• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stop Driving Immediately: high voltage battery and power train warning

OP
OP
Blaster

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
Which update triggered the power train fault?

Which update is your latest?

My truck moved into the shop today, after 30 days parked outside, for a battery module replacement. I have asked the dealership to install the 23-PU0327-DSP-AMP update since I could not get it to download and install.

Thanks.
update PU0306-BCF-DET
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Getting back to the original subject of this thread, I am happy to report that 19 days after my 22 Lightning had this problem, it is fixed and back to me. Bonnell Ford (Winchester MA) did a great job, including providing an ICE F 150 loaner.

As for the details of the repair I, frankly, do not understand all the codes on the paper work. I was told that to do this job the entire battery had to be lowered. Snippets of the repair from the paper work are:

1. Recall was coded 23H01.

2. High Voltage Battery Module Replacement. Battery array module 9 in Tier 1 removed and replaced due to bad cell 93.

3. They had to “fill and bleed coolant”

4. They road tested it several times.

Bonnell charged the Lightning to 100% and cleaned it.

Ford corporate called me a few hours after I picked it up to confirm my satisfaction. They are providing me with cash to pay for all the gas that I used in the loaner. And they are giving me $100 in Ford Pass Credits. And they are paying for the loaner.

Shorevet

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, GT500, Ranger, Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Update: HVB module arrived at the Dealer’s service department today. They hope to have it installed by the weekend. Fingers crossed.
Update: HVB module replaced. Picked it up yesterday. Now I need to build my confidence back.

gymgeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Edge, 2023 F150L Pro
Occupation
IT Geek
I just had this issue tonight on my Lightning. What joy. Local dealer is small. Should I take it 1 hr away to Tulsa to a bigger dealer?

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I just had this issue tonight on my Lightning. What joy. Local dealer is small. Should I take it 1 hr away to Tulsa to a bigger dealer?
I think this repair is all about does the dealer have the equipment, does the dealer have someone trained? I'd just make a coupe of quick calls. Thinking the big dealer may have more skills, but may have a back log and how long will it take to work you in?

Sponsored

Shorevet

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, GT500, Ranger, Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Check and see if they have the tooling and technicians and have done an HVB removal and module replacement and calibration.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
I just had this issue tonight on my Lightning. What joy.
See my signature for a spreadsheet of similar instances of powertrain failures. Please let us know your Build Date and Mileage.

Ford Customer Service Program 23B57 https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/csp-23b57-for-high-voltage-battery-notice.16683/ (see page 9 of 10: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/attachments/23b57bull-pdf.72144/) predicts 4% of all Lightnings built thru June 2023 will need a battery module replaced (within 8 years?). 1 in every 25.

Kbar8888

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
I just got the high voltage battery warning and a power train malfunction warning yesterday. It came suddenly without warning and I lost almost all power (could barely move the truck). Now I guess I need to get it towed to the dealer? Very frustrating.

Ford F-150 Lightning Stop Driving Immediately: high voltage battery and power train warning IMG_2199

OP
OP
Blaster

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
I just got the high voltage battery warning and a power train malfunction warning yesterday. It came suddenly without warning and I lost almost all power (could barely move the truck). Now I guess I need to get it towed to the dealer? Very frustrating.

IMG_2199.jpeg
I know a few of the more recent OTA updates have been targeted to avoid this out of the blue, not sure if you've been getting those.

I hope it's not too wild a ride for you - call the BEV hotline at Ford corporate and they might have information your dealer doesn't but will also reimburse any gas spent while your truck is out of service.

Best of luck.

Kbar8888

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
I know a few of the more recent OTA updates have been targeted to avoid this out of the blue, not sure if you've been getting those.

I hope it's not too wild a ride for you - call the BEV hotline at Ford corporate and they might have information your dealer doesn't but will also reimburse any gas spent while your truck is out of service.

Best of luck.
Thanks. I really appreciate the advice.
I don’t know about the BEV hotline number. Do you know how I can find that? My dealer is a smaller one so I hope they have had some experience with this.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Blaster

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
Thanks. I really appreciate the advice.
I don’t know about the BEV hotline number. Do you know how I can find that? My dealer is a smaller one so I hope they have had some experience with this.

866-631-3788

Phineas Magliozzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT, optionless.
Thank you!!
I have found the BEV Hotline to be of little use. Doesn't mean you shouldn't call - you should - just temper your expectations. I've been told contradictory things from the BEV hotline regarding rental car reimbursements, gas reimbursements, and have received no original info from them regarding repairs that I didn't/couldn't get from the dealer.

Good luck on your repair, my truck has been out nearly 9 weeks and I'm exploring options.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
contradictory things from the BEV hotline regarding rental car reimbursements, gas reimbursements
The policy changed recently very abruptly. There were still people operating under the old information as they hadn't been updated. The reimbursements take awhile to process and mail out but if you don't see them after a few weeks, check back in with the agent

Kbar8888

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Thanks. My state (Oregon) has a lemon law that says I can get my money back if my vehicle has been in the shop more than 30 days cumulatively in a year. You should check your state.
Sponsored