• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Noob needs some guidance

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat SR, LC500
Hello! My house has this type of plug that also says 50A. What Do I need to get, does the 2022 lariat come with what I need or is some adaptor needed?

Ford F-150 Lightning Noob needs some guidance 82ED32B7-36EE-4DBB-BDE7-0D5CD189DAE9
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Without knowing more information (SR or ER, verification that outlet us on a 50a breaker)...

2022 Lariat will come with the Mobile Charging Cord. That will work with that outlet. That will work for you at up to 30a to charge your Lightning.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Hello! My house has this type of plug that also says 50A. What Do I need to get, does the 2022 lariat come with what I need or is some adaptor needed?

82ED32B7-36EE-4DBB-BDE7-0D5CD189DAE9.jpeg
This appears to be what you have installed

I would verify the amperage of the circuit serving this outlet is 50A as @BennyTheBeaver noted above….Ford recommends the circuit be GFCI-protected and Industrial Grade (Legrand states yours is….) if your going to be removing the MCS’s NEMA 14-50 plug often (included with the unit). https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/suvs-crossovers/mache/ev-charging-stations/pdf/Mach-E MPC Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL(51)_2.pdf

All that being said, I’m personally (and, may be in the minority here) not a fan of using NEMA 14-50 or other higher amp recepticals for continuous load devices long term….I’ve seen too many plug/receptical failures during my years (retired) investigating fires and observing some contributed to by resistance heating……

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
As Firestop noted, this will work. Many people charge EVs from a 14-50 outlet like this. You can sustain a charge rate of 40 Amps and the mobile charger that is added by default as an option with the truck plugs right into it.

First priority though is to verify the circuit is properly wired. It needs adequate wire and a 50 Amp breaker in your panel. The 14-50 outlet is the most commonly mis-installed outlet in North America. First and foremost they are often installed on 30 Amp circuits for clothes dryer use. And often have wires over or under torqued when connecting the outlet or the breaker which ultimately fails. Also as Firestop said above, resistance heating is a thing with poor wiring or lower quality outlets, using the wrong gauge of wire….

Not trying to scare you off, just have a qualified electrician check it over and you should be good to go.

If you buy a Lightning with the ER battery it will come with the Charge Station Pro, which is a hardwired EV charger. It could be wired to your 50 Amp circuit instead of the 14-50 outlet. That would still charge at the same 40 Amps, but give you a clean wall mounted charger setup. If you have capacity in your electrical panel and can run the proper wiring, the Charge Station Pro can be installed on up to a 100 Amp circuit for charging at up to 80 Amps. This charger also supports the Home Power Backup functionality, which requires extra hardware and setup.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible

I would verify the amperage of the circuit serving this outlet is 50A as @BennyTheBeaver noted above….Ford recommends the circuit be GFCI-protected and Industrial Grade (Legrand states yours is….) if your going to be removing the MCS’s NEMA 14-50 plug often (included with the unit). https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/suvs-crossovers/mache/ev-charging-stations/pdf/Mach-E MPC Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL(51)_2.pdf

All that being said, I’m personally (and, may be in the minority here) not a fan of using NEMA 14-50 or other higher amp recepticals for continuous load devices long term….I’ve seen too many plug/receptical failures during my years (retired) investigating fires and observing some contributed to by resistance heating……
The only thing I disagree on here is the use of GFCI protection. Most EV chargers have built-in protection and while Ford "recommends" it other brands like chargepoint discourage GFCI as a nuisance trip can stop your charge overnight. You will probably end up buying a more capable charger in the future and leaving the ford mobile charger in the truck for emergencies.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat SR, LC500
As Firestop noted, this will work. Many people charge EVs from a 14-50 outlet like this. You can sustain a charge rate of 40 Amps and the mobile charger that is added by default as an option with the truck plugs right into it.

First priority though is to verify the circuit is properly wired. It needs adequate wire and a 50 Amp breaker in your panel. The 14-50 outlet is the most commonly mis-installed outlet in North America. First and foremost they are often installed on 30 Amp circuits for clothes dryer use. And often have wires over or under torqued when connecting the outlet or the breaker which ultimately fails. Also as Firestop said above, resistance heating is a thing with poor wiring or lower quality outlets, using the wrong gauge of wire….

Not trying to scare you off, just have a qualified electrician check it over and you should be good to go.

If you buy a Lightning with the ER battery it will come with the Charge Station Pro, which is a hardwired EV charger. It could be wired to your 50 Amp circuit instead of the 14-50 outlet. That would still charge at the same 40 Amps, but give you a clean wall mounted charger setup. If you have capacity in your electrical panel and can run the proper wiring, the Charge Station Pro can be installed on up to a 100 Amp circuit for charging at up to 80 Amps. This charger also supports the Home Power Backup functionality, which requires extra hardware and setup.
I will be getting an SR. If it helps, the house is new construction and the builder said this is for electric car charging. Is it still worth getting an electrician to come out to look at it?

Since it is a 2022 Lariat SR, I didn't see the Ford Mobile Charger listed on the window sticker. This is a dealer stock I am being offered at MSRP, so I do not know if it will be included. I have it added on my 2023 order that I will cancel once I pickup the 2022.

OP
OP

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat SR, LC500

My place is new construction and was advertised as used for electric car charging. Should I get the Ford Mobile Charger or something on Amazon (I see Emporia or Lectron thrown around)? I would ideally leave it plugged into the wall.

OP
OP

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat SR, LC500
Without knowing more information (SR or ER, verification that outlet us on a 50a breaker)...

2022 Lariat will come with the Mobile Charging Cord. That will work with that outlet. That will work for you at up to 30a to charge your Lightning.
My 2022 will be the SR version of the Lariat. I know the 2023 makes it an "option", but if the 2022 does come with it, is that enough to be a solution I can leave plugged into the wall? I see some threads mention if its 50A, you could get one that charges up to 40A? However, I don't fully understand.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
2022 models come with a Mobile Charging Cord. Your dealer would have to purposely withhold it from you.

If you don't get a Ford Mobile Charger buy one off Amazon instead. Much better options for less.

Yes, 40a max on a 50a breaker.

OP
OP

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat SR, LC500
The only thing I disagree on here is the use of GFCI protection. Most EV chargers have built-in protection and while Ford "recommends" it other brands like chargepoint discourage GFCI as a nuisance trip can stop your charge overnight. You will probably end up buying a more capable charger in the future and leaving the ford mobile charger in the truck for emergencies.
Any recommendations for one to leave plugged into the wall? The house is new construction and I was told this garage outlet is for electric charging.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat SR, LC500
2022 models come with a Mobile Charging Cord. Your dealer would have to purposely withhold it from you.

If you don't get a Ford Mobile Charger buy one off Amazon instead. Much better options for less.
Good to know! Any recommendations? Will these wall units know whether to charge at 30 or 40? I saw in another thread not to go up to 50 for this outlet, but I'm not sure if I am interpreting that correctly.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Good to know! Any recommendations? Will these wall units know whether to charge at 30 or 40? I saw in another thread not to go up to 50 for this outlet, but I'm not sure if I am interpreting that correctly.
Call your dealer and verify whether or not the Mobile Charging Cord comes with the truck. If it doesn't, there are multiple threads on this Forum with great suggestions for EVSEs.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Any recommendations for one to leave plugged into the wall? The house is new construction and I was told this garage outlet is for electric charging.
I currently have a Lectron 32amp I purchased when I bought my Kona EV last year. When I'm ready to upgrade my plan is to get the ChargePoint Home Flex. But there are many other good brands out there. There is guy on YouTube, search "state of charge" that reviews most of them.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
If you are buying it new and it is a 2022, then the mobile charger is included and will be in the frunk. I also bought new dealer stock and it was included.

It is a perfectly fine 32A charger, many MachE and Lightning owners use it. I have had one installed for several months for my son's Mach-E. Consider yourself lucky that it is a new home and it is pre-wired. My bet is they ran 6/3 Romex to the outlet so maximum breaker size is 50 amp.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
A 40 breaker is sufficient for the included Mobile Charger. And any other 32A EVSE.
Sponsored