• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Onboard scales/smart hitch removed on Lariat ER window sticker

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
It's going to be seriously hard to buy a used 2020 -2022 vehicle if you are looking for a specific feature. So many things have been removed from some but not all vehicles.

I hope they get this added back by the end of the year because I really want that feature and I'm assuming the scales will be difficult if not impossible to add back on.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I know that it is not how things work, but it would be great if order holders (not yet owners) could be contacted and told that we need X number to go without a specific option and we are taking volunteers at xxx dollar amount. Work the dollar figure up until enough people accept. It should have worked that way with the platinum seats.

Again, it's not going to happen, but what if they didn't have enough batteries. Would they sell you an ER, but remove the extra and give you a $1000 credit ... Seems that is how the platinum seats worked.

OP
OP

JLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, 2015 Mustang GT, 2005 GX470
It's going to be seriously hard to buy a used 2020 -2022 vehicle if you are looking for a specific feature. So many things have been removed from some but not all vehicles.

I hope they get this added back by the end of the year because I really want that feature and I'm assuming the scales will be difficult if not impossible to add back on.
It depends which features are missing - if it's the taillights that light up as the bed gets heavier, if it's the ECU that does the thinking, if it's the sensors under the bed that detect how much the suspension has compressed, etc.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
There's going to be one big blue sad robot at REVC. The scales calibrator robot has been the star of stage and screen from the launch.

I really think they should move the order holders, at their option, to first build priority when the chips are available MY22 or MY23 and protect their order price. Then, contact order holders with similar builds and offer the delete option stripped trucks to them as they are built.

As VT said, it ain't gonna happen.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
There's going to be one big blue sad robot at REVC. The scales calibrator robot has been the star of stage and screen from the launch.

I really think they should move the order holders, at their option, to first build priority when the chips are available MY22 or MY23 and protect their order price. Then, contact order holders with similar builds and offer the delete option stripped trucks to them as they are built.

My assumption: they vastly prefer to bloat their vehicle delivery stats (“we delivered [X] thousand trucks in 2022!”) than push orders

the only thing that could make me madder than paying $12,000 for the nearly nothing Platinum trim upgrades, would be paying $12,000 for literally nothing

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Give people the option. Let them choose the deleted options. Manage expectations and have happy customers. It does make things harder for Ford to offer the choices, but it is the kind of thing that makes everyone happy.

"Your smart scales have been deleted. Here is $650"

vs "Sorry we don't have the supplies that we thought we were. We will need to delete some options. You can get your truck now if you delete the scales and will get a 650 credit. If you would like to keep them we will price protect your order and we will get it built as soon as we have adequate supplies. We anticipate a 6 month additional wait." Now the customer is not happy, but gets to make a choice and therefore has "bought in" to the outcome. Both should be acceptable to Ford.

Edit:
Probably more costly for Ford, but another option would be option delete with a $amount and at a later date add the option back to the vehicle for the same $amount. If after 14 months you don't miss the feature, you don't add it. Many people would get used to not have something and will feel better initially if they have the option to add it back at a later date. Ford, please help you customers to feel good about whatever situation you put them in. I didn't choose to wait until 8/29 to get built, when you have already run out of some supplies. You scheduled me there! The guy who placed an order in April and got built in late July...You scheduled them before you scheduled the guy who placed an order in January. Your scheduling is causing these issues. Do whatever you can to help your customers feel good about the outcome. I wouldn't go so far as to say you are screwing the customer, but if you are screwing them, the least you can do is let them choose how they want it and have them feel good about it.

Last edited:

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
What makes me think it is the controller that is an issue is that it also say integrated brake controller with the smart scales...if both are actually taken off that is a massive difference as they basically took away the entire tow tech package and gave a credit for half of what it is worth.
What is the point of having the truck if you have to install an ugly aftermarket brake controller if you want to tow?
Hopefully it is just a module missing and can be added at a later date.

OP
OP

JLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Frankly, I'd appreciate an offer to skip this order and be first in line for the first wave of 2023's, but at this point Ford hasn't even told me about this issue themselves so I doubt I am going to get anywhere with anything there.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No trailer brake controller is huge. Yes there are aftermarket options, but if you want to tow anything to be at weighs more than 2 or 3 thousand pounds you need this. If you are taking away most of the package, then take the whole package and credit the whole amount. IF the trailer brake controller is deleted, then it is not a truck that can tow 10k and all the criticisms about not being able to tow with it would be true!

Sponsored
OP
OP

JLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No trailer brake controller is huge. Yes there are aftermarket options, but if you want to tow anything to be at weighs more than 2 or 3 thousand pounds you need this. If you are taking away most of the package, then take the whole package and credit the whole amount. IF the trailer brake controller is deleted, then it is not a truck that can tow 10k and all the criticisms about not being able to tow with it would be true!
Oh I didn't even think about that.

This is what my window sticker reads:

ONBOARD SCALE/SMART HITCH RMVL - 650.00
INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE CONT

It's not clear whether that's including the brake controller or if it's removing it -- if I don't have a brake controller I may actually refuse delivery..

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh I didn't even think about that.

This is what my window sticker reads:

ONBOARD SCALE/SMART HITCH RMVL - 650.00
INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE CONT

It's not clear whether that's including the brake controller or if it's removing it -- if I don't have a brake controller I may actually refuse delivery..
It may only be deletion of the smart hitch/scale. Integrated trailer brake controller is still included. We will see...it is still two weeks for me to get my sticker. Ford will probably come up with some other way to disappoint by then.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Well that might explain why some builds were being put on hold for the hitch & scale options.

Ah, I guess that's why my build delivered so quickly (29 days) - SR battery - no options - no tow packages - just a basic Lariat.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It may only be deletion of the smart hitch/scale. Integrated trailer brake controller is still included. We will see...it is still two weeks for me to get my sticker. Ford will probably come up with some other way to disappoint by then.
Just the scale and hitch is how I read it (I would bet the smart hitch needs the scales to work, but I could be wrong).

OP
OP

JLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My dealer just called - they still can't get an answer on what's going on with the removed features.
They did say my truck has been released to body, which he believes is for the spray-in bedliner -
then pending quality checks prior to shipment. It says ETA of August 15, but he said don't count on that date.

Maybe we'll figure it out on delivery, or maybe never, lol.
Sponsored