• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

OTA updates and the Low Voltage Battery

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Last week I tried to take my truck in to have the modem TSB (23-3050) done. Before I took it in I asked MikeG to run my VIN and it showed 4 modules out of date. He doesn’t think I have been getting OTA updates. Anyway, the dealer had my truck all day Wednesday and again all day Friday but did not do anything because Ford put out the notice to stop doing the TSB. While I was waiting I decided to try to figure out why I don’t get OTAs.

MikeG suggested that I verify the Auto Update schedule was setup and it was. I started looking at the other criteria and the LV battery was my first step. I used Car Scanner and my LVB was only at about 60%. I drove the truck for about 30 minutes and it only got to 61%. On Saturday morning I put it on a charger and when the charger indicated 100% the truck was still reporting 64%. I restarted the charger and after about 15 minutes the charger reported 100% and the truck reported 65%. I then tried resetting the BMS and the truck jumped to 80%. I tried restarting the charger again and the truck dropped to 40%.

At that point I decided to disconnect the battery and charge it separately. It took a couple of hours and when it reached 100% I reconnected it and reset the BMS again. At that point the truck reported 100%. Since then it has consistently stayed above 80% and today I got the 4.2.1 OTA.

I suspect that all of the disconnecting and reconnecting to clear the modem is confusing the BMS. Fully charging and resetting the BMS seems to have fixed my problem. If you have an OBD tool and your LVB SOC is low it might be worth a try.

Note: to reset the BMS turn on accessory mode (press start without pressing the brake), flash the brights 5 times quickly, then press the brake 3 times. The battery icon on the lower right of the dash will blink and then turn back to solid.
Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Thanks for the tip. Mine just updated to 4.2.1 from 4.1.1 after I did BMS reset.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Mike is of great help.

‘’mine is stuck at dealer, because it(fdrs) won’t update ford mo co computers as to what they updated. Ford has no solution.

55 days and counting. And waiting 😢

JonS

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S Plaid, Tesla Model X, F150 Lightning
Last week I tried to take my truck in to have the modem TSB (23-3050) done. Before I took it in I asked MikeG to run my VIN and it showed 4 modules out of date. He doesn’t think I have been getting OTA updates. Anyway, the dealer had my truck all day Wednesday and again all day Friday but did not do anything because Ford put out the notice to stop doing the TSB. While I was waiting I decided to try to figure out why I don’t get OTAs.

MikeG suggested that I verify the Auto Update schedule was setup and it was. I started looking at the other criteria and the LV battery was my first step. I used Car Scanner and my LVB was only at about 60%. I drove the truck for about 30 minutes and it only got to 61%. On Saturday morning I put it on a charger and when the charger indicated 100% the truck was still reporting 64%. I restarted the charger and after about 15 minutes the charger reported 100% and the truck reported 65%. I then tried resetting the BMS and the truck jumped to 80%. I tried restarting the charger again and the truck dropped to 40%.

At that point I decided to disconnect the battery and charge it separately. It took a couple of hours and when it reached 100% I reconnected it and reset the BMS again. At that point the truck reported 100%. Since then it has consistently stayed above 80% and today I got the 4.2.1 OTA.

I suspect that all of the disconnecting and reconnecting to clear the modem is confusing the BMS. Fully charging and resetting the BMS seems to have fixed my problem. If you have an OBD tool and your LVB SOC is low it might be worth a try.

Note: to reset the BMS turn on accessory mode (press start without pressing the brake), flash the brights 5 times quickly, then press the brake 3 times. The battery icon on the lower right of the dash will blink and then turn back to solid.
Either it’s extreme coincidental timing or the BMS reset did the trick for me. I did the reset but didn’t drive it that day. The next day I drive the truck and got an update after parking.

Thanks for posting the tip!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The LVB must be at 80% - 85% to get OTA updates. So, if the BMS thinks it isn't, you won't get OTA updates. This coincides with people noticing they got updates after driving, because driving results in the LVB getting charged (except when the BMS is confused).

When the dealer does updates, the battery should be attached to a power supply, as specified in Ford's instructions.
Sponsored