• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

One Pedal vs Two Pedal Driving — which is more efficient?

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I'm all about the one pedal except for icey conditions.

I noticed that using 2 pedal and coasting on the ice was less efficient.
Sponsored

T-Bone

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro
I've noticed absolutely no difference in efficiency between 1PD and 2PD. The Lightning has blended brakes and it will regen whenever it can regardless of driving mode. You're not using the friction brakes anyway until the truck thinks the regen isn't sufficient and switches over. I generally get 100% braking score when braking while in 2PD and I hardly if ever use 1PD anymore.
I have the same experience. I do not see a difference in charge percent over long distances or city driving. At first I thought I had more control with 2PD, then realized 1PD is actually more enjoyable to drive.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Science proves that no regenerative driving 'mode' makes one ioda of difference over the long range... yes, you can use heavy regen down a long hill and feel as though you are 'gaining' range, but to go UP the other side requires now even MORE power, since your previous regen was slowing you down... either way, one-pedal versus not, or heavy regen versus not, doesn't matter in the long run... it's really ONLY ABOUT WHAT YOU, as a driver, PREFER.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Playing around with it a bunch for the first month or two after getting the truck, I couldn't see much difference in normal driving. I wish the regenerative braking was more aggressive on the Lighting, as it is on our Model Y and other EVs.

I have found certain limited situations where one or the other is truly better. When driving in the mountains, 1-pedal is definitely superior and more efficient. Yes, it's almost a unique case, but I can drive from somewhere in the mountains around Aspen/ Vail, CO to my place west of Denver and it's almost all down-hill the whole way. There are ups and downs, but from around Idaho Springs there's about 2,400feet in elevation drop and if traffic is cooperating, I can arrive home with more charge than I had when I started. It's much easier to control the truck speed this way. Turning 1-pedal off provides more coasting and it's harder to gauge how much regen you're using with the blended brakes if you're using the brake pedal. The regenerative braking just feels more natural to those of us who are used selecting a gear and letting the truck do the work vs riding the brakes (and heating them up) like some noob from a state without mountains.

Science proves that no regenerative driving 'mode' makes one ioda of difference over the long range... yes, you can use heavy regen down a long hill and feel as though you are 'gaining' range, but to go UP the other side requires now even MORE power, since your previous regen was slowing you down... either way, one-pedal versus not, or heavy regen versus not, doesn't matter in the long run... it's really ONLY ABOUT WHAT YOU, as a driver, PREFER.
And this is entirely the flip side of what I just described. When I drive up the mountain, I (and everyone else) stops in Idaho Springs to charge. It's also a fun drive getting there in an EV because they blast their way up the hill faster than all the ICE vehicles. I can blow through over 50% of my battery in like 20 minutes and hope I don't get a ticket in the process.

I say that 1-pedal is more efficient in mountain driving. And that's what I'm finding in my 8 years of EV experience. Sure the regenerative braking is a huge win because of all the down-hill spots, but even in an EV like the Lightning with the blended brakes, the 1-pedal is just a more satisfying and user-friendly setup for that driving environment.

I prefer the truck in off-road mode when not on pavement (duh!) or on slippery or snowy roads and that turns the 1-pedal off.

Efficiency aside, 1-pedal will extend the life of your brakes. Of course, the normal braking in the truck is blended and makes use of regenerative braking so the brakes are benefitting either way.

Last edited:

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
Efficiency aside, 1-pedal will extend the life of your brakes. Of course, the normal braking in the truck is blended and makes use of regenerative braking so the brakes are benefitting either way.
So I wondered about that too and I keep coming to the conclusion that it's something that would only be true if the brakes worked the way that some in the thread seem to think they work (1PD delivering more regen more often than you get in 2PD).

I've not seen any real evidence of that, and because the brakes are blended the most logical position still seems to be that the truck will always uses regen to the extent possible, and only if you ask for greater braking than the truck can deliver via regen does it switch over to the traditional friction brakes.

The other thing is that the Lightning handles the regen to friction transition so well that it's usually imperceptible, and it's very hard to know just how much of your braking was delivered via one means or the other. So to my mind it's not at all clear that there's any material difference between 1PD and 2PD when it comes to extending the life of your traditional brakes. If there is any difference, it's not likely to be significant, and it could probably go either way. Regardless, the brakes on the Lightning work very well, and I suspect that those imperceptible transitions from regen to friction are what cause discussions like this as you really can't easily tell what method you're using to brake unless you're paying very close attention.

Sponsored

John Becker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Light'g Lariat SR, '18 Audi S5 Cabriolet
That's a good observation.
With 1 PD, you theoretically might never touch the brake pedal.
With 2 PD, you theoretically might never use the friction brakes.
Therefore, either way could be the same.
I'm speaking theoretically, of course.

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
So I wondered about that too and I keep coming to the conclusion that it's something that would only be true if the brakes worked the way that some in the thread seem to think they work (1PD delivering more regen more often than you get in 2PD).

I've not seen any real evidence of that, and because the brakes are blended the most logical position still seems to be that the truck will always uses regen to the extent possible, and only if you ask for greater braking than the truck can deliver via regen does it switch over to the traditional friction brakes.

The other thing is that the Lightning handles the regen to friction transition so well that it's usually imperceptible, and it's very hard to know just how much of your braking was delivered via one means or the other. So to my mind it's not at all clear that there's any material difference between 1PD and 2PD when it comes to extending the life of your traditional brakes. If there is any difference, it's not likely to be significant, and it could probably go either way. Regardless, the brakes on the Lightning work very well, and I suspect that those imperceptible transitions from regen to friction are what cause discussions like this as you really can't easily tell what method you're using to brake unless you're paying very close attention.
The breaking transition is better on the Ford that on the Taycan. Also the rotor are always cold when used in normal condition. The regene is the same between 1p and 2p.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
but to go UP the other side requires now even MORE power, since your previous regen was slowing you down
yes, and just adding on that it is because regenerative braking is not 100% efficient, there are heat and other losses (I think DC to AC conversion?) that mean that the less you use both friction and regenerative braking, the more efficient you will be.

But also, the more people behind you (that don't have that driving mentality) may be their horn at you.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
The science is real, and the science would say there's no real difference in efficiency if you are driving both ways in a way that minimizes all braking and especially friction braking to the maximum extent.

Practically, though, I believe most people who use 1-pedal and who learn how to drive in a way as to almost always stop without having to touch the brakes likely are more efficient than those who don't. 1-pedal incentives slower, easier driving and especially stopping, which maximizes regeneration when stopping is necessary (regen does have losses, but is better than losing all energy to friction), and leaving space for slow braking also increases the chances of not having to come to a complete stop, which is always better for efficiency.

You can stop the same way with 2-pedal, but I'd bet it's less common overall.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, BMW 3 series
Occupation
Engineer
1-PD and 2-PD allegedly have the same efficiency. A lot depends on your preferences and driving habits. I tried both ways and have a strong preference for Normal 2-PD. My ability to feather the accelerator isn't good and therefore "jerky" using 1-PD. Therefore, (for me) 2-PD is the most fuel efficient.
Actually, it may not be you -- I too find that the Lightning's one-pedal driving mode is "jerky", compared, say, to one-pedal driving on a Tesla Model Y. Since my wife finds one-pedal driving "weird", we just use two-pedal driving on our Lightning, and use the Brake Coach to optimize brake regeneration.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I try to minimize use of Friction break first and minimize use of regen next for higher efficiency. That is in addition to lowering speed.

i use two pedal driving because I switch between my wife’s ICE and my truck frequently and I don’t want to mess with my habits and reflex when stuff hits the fan. I also like to get more movements on my right foot when I drive. Besides even in two pedal driving, the motors do most of the breaking before your foot hits the break pedal especially in sport mode (that is if you are not racing like a youngster).

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
The most efficient mode will be 2 pedal with the least aggressive "coasting" regen.... BUT, the difference between that mode and 1 pedal is so small that 95% percent of drivers will not be able to notice the difference. Bottom line, use the mode you like, the functional efficiency of all the modes is about the same.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Studies show that coasting to a stop will net you a farther distance after acceleration or going down a hill than regenerating power (slowing down via the motor) and then using that power to accelerate again on flat or uphill terrain. That means that your driving behavior determines the most efficient method and not the driving mode. If your behavior maximizes coasting and only uses regen to manage speed, then you'll eek out a lightly longer distance per unit of charge.

You coast in 2PD mode by taking your foot off the accelerator and brake. You engage the motor to regen and slow down via light brake pedal application. You engage the friction brakes by pressing the brake pedal harder.

In 1PD, you coast via perfect accelerator feathering. You engage the motor to regen and slow down by lifting your foot entirely off the accelerator. You engage the friction brakes by pressing the brake pedal.

Since you can get the exact same behavior (optimal and not optimal) out of both driving modes, the one that is "more efficient" is specific to you and your driving behaviors.

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
But using the brake pedal does not apply the friction brakes until you ask for more deceleration than re-gen alone can handle. So if you don't slam on the brakes, the friction brakes will be used identically in both modes, which is only to come to a complete stop.
You're right. My brain keeps going back to my Model 3 which was friction brakes or 1-pedal. I enjoy 1-pedal so I am going to stick with it.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
1-PD and 2-PD allegedly have the same efficiency. A lot depends on your preferences and driving habits. I tried both ways and have a strong preference for Normal 2-PD. My ability to feather the accelerator isn't good and therefore "jerky" using 1-PD. Therefore, (for me) 2-PD is the most fuel efficient.
I'm with John on this one. Hey, I've driven "3 pedal" since 1966 (because I've always bought manual transmissions, including my 2013 Ford Fusion.) The lightning is my first automatic transmission. So I'm not jumping from 3-pedal to 1-pedal. It just feels too wierd to me, personally.
Sponsored