• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
So PAAK works only thru your phone's internet connection & app ?

Why can't the phone work with your Ford as a bluetooth connection when you are not in range of any cell towers ?

I'd think that would be important for those of us who travel to areas without cell service (fishing the Missouri river in MT).
Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
So PAAK works only thru your phone's internet connection & app ?

Why can't the phone work with your Ford as a bluetooth connection when you are not in range of any cell towers ?

I'd think that would be important for those of us who travel to areas without cell service (fishing the Missouri river in MT).
That's an insane oversight if PAAK requires an internet connection. It should be some form of a literal key that the Phone OS can leverage - not be dependent on an app.

You could have the system regenerate the key on a certain basis, but if the encryption is handled correctly you should not need to do it more than once a year to just ensure nothing crazy.

Looking at this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211234
(I am not an Android User, but I am sure there is an equivalent)

It should be possible to load PAAK as a pass on the phone or watch. And have no dependency on FordPass being "active" at that moment.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
As a future XLT SR owner, PAAK might be my most missed feature. You don't realize how archaic something is, until the new better thing arrives. When I rent a car and it has a physical key I need to use, it feels like I've been handed a rotary phone or need to get up and spin a dial to change my TV channel. Hopefully they figure this out soon for those who paid for the feature.
Remember the horror of using wired ear buds.
or even only having a cassette with one artist

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Remember the horror of using wired ear buds.
or even only having a cassette with one artist
Hey - I still prefer wired earbuds for most uses vs. wireless!

We also have PAAK (in theory) with our Mach-e, but have never used it or seen a use case for us.

Now get off my lawn all you young wippersnappers!

EaganSmash

First Name
Eavan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I'm no luddite, but I haven't wanted to use my phone as a key as a primary means of getting into my car.

When approaching my car with things to load in it, I will often reach into my pocket and trigger the front or rear trunk, usually without even taking it out of my pocket. If I only have my phone, I have to get it out, unlock it, launch the app, navigate to the controls menu, and then tap the appropriate side of the car to open the right hatch. That's not convenient even at the best of times.

It's nice that my phone offers all the functionality of a physical key fob when I've left my key in the house occasionally (and I have taken advantage of that a few times) but it isn't how I want to roll day to day.
As a Tesla owner, PAAK implemented correctly means you never have to touch your phone. I just approach my car and everything unlocks, if I need the trunk open just tap the button on the trunk (and you already mentioned reaching in your pocket to hit the keyfob so in thy same scenario you'd have a free finger to hit the trunk release). The frunk is the only thing that you might need the app for but the Lightning solved that problem with a grill button.

I used to lose my keys all the time, but I'm definitely not going to forget my phone or wallet (with Tesla keycard).

• Love
Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah I will say for the most part my Tesla PaaK just works.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
As a Tesla owner, PAAK implemented correctly means you never have to touch your phone. I just approach my car and everything unlocks, if I need the trunk open just tap the button on the trunk (and you already mentioned reaching in your pocket to hit the keyfob so in thy same scenario you'd have a free finger to hit the trunk release). The frunk is the only thing that you might need the app for but the Lightning solved that problem with a grill button.

I used to lose my keys all the time, but I'm definitely not going to forget my phone or wallet (with Tesla keycard).
Does Telsa give you an easy way to lock your phone in your car? That is a huge deal for me as I need to keep my phone in my car all day at work (hence Fob is preferred).

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Where is Watch as a Key? C’mon, Ford!

WAAK!

EaganSmash

First Name
Eavan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Does Telsa give you an easy way to lock your phone in your car? That is a huge deal for me as I need to keep my phone in my car all day at work (hence Fob is preferred).
I wouldn't call it easy exactly, but you could turn off bluetooth and tap the keycard to the door to lock it. Would be annoying to do all day long in my mind.

EaganSmash

First Name
Eavan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Yeah I will say for the most part my Tesla PaaK just works.
All the app updates recently have had me fumbling to open the app in the morning sometimes since it doesn't automatically connect after that and there's no super easy way to unlock a 3rd party charger without the app or using the screen.

Other than those quirks, tesla PAAK just works and is super convenient.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
The frunk is the only thing that you might need the app for but the Lightning solved that problem with a grill button.
Exactly, I often open the frunk with the fob. It's also nice to have the trunk open when you get to the vehicle.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Tesla PAAK had some issues early on, but it has been very solid for 3 years. They've got a couple million cars on the road using it. It does not require a cellular connection. Once you get used to it it just hurts to go backward. If something does go wrong, then you pull the phone out and open the app. Then in that case the phone and car both need a cellular connection - you open the app and unlock the car from the GUI. If that fails then you pull the key card out of your wallet and use it. The key card is ideal as it will fit in a wallet just like a credit card, still no bulky fob.

For the Lightning PAAK should be primary access - never touch a phone or fob - get in press start and drive. If PAAK doesn't work, the open app and unlock, but again both need cellular for that to work. If that fails - then you can always resort to the keypad on the door to get in and then you have to use the backup start pass code on the screen of the truck (page 72/73 of the manual) which will allow you to start the truck without a PAAK or fob.

If you haven't seen that last part it could be critical, but you have to set it up in advance. It will allow you to drive with no fob and no phone.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
the backup start pass code on the screen of the truck (page 72/73 of the manual) which will allow you to start the truck without a PAAK or fob.

That's some important info!
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN