would have no steering input from inside the cabin.
The drawing of the unit on Tesla parts looks a lot like a standard electric steering rack. But no steering wheel shaft input. Has two motors - one on each side, likely for redundancy.
Ford F-150 Lightning Come backs when people tout the CT as being magically way better than your Lightning 1704341142038

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
One benefit of the CT is that it's great if you have to install microwave ovens...
Ford F-150 Lightning Come backs when people tout the CT as being magically way better than your Lightning CyberTruck1985

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Nice list đź‘Ť
The 800v battery is of no help on V2 Superchargers. And the charging curves of the CT look slower than other Teslas at this point. Even slower than the Lightning.

DCFC Supercharging is going to become less of a debate as 15,000 Superchargers open up to other vehicles coming soon.

48v wiring might be lighter than 12v, but then they threw away that advantage and weighed the thing down with all that bulletproof iron. Looks like a battleship. Actually ends up heavier curb weight than the bigger Lightning.

Many modern vehicles have electric rack and pinion steering. They just keep the mechanical connection as the backup. I am not a fan of the variable steering ratio they have implemented. Seems too sensitive for many new drivers. Munro himself reportedly banged into a pillar when he first drove the CT.
SC access won’t be as ubiquitous and straightforward with non Tesla’s. The Tesla app is currently required for non Tesla charging and I don't expect that to change at least initially. My 800V Ioniq 5 charged fast, but didn’t use 4680 cells. Hopefully Tesla can improve charging speeds with OTA updates plus other tweaks. Thermodynamics are a big win with Tesla vehicles. Tesla Software, thermodynamics, and drivetrain/motors are class leading. What ever vehicles they make will have those benefits.

The new technology introduced in the CT requires a vetting process to determine its potential effectiveness. Not many CT’s have been sold, so there is little evidence so far.
Sponsored