• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

One Pedal vs Two Pedal Driving — which is more efficient?

sdingeldein

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
Does anyone know which is more "fuel efficient", one pedal drive or regular two pedal driving?
Sponsored

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance, Lightning Lariat Extended
Porsche believes regular two pedal driving is more efficient, so they don’t offer one pedal on the Taycan.

I honestly don’t know, but I use one pedal because I enjoy it and will prolong the life of my brakes.

John Becker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Light'g Lariat SR, '18 Audi S5 Cabriolet
1-PD and 2-PD allegedly have the same efficiency. A lot depends on your preferences and driving habits. I tried both ways and have a strong preference for Normal 2-PD. My ability to feather the accelerator isn't good and therefore "jerky" using 1-PD. Therefore, (for me) 2-PD is the most fuel efficient.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
1-PD and 2-PD allegedly have the same efficiency. A lot depends on your preferences and driving habits. I tried both ways and have a strong preference for Normal 2-PD. My ability to feather the accelerator isn't good and therefore "jerky" using 1-PD. Therefore, (for me) 2-PD is the most fuel efficient.
Agreed with the first sentence. Whichever setting makes you use the friction brakes less is your most efficient mode.

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2012 Honda Civic
Occupation
Audio Engineer
It took me a few hours, but I am now as smooth with the 1-pedal as using two. The trickiest part for me to learn was canceling the cruise control.

That being said if it is extremely icy out I tend to use the two-pedal mode.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The trickiest part for me to learn was canceling the cruise control.
Yeah, that'll cause you some harsh brake-check fun when 1PD is on and you're not ready on the accelerator. I use the CANCEL/RESUME button on the steering wheel when I can. I also turn off 1PD when I'm using cruise control so that the truck will free roll/light-regen when I cancel the cruise control.

Ford really needs to put a software 1PD on/off control available in the top tray of the center display. Give me an option to turn 1PD on and off without the distraction of going into the Settings screen.

The most efficient (perfect world) driving is done with the very least amount of friction brake touching the rotors AND the very least amount of regenerative braking. No matter how good you are at 1PD, you're going to introduce some regenerative braking where no braking is necessary. It's great in traffic. Not so great on the highway.

First Name
Jansen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Snow Removal, Landscaping
Yeah, that'll cause you some harsh brake-check fun when 1PD is on and you're not ready on the accelerator. I use the CANCEL/RESUME button on the steering wheel when I can. I also turn off 1PD when I'm using cruise control so that the truck will free roll/light-regen when I cancel the cruise control.

Ford really needs to put a software 1PD on/off control available in the top tray of the center display. Give me an option to turn 1PD on and off without the distraction of going into the Settings screen.

The most efficient (perfect world) driving is done with the very least amount of friction brake touching the rotors AND the very least amount of regenerative braking. No matter how good you are at 1PD, you're going to introduce some regenerative braking where no braking is necessary. It's great in traffic. Not so great on the highway.
I only drive 1 Pedal Driving and switching between cruise and 1PD smoothly took a bit. All it takes is lightly pushing the pedal and then canceling and there's zero jerkiness in my experience. I find friends are always surprised how smooth the Lightning goes.

Oh, and you can set a Memory Recall with 2Pedal and it'll remember that setting when you recall! In fact, memory recall seems to act like another profile where it saves most settings.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I only drive 1 Pedal Driving and switching between cruise and 1PD smoothly took a bit. All it takes is lightly pushing the pedal and then canceling and there's zero jerkiness in my experience. I find friends are always surprised how smooth the Lightning goes.

Oh, and you can set a Memory Recall with 2Pedal and it'll remember that setting when you recall! In fact, memory recall seems to act like another profile where it saves most settings.
Yes, if you associate a memory button with a profile, pressing that button loads the profile.

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
I've noticed absolutely no difference in efficiency between 1PD and 2PD. The Lightning has blended brakes and it will regen whenever it can regardless of driving mode. You're not using the friction brakes anyway until the truck thinks the regen isn't sufficient and switches over. I generally get 100% braking score when braking while in 2PD and I hardly if ever use 1PD anymore.

davkhow

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Porsche believes regular two pedal driving is more efficient, so they don’t offer one pedal on the Taycan.

I honestly don’t know, but I use one pedal because I enjoy it and will prolong the life of my brakes.
I heard that Teslas (maybe just early ones) did not use re-gen when pressing on the brake petal. So all the brake petal did was actuate the friction brakes. That's why they originally said 1PD was better and more efficient because it was the only mode that used re-gen.

The Lightning is basically the same either in 1 or 2PD. Since pressing the brake petal will use re-gen up to a certain point. If you're in 2PD and consistently get the brake coach to say 100% returned, it's the exact same as always being in 1PD.

All that to say it most likely doesn't make a difference in efficiency or brake wear as long as you're not always slamming on the brakes

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I've noticed absolutely no difference in efficiency between 1PD and 2PD. The Lightning has blended brakes and it will regen whenever it can regardless of driving mode. You're not using the friction brakes anyway until the truck thinks the regen isn't sufficient and switches over. I generally get 100% braking score when braking while in 2PD and I hardly if ever use 1PD anymore.
Exactly. 1PD, 2PD, Sport, Normal, ...

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I think they are the same...if you drive the same in each mode.
My guess is, most people who go 2-pedal, drive "normal" while those going 1-pedal are constantly thinking about being efficient, hence probably do a little better.
I do 2-pedal in Sport mode which has a very 1-pedal-ish feel when you get off the accelerator.

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I heard that Teslas (maybe just early ones) did not use re-gen when pressing on the brake petal. So all the brake petal did was actuate the friction brakes. That's why they originally said 1PD was better and more efficient because it was the only mode that used re-gen.

The Lightning is basically the same either in 1 or 2PD. Since pressing the brake petal will use re-gen up to a certain point. If you're in 2PD and consistently get the brake coach to say 100% returned, it's the exact same as always being in 1PD.

All that to say it most likely doesn't make a difference in efficiency or brake wear as long as you're not always slamming on the brakes
I disagree that it won't make a difference in brake wear. Even if you are gently applying your breaks they will degrade more than literally not using them. I believe they'll last significantly longer with 1 pedal.

davkhow

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I disagree that it won't make a difference in brake wear. Even if you are gently applying your breaks they will degrade more than literally not using them. I believe they'll last significantly longer with 1 pedal.
But using the brake pedal does not apply the friction brakes until you ask for more deceleration than re-gen alone can handle. So if you don't slam on the brakes, the friction brakes will be used identically in both modes, which is only to come to a complete stop.

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
The brakes don't work that way, the truck uses regen to brake by default and only when you ask for more than regen can provide does it switch to the friction brakes.
Sponsored