• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Next GEN Ford F-150 Lightning Better Than Cybertruck: Farley

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
Great....now I'm going to be strung out on new Lightnings. :cry:

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’m optimistic for the T3, but the highlights of the article are a bit concerning. Personally, I could really care less about “flexible cabins” or “digital experiences” since the current Lightning is perfectly fine in both of those regards (besides the software bugs). Even the current drivetrain power is fantastic and I really don’t see a practical need for more than 600 HP in a half ton platform outside of specialty stuff like Raptors.

I really hope they are focusing on manufacturing efficiency with a clean sheet design to keep price in check, and also using the design on massively increasing the range. That was *BY FAR* the biggest letdown of the Cybertruck reveal was the price and the removal of the 500 mile range truck option. Seeing the range loss % numbers in cold, or interstate highway speeds, or towing scenarios show that there is definitely a need for a 500-600 mile range truck so that the real world usable range gets whacked back down to the 300 mile point that I think most people would be comfortable switching from gas trucks.

Personally, I’ll be holding onto my ER for a while until something like this is on the market, cause range is really the only thing that I wish the my current Lightning did better.

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
I cringe when Farley starts getting excited and starts rambling like a used car salesman. He said the same thing about the new mustang and out popped a Camaro. To be able to go from 0-EV truck in only a few years is amazing but shows just how good ford makes a truck. ….
and agree- looks like the current lightning is better overall. And I could be reading more into this than I should but I almost think Ford was scared a few months ago right before the release of the cyber truck and almost was cushioning their expectation for Competing against Tesla but when they saw the actual truck it gave them a bit more energy and confidence for what ford can do in the future.

Sponsored
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, BMW 3 series
Occupation
Engineer
I agree with COrocket that there is a real need for a 500-600 mile (EPA) truck, given range reduction while towing and in cold weather. Obviously, Tesla's 4680's are a disappointment thus far, making Cybertruck a much less formidable competitor than we thought it would be, and GM is pricing itself out of the market with their massive truck battery packs. I'm looking with interest at Nio's 150 kWh sold-state batteries (with battery supplier Solid State Lion), as well as ONE's hybrid-chemistry battery packs. Will Ford have the courage to leapfrog the competition, adopt next-generation battery technology, and deliver a 500-600 mile truck? And will they unveil a Ranger-size electric pickup with less mass, greater efficiency, as well as greater maneuverability? Til then, I'll continue to enjoy my 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, which doesn't look like a 1981 DeLorean ("Looks like the future," my Aunt Fanny :)), whose interior is quiet, comfortable, and usable, and doesn't look like it came from Ikea :). In my mind, the biggest advantage the Cybertruck has over the Lightning is rear-wheel steering, which I'll admit, would be very nice around town. Otherwise, Cybertruck is a giant "Meh" for me.

Last edited:

DeluxeStang

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
I’m optimistic for the T3, but the highlights of the article are a bit concerning. Personally, I could really care less about “flexible cabins” or “digital experiences” since the current Lightning is perfectly fine in both of those regards (besides the software bugs). Even the current drivetrain power is fantastic and I really don’t see a practical need for more than 600 HP in a half ton platform outside of specialty stuff like Raptors.

I really hope they are focusing on manufacturing efficiency with a clean sheet design to keep price in check, and also using the design on massively increasing the range. That was *BY FAR* the biggest letdown of the Cybertruck reveal was the price and the removal of the 500 mile range truck option. Seeing the range loss % numbers in cold, or interstate highway speeds, or towing scenarios show that there is definitely a need for a 500-600 mile range truck so that the real world usable range gets whacked back down to the 300 mile point that I think most people would be comfortable switching from gas trucks.

Personally, I’ll be holding onto my ER for a while until something like this is on the market, cause range is really the only thing that I wish the my current Lightning did better.
Ford has said their strategy moving forward is focusing on maximizing efficiency with the smallest battery packs possible rather than engaging in the massive battery pack wars other brands are getting involved in. Much more streamlined areo, and looks, less blocky. Lower ground clearance, lighter weight, all great improvements.

I believe their three rows are targeting a range of at least 350 miles with a battery pack of 100 KHW or less. Someone mentioned how the drag coefficient for the three row SUVs was targeted to be around 0.26, but looks very iffy. We'll see how T3 does in terms of areo.

OP
OP
TaxmanHog

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Ford has said their strategy moving forward is focusing on maximizing efficiency with the smallest battery packs possible rather than engaging in the massive battery pack wars other brands are getting involved in. Much more streamlined areo, and looks, less blocky. Lower ground clearance, lighter weight, all great improvements.

I believe their three rows are targeting a range of at least 350 miles with a battery pack of 100 KHW or less. Someone mentioned how the drag coefficient for the three row SUVs was targeted to be around 0.26, but looks very iffy. We'll see how T3 does in terms of areo.
I for one want to see revolutionary improvements in "towing" range, granted most Lightning owners are grocery getters, but I'm hopeful.

Sponsored

LightningB514

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Accountant
To be honest, I still prefer the Lightning over the Cybertruck for practicality. The Cybertruck does look pretty sweet but that’s pretty much it for me.
For the next Lightning Gen, all I would care about is a higher range battery, like 500 miles at least and more accurate range consumption. It sucks that when I have to drive 60 miles away, I end up using close to 100 miles in range. I would feel much better if the range consumption was closer to reality. That’s pretty much all I would really want to see.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Someone mentioned how the drag coefficient for the three row SUVs was targeted to be around 0.26, but looks very iffy. We'll see how T3 does in terms of areo.
I am amazed the new Kia E9 is listed with a drag efficiency of 0.28. If that is true, a 0.26 may be possible without making the vehicle look like a teardrop.

FinsNBolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I'll believe it when I see it. Hard to believe this guy has ever used FordPass himself.
I have absolutely no evidence to support this, but for whatever reason, I get the impression that Farley’s kids have influenced the desire to make Ford chase Tesla’s technology.

I thought I remember somewhere Farley mentioning he has teenage kids when he was discussing the charging infrastructure and how they mocked him for having to find a mall parking lot to charge the lightning while praising teslas chargers.

I really like to hear him talk about software because it means they recognize a weakness in the product. We all know range is the most important factor, but that is going to take a long time to solve. Farley has gone on record saying they want to increase charge speed so that the range concerns are not a problem.

We all know Tesla is the cool kids tech company. They absolutely prioritize having the best technology and improving it. They have that system down. I think we can all agree that technology is the one area legacy automakers just have no experience.

I keep being disappointed by how Ford handles the software updates for our current trucks, but I’m hoping this is a massive learning lesson for them in the next iteration. They have to open their mind and rethink how they have done things for decades. If that means weird brainstorming sessions thinking about a “lounge” in the truck, it also means they aren’t too stubborn in their old ways and they are willing to adapt.
Sponsored