• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

One Pedal vs Two Pedal Driving — which is more efficient?

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I don't think there is any difference in efficiency. In 2PD, regenerative braking is used first anyway before applying the physical brakes. I prefer 1PD as I am much smoother with it than 2PD once I got used to it. It becomes second nature to apply a bit of accelerator when kicking off cruise control. I believe it is more a preference than an efficiency decision.
Sponsored

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Braking will use regen as much as possible unless your brake effort calls for more effort than regen alone can provide, then friction is blended or replaces as needed. Also, once your speed drops below some threshold (about 1 or 2 mph), regen just doesn't work so friction is used exclusively.

The "brake score" represents the percentage of braking that could be done by regen that actually was. Having to suddenly brake harder as you are slowing down will lower the score.

Now this is speculation: I suspect the Lightning may take your initial brake application and figure out how much of the stop can be done by regen and how much by friction. If you don't change the way you brake before coming to a stop, you'll probably get a 100% score, or close to it.

I say this based on my six years of driving a Focus Electric. It seems to assume a fixed effort should have regen until you get down to the point where friction must be used. Thus, many of the gentilist of stops nets a score like 97%. Doing the same, or even many quicker stops in the Lightning still gets a 100% score, in my experience. I should add that the FFE does not have a 1PD mode. It does have a "low" position on the shifter that applies a more aggressive regen when coasting. If you come to a stop without touching the brake pedal until that last moment when friction is used anyways, you don't get a score.

Getting back to the original subject, in theory, 1PD ought to be slightly more efficient, if 'efficiency' is how much possible regen can be used in a stop. That said, without knowing for sure what criterion is used in the Lightning's algorithm for braking, and how it really translates into a score, we can't be sure which is more efficient.

I suspect the difference may not be very significant.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Does anyone know which is more "fuel efficient", one pedal drive or regular two pedal driving?
I believe that both 1PD and 2PD on our Lightnings is “blended braking” (regen + friction brakes as needed). The only difference is that when 2PD is selected, no blended braking is applied until the brake pedal is pressed, allowing a traditional coast when accelerator is released.
There should be no difference in efficiency, unless you make only short panic stops in 2PD (insufficient time for regen, more friction brake dependence).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I believe that both 1PD and 2PD on our Lightnings is “blended braking” (regen + friction brakes as needed).
In 1PD, the only way to engage the friction brakes while the truck is moving is to press the brake pedal. There is no blending when using only the “go” pedal.

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
Does anyone know which is more "fuel efficient", one pedal drive or regular two pedal driving?
I prefer 1 pedal. I am somewhat adroit at feathering the motors and coming to a soft stop at the right distance 95% of the time. We would have to have a look at Fords engineering driving tests to ascertain if it is more efficient. If nothing else it will save the brake linings.

Sponsored

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
It took me a few hours, but I am now as smooth with the 1-pedal as using two. The trickiest part for me to learn was canceling the cruise control.

That being said if it is extremely icy out I tend to use the two-pedal mode.
It's like relearning how to gauge a downshift 😂

edcoble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat (ER)
Occupation
Retired/former lawyer/former pastor
As an aside ( and because I can't see behind me while driving), do brake lights come on during 1-pedal driving if one never depresses the brake pedal but brakes entirely using 1-pedal? I worry about being rear-ended by a driver behind me not seems brake lights

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
As an aside ( and because I can't see behind me while driving), do brake lights come on during 1-pedal driving if one never depresses the brake pedal but brakes entirely using 1-pedal? I worry about being rear-ended by a driver behind me not seems brake lights
Yes

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
If you are hard launching, stop light to stop light, rolling at 70-80 mph,, and have cabin heat set to “tropics”.. well so much for 1 pedal. But then again, a 3.5 ton O’fun driven that way is still likely getting 40 mpge.

FYI, our MME has such aggressive 1-pedal that in winter snow-ice, you can slide right through a stop sign. The LT isn’t quite as bad but I don’t use 1 pedal in winter conditions.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
I prefer 1 pedal. I am somewhat adroit at feathering the motors and coming to a soft stop at the right distance 95% of the time. We would have to have a look at Fords engineering driving tests to ascertain if it is more efficient. If nothing else it will save the brake linings.
One pedal is not as aggressive in my Lightning compared to our Ioniq 5 or the MachE. 100% one pedal for me- just use the brake pedal for emergency stops like when a deer runs across the road.

Sponsored

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I always use one pedal driving, I believe it has to get better economy than two pedal driving does. Example: A computer controls anti- lock brakes and can react much faster than any human. The same is true about one pedal driving. A computer controls the required braking much better than a human can. When using two pedal driving a light touch on the brake pedal activates the regenerative braking. A firmer braking regenerative and also applies the brakes. During that time the efficiency couldn't possibly be as good as one pedal driving since there doesn't seem to be any braking used except for regenerative braking. One pedal driving is fantastic once you get used to using it. I only press on my brake pedal to change gears.

markmore

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
I tried running with both modes for 30 days each. What I found, my experience only, is that I got a 10%+ bump in miles/KW using the 1PD mode. On a feel basis, I like 1PD, it feels like driving the worlds biggest golf cart with airbags. Takes a little getting used to, but I don't think I'll be using the 2PD again. Caveat: Drive thru car washes, you need to disable brake hold and 1PD to let the system push the truck through.