• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
That's actually quite impressive. I typically get 1.4 - 1.5 but I'm usually doing 80 ish. Maybe I just need to slow down a bit for the longer runs.
75 with no traffic I get closer to 1.8, yeah it's pretty crazy how much speed has effect.
Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Awesome accomplishment for sure. I do not deny it is possible to have SR and road trip and haul, but it is a level of planning and commitment most drivers don't want to deal with. Use case and driving area highly impact the usability of these trucks. Look at Supercharger locations in AL, TN, GA, and MS. All those around Atlanta too are an utter nightmare of bolt owners and Uber drivers.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
In fairness, I have a few frustrations with EV life, but none of them are the vehicle's fault. Electrify America is the worst company in the US, and it utter failure to do its single purpose - charge EVs - may yet jeopardize the transition to electric transportation. Unfortunately, because I do so much long distance traveling, I have to use its charging stations, which often do not work or supply power at trickle-level speeds. While other charging networks - particularly ChargePoint and EVgo - do better, and I am looking forward to being able to use Tesla Superchargers, I am depressed by the rising cost of DCFC charging on the road. Still, I am willing to pay it for the infinitely better EV driving experience.

I really think Ford needs to leverage the passion many of us have for our Lightnings in its marketing. Sure, there may be 15% of pick-up truck users that regularly tow big, heavy stuff a long distance; they need to get an ICE vehicle. But for the other 85%, the Ford F-150 Lightning is simply the best truck in the world.
As an 2023 Pro owner, I agree with most of your points. The Lightning is super comfy and a great road tripper. I don’t think it’s fair to assume EA is the worst company. Without EA, most of your trips would not be possible. The network was reliable prior to the huge COVID uptick in BEV sales and ride sharing use. On a side note: Uber and Lyft need to provide charging hubs for their drivers, especially in high use areas. EA also had to accommodate a wide variety of vehicles from different manufacturers quickly.

I posted recently about Ford installing their own chargers, or at least starting it, to death ears in this forum. "Ford doesn't own gas stations" was one response, and others mostly pooh poohed the idea. Relying on dealerships that don't like EV's is not a path to success. Again, Ford is relying on a manufacturer (Tesla) to help sell their BEV's. Without a reliable charging network, middle to late adopters will stay on the sidelines. Range is not the issue, you and many have proven that, its the availability of chargers. Ford can invest in some of these charging companies (Chargepoint, EVGO, BLINK ) that have lost up to 90% of their stock value over the past year. Ford can also install some of their own chargers or form partnerships with grocery chains, convenience, etc. to install chargers. Sending free NACS adaptors is not enough! Tesla is now determining the fate of EV sales for many manufacturers. Charging availability is #1 impediment to EV adoption.

Most drivers don't want to plan their trips to the granularity of detail (stops) that EV drivers now must. That's why I recommend most new EV drivers get a Tesla.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Awesome accomplishment for sure. I do not deny it is possible to have SR and road trip and haul, but it is a level of planning and commitment most drivers don't want to deal with. Use case and driving area highly impact the usability of these trucks. Look at Supercharger locations in AL, TN, GA, and MS. All those around Atlanta too are an utter nightmare of bolt owners and Uber drivers.
DCFC needs to cost a lot more ($1/kWh?) to discourage its everyday use by people who could otherwise Level 2. A higher price could also pay for better maintenance and monitoring. DCFC needs to be the charging of last resort, to enable road tripping or an emergency quick recharge worth $100.

Reactions: JRT