• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

One pedal driving

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Now you have me questioning my settings. I was pretty sure that my truck creeps like one with an automatic transmission does, but it absolutely does not behave like a manual with the clutch depressed. I have more experimenting to do before I comment again with certainty.
Mine absolutely acts like an auto transmission when 1 pedal is off. I leave one pedal off because it acts this way and makes it easier for my wife to transition from her car to my truck. When pulling into my garage I use brake only. I let off the brake and the truck moves forward. I apply brake to slow the truck down when approaching my front wall which I have to be about 2 inches from to clean the garage door.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Now you have me questioning my settings. I was pretty sure that my truck creeps like one with an automatic transmission does, but it absolutely does not behave like a manual with the clutch depressed. I have more experimenting to do before I comment again with certainty.
My comments are based on how I think it works. I only drove without 1PD more than 2 years ago when I first got my Mach-E. Once I discovered 1PD, I’ve never looked back. My Lightning has been in 1PD since I drove it off the lot.

It wouldn’t be the first thing that behaves differently between the MME & the Lightning, and updates could have changed how the Mach-E behaves over the 2 years. I know there have been some pedal feel changes relating to 1PD.

I’m interested in your findings!

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
My comments are based on how I think it works. I only drove without 1PD more than 2 years ago when I first got my Mach-E. Once I discovered 1PD, I’ve never looked back. My Lightning has been in 1PD since I drove it off the lot.
On both my son's 2022 Mach-E and my 2022 Lightning, it acts like an automatic transmission when 1PD is off and autohold is off. If you are in Drive it creeps forward depending on slope. If you are in Reverse it creeps backward based on slope. In both cases it moves on level ground. I have not tried Neutral - but maybe then it rolls freely either direction based on slope.

Getting in and out of my garage I never use the accelerator pedal. Both vehicles move quite well on their own in Drive and Reverse while I ride the brake to keep from crashing into the wall or hitting my mirrors (very tight parking).

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
When stopped, no 1PD, and no Autohold, the truck should behave just like an ICE with manual transmission and the clutch depressed. It can roll either direction if there is enough slope for gravity to over come friction and inertia.
The electric motor should not be applying any torque.
Perhaps this happens when in Neutral. It took me all of nine months since I got my truck in May 2023 to realize that with no 1PD and no AutoHold, when you shift into Drive, the truck behaves like an ICE automatic transmission.

I was always in 2PD with AutoHold ON, since Autohold seemed like a good thing. The trouble was if I was pulling into my garage, where I only had 10 inches to spare front and back, if I stopped a few inches too short of the back wall, I was always afraid to try gently stepping on the accelerator that close to the wall for fear of lurching forward. So, I'd always back up a few feet and start my approach over a safer distance from the wall.

Not sure how AutoHold got turned off. Perhaps in early January, when the truck was at the dealer for the Sync recall and the BECM and BSM CSPs, some dealership driver wanted more ICE-like behavior, especially in the close quarters of the dealer's lots. But now it's great creeping into my garage when approaching the back wall. I just ease off the brake, and the truck very slowly starts forward. And since my foot's already on the brake, I'm ready to stop on a dime from 50+ years of reflex 2PD driving. I get the stopping point right the first time now.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Perhaps this happens when in Neutral. It took me all of nine months since I got my truck in May 2023 to realize that with no 1PD and no AutoHold, when you shift into Drive, the truck behaves like an ICE automatic transmission.

I was always in 2PD with AutoHold ON, since Autohold seemed like a good thing. The trouble was if I was pulling into my garage, where I only had 10 inches to spare front and back, if I stopped a few inches too short of the back wall, I was always afraid to try gently stepping on the accelerator that close to the wall for fear of lurching forward. So, I'd always back up a few feet and start my approach over a safer distance from the wall.

Not sure how AutoHold got turned off. Perhaps in early January, when the truck was at the dealer for the Sync recall and the BECM and BSM CSPs, some dealership driver wanted more ICE-like behavior, especially in the close quarters of the dealer's lots. But now it's great creeping into my garage when approaching the back wall. I just ease off the brake, and the truck very slowly starts forward. And since my foot's already on the brake, I'm ready to stop on a dime from 50+ years of reflex 2PD driving. I get the stopping point right the first time now.
I have no problem inching into place using 1PD. I guess it’s what you get used to.

Sponsored

butterfb

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Senior Support Engineer
I love the one pedal, great for slow traffic, I have actually seen my stress level lower when driving through the daily traffic jams as im not having to bounce back and forth pedals.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
When in neutral (no auto hold) the truck will roll freely.
So freely that at the car wash I have to put the brake on until the roller-thingy starts to move me, otherwise I'd roll backwards out of the place.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I have no problem inching into place using 1PD. I guess it’s what you get used to.
My comment was simply relative to the effect of AutoHold on DRIVE in 2PD driving. I didn't want to start a new thread just to make that comment. After a bit of searching, this thread on 1PD driving and your comment on AutoHold, which enabled me to figure out that AutoHold being off was what was allowing creeping behavior in 2PD Drive, seemed to be the best excuse to jump into the thread. Not disagreeing in any way with those who think 1PD driving is the way to go.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Last night while testing various drive modes for how much passive/blended regeneration is created, I noticed the torque creep like an automatic transmission does when in drive and in 2PD (1PD Off).

I think it's just a matter of how tuned in we get to either mode of drive, the most important thing is to do what makes you comfortable and confident in controlling your truck.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Last night while testing various drive modes for how much passive/blended regeneration is created, I noticed the torque creep like an automatic transmission does when in drive and in 2PD (1PD Off).

I think it's just a matter of how tuned in we get to either mode of drive, the most important thing is to do what makes you comfortable and confident in controlling your truck.
Autohold was off?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer
I live on 1PD, especially in the Lightning. On certain trips, its literally the thing that makes the difference between getting to our destination on our existing charge and having to go to the horrific public charging stations on our route. Especially on the hilly sections in NY state and Vermont, those downhill sections get the job done!
Sponsored