• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
The fact that BLE does not use Public Key Encryption kind of boggles my mind. I am hoping that you can use the FordPass app to generate a Public/Private key pair to be able to have a quick encrypted session to unlock the truck....

This is probably too much to hope for given the protocols. :(
Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
The fact that BLE does not use Public Key Encryption kind of boggles my mind. I am hoping that you can use the FordPass app to generate a Public/Private key pair to be able to have a quick encrypted session to unlock the truck....

This is probably too much to hope for given the protocols. :(
The relay attack isn’t affected by how BLE does encryption. What is needed is a check to see if the phone is actually close to the vehicle (using GPS) or some form of user interaction like entering a PIN to unlock and start the vehicle. Without a check like these examples, the relay attack can’t be defeated.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
The relay attack isn’t affected by how BLE does encryption. What is needed is a check to see if the phone is actually close to the vehicle (using GPS) or some form of user interaction like entering a PIN to unlock and start the vehicle. Without a check like these examples, the relay attack can’t be defeated.
Thats a serious weakness in the protocol now that I look at it. If it is link layer and only dependent on the proximity thats not a good use case for BLE. I know that cars are regularly being stolen near where I live via key-fob cloning.

PAAK cloning won't be far behind; though it is more technically complex if the pass stays "active" but it will still work.

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
sotek2345 -
When I had my model 3, I too had to leave my phone in my car so in addition to having the key card in my wallet, I also purchased an RFID Ring Key that is a ring that i worn on your finger that one simply waves in front of the driver side pillar which allowed the car to unlock. Absolutely Handy. I ordered two...one for my spouse and myself. I still have the ring cause i'm hoping that it can be used with the Lightning....maybe.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
sotek2345 -
When I had my model 3, I too had to leave my phone in my car so in addition to having the key card in my wallet, I also purchased an RFID Ring Key that is a ring that i worn on your finger that one simply waves in front of the driver side pillar which allowed the car to unlock. Absolutely Handy. I ordered two...one for my spouse and myself. I still have the ring cause i'm hoping that it can be used with the Lightning....maybe.
That would be a great solution!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
It was simple to pair, like setting up your phone as a key but a simple ring worn on the finger. It's amazing!
Sponsored