• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stop Driving Immediately: high voltage battery and power train warning

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
Just got the notification the morning after update PU0306-BCF-DET. FordPass has a high voltage battery and power train warning.

Dealership had me towed and in a Tundra in 2 hours, hats off to them. Said it could be +3 weeks but will take a look at it next week to see exactly what's up.

Not happy but also satisfied with the response and experience so far considering the other experiences seen on the forum.

Will provide updates as they occur, until then you'll see me at the pump!
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
watching

OP
OP
Blaster

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
Thanks for updating the title, that seemed aggressive after posting

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just got the notification the morning after update PU0306-BCF-DET. FordPass has a high voltage battery and power train warning.

Dealership had me towed and in a Tundra in 2 hours, hats off to them. Said it could be +3 weeks but will take a look at it next week to see exactly what's up.

Not happy but also satisfied with the response and experience so far considering the other experiences seen on the forum.

Will provide updates as they occur, until then you'll see me at the pump!
Hey there. Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of the Ford dealership you are working with? I would like to take a closer look at these error messages on my end!

Sponsored

irpete

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I got the same errors yesterday. It was on my Ford charge station pro charging overnight and I noticed I had a charge fault warning in the morning. Those errors came up afterwards while driving. I only had 20% power available while driving.

When I got home I logged in with FDRS and printed all the errors as well as battery module information before clearing the codes. Once the codes were cleared everything was back to normal.

I’ll reach out to the battery team for guidance but it’s my only vehicle right now and I can’t let it just sit at a dealership for weeks.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
10 to 1 it's being caused by the network interruption that happens during module updates.

I get the same thing sometimes when I update either my Lightning or the Mach-E using FDRS (to include FordPass warnings as well).

But the difference is I can clear the errors using FDRS by running a self test on the modules involved.

People who get this with OTAs would probably have to shut the vehicle off and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then start back up to see if the DTC goes away.

Let us know how it all turns out though. I've kinda gotten used to this, but I'm sure it freaks out folks who haven't seen it before.

OP
OP
Blaster

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
I hope it is that simple, and maybe it is. First error at the top of the morning, same error when I tried again 2 hours later, final error 30 minutes later. I had a window during work to troubleshoot and went for it. Thanks for sharing your experience, I prefer your outcome.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I’ve been getting this after the 306 update . Lots of other random issues after 306 as well like the truck randomly displays 24 hour time sometimes and the sync stack is now rebooting randomly while driving.

Ford F-150 Lightning Stop Driving Immediately: high voltage battery and power train warning IMG_8437

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Well I prefer 24hr time myself and have both my car and truck Sync set to that..but it doesn't always display that way. Selecting the time display softswitch to 12hr and then back to 24hr always wakes it up and makes it display properly again. I'm told that Ford is aware of this issue and has a future fix (OTA). And it will likely be a future APIM update I'm guessing.

That 12V battery drain on the other hand...wow. You think your LVB is finally wearing out?

Have you tried resetting the BMS learned values dance?

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’ve been getting this after the 306 update . Lots of other random issues after 306 as well like the truck randomly displays 24 hour time sometimes and the sync stack is now rebooting randomly while driving.

IMG_8437.jpeg
Hey, Chris! I can take a closer look into your battery concerns if you'd like. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealership name/location? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
10 to 1 it's being caused by the network interruption that happens during module updates.

I get the same thing sometimes when I update either my Lightning or the Mach-E using FDRS (to include FordPass warnings as well).

But the difference is I can clear the errors using FDRS by running a self test on the modules involved.

People who get this with OTAs would probably have to shut the vehicle off and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then start back up to see if the DTC goes away.

Let us know how it all turns out though. I've kinda gotten used to this, but I'm sure it freaks out folks who haven't seen it before.

Just a few comments.

Seems there are still a few bugs in the system - shame on Ford.

What ever happened to thorough testing before releasing software to the users/public?
Especially important when one has potentially explosive Li batteries in the garage or behind the cab!!!

As we used to say back in the 1970's: To err is human, to really screw up you need a computer.
Vehicles now are essentially computers with a power train.

But we can't have something like the Boeing 737 Max crashes happen in an EV on the road or in one's garage due to bad software!
Or false alarms from our trucks.

2022 and 2023 Lightning owners/drivers are beta testing early adopters?
One might think Ford would have these things worked out after its experience with the Mach-e!

Twice as galling given the price gouging going on at some Ford dealerships.

Hope it all works out and Ford gets its act together!

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat

IMG_8437.jpeg
The "Electrical System Drain Service Required" message is a big annoyance. I've been getting this regularly and tracked it down to this: If I plug in my F150L outside of my charge setting window, I will almost always get this message after a few hours. Otherwise, I would never see it. It's like it knows it's plugged in and keeps things live burning the LVB up until it goes into this warning just waiting for the time to tick by so it can charge the HVB (and the LVB at the same time). A simple software change to the LVB charging scheme or the "wait to charge" scheme could fix this - Ford?

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
The "Electrical System Drain Service Required" message is a big annoyance. I've been getting this regularly and tracked it down to this: If I plug in my F150L outside of my charge setting window, I will almost always get this message after a few hours. Otherwise, I would never see it. It's like it knows it's plugged in and keeps things live burning the LVB up until it goes into this warning just waiting for the time to tick by so it can charge the HVB (and the LVB at the same time). A simple software change to the LVB charging scheme or the "wait to charge" scheme could fix this - Ford?
So of interest here.. I've had my truck for over a year now.
I charge at home and I plug in when I get home at 6:00pm the latest. My truck is set to charge beginning at 11:00pm so it sits plugged in for 5 hours every single night before the charging starts. and I've only gotten this error once before. . I have nothing aftermarket hooked up.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired