• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Recent Phone as a Key PAAK Update?

OP
OP
Henry Ford

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I was under the impression that PaaK was limited to higher trim trucks because of software not hardware.
🤷‍♂️ I know the module that talks to the phone is tucked somewhere in the center console. I wouldn't think Ford would install modules it didn't have to buw who knows. Maybe the module has other functions.
Sponsored

cc_lightning

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
For those that had the SSM 51135 done, did PAAK option showed up immediately or you need to wait for an OTA update? I just got my car back from dealer who said PAAK should be working now, but I don’t see the option to set up on Ford Pass.

The dealer had the truck for 2 days to do this and diagnose a problem with the parking sensors. The first day they could check out the car because the one tech certify to work on lightnings was busy.

Mujenpwr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning ER
It showed up immediately for me once they did the SSM 51135. I was on 4.2.1 also.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
🤷‍♂️ I know the module that talks to the phone is tucked somewhere in the center console. I wouldn't think Ford would install modules it didn't have to buw who knows. Maybe the module has other functions.
Tesla installs FSD hardware on every new Tesla and the take up rate is only 15%. That’s a lot of valuable hardware driving around not being used. Toyota is also famous for including non functional parts on lower trims to stream line production efficiency.

As a Pro and Tesla owner, I would pay Ford for PAAK if the proximity hardware is already present. How much can the necessary parts be that Ford couldn’t later recoup it later via a paid software update? I can unlock my truck with my Apple Watch and the truck even has wireless CarPlay, why the 1980s key fob technology?

OP
OP
Henry Ford

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Tesla installs FSD hardware on every new Tesla and the take up rate is only 15%. That’s a lot of valuable hardware driving around not being used. Toyota is also famous for including non functional parts on lower trims to stream line production efficiency.

As a Pro and Tesla owner, I would pay Ford for PAAK if the proximity hardware is already present. How much can the necessary parts be that Ford couldn’t later recoup it later via a paid software update? I can unlock my truck with my Apple Watch and the truck even has wireless CarPlay, why the 1980s key fob technology?
While I don't disagree with you I think Ford does the math a little differently. Right now if you want PaaK it's a $15,000 option, the price difference between Pro and Lariat. Why would they sell it for $199 when it's $15,000 now?

With all the options that are available it sure would be nice if you could build a truck with exactly what you want but that's not the way they do business.🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
While I don't disagree with you I think Ford does the math a little differently. Right now if you want PaaK it's a $15,000 option, the price difference between Pro and Lariat. Why would they sell it for $199 when it's $15,000 now?

With all the options that are available it sure would be nice if you could build a truck with exactly what you want but that's not the way they do business.🤷‍♂️
PAAK is a standard feature on most vehicles over $50K and keyless entry on vehicles over $40K. It was a strange choice not to provide either on the Pro model, considering other high end features it has (digital dash, 12" screen, wireless CarPlay, LED lights, power frunk, pro power, push button start, USB Type C, etc). The cost for the necessary hardware has to be negligible. Deleting heated steering wheels on Lariat and Platinum trims is even more inexcusable for vehicles costing that much.

Ford's math is not adding up right now, losing billions selling EV's. Ford needs to get control of its manufacturing costs and model complexity so it can scale production and achieve profitability. The supply chain constrained mantra is getting old at this point. I can't imagine there are many buyers now for $75K EV trucks currently with rising interest rates and a potential worsening economy.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Bundling options could also be a way to curb demand / manage supplies.

If they already know they'll only get so many of option X this year, do they offer it to everyone and come August when it's all gone they piss off their high margin buyers (Lariat/Platinum), or do you limit the option to certain trim levels, hoping / expecting it to last through the year.

If I was Ford I would definitely look after the high margin customers.

OP
OP
Henry Ford

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I took my truck to the dealer today with hopes they could get PaaK working. They said there were no codes and the soft was up-to-date and it's still not working. It updated to Power Up 4.2.2 so I can do voice feedback now. The first feedback I gave was PaaK isn't working.

I'm pretty disappointed. The dealership basically said they have done all they can do. When I feel like I can handle more disappointment I'll call Ford Customer Service.🥺

OP
OP
Henry Ford

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Update: PaaK finally started working!🥳

The module had been updated but I needed to delete the VIN from FordPass and reinstall it. Another member of this forum suggested that. Thank you!

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
reading these post about taking to dealer and taking a day and a half At dealer.

ROFL 😂

took me 6 weeks to get appt. They mis diagnosed 1st 2 trips.
total 5 visits. Each follow up DEALER scheduled they let it sit minimum 7 days before they looked at truck.

in the end i bought the Mongoose interface and a 2 day FDRS license and programmed it myself With help of a forum member.

now I’m up to date, have sync updated interface.

Ford OTA and dealership experience (55 days at dealer) we’re frustrating. Ford customer service BEV group, was helpful and supportive. (Though not quick to get a reply)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Henry Ford

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Android users, is there always a "Phone as a Key is trying to connect to your vehicle" notification in your status bar? Can I make this go away? How does it affect battery life?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Android users, is there always a "Phone as a Key is trying to connect to your vehicle" notification in your status bar? Can I make this go away? How does it affect battery life?
I turned the notification off. It's your phone notification settings for the app. I haven't seen any abnormal effects to my battery life but it does run constantly in the background.

Ford F-150 Lightning Recent Phone as a Key PAAK Update? Screenshot_20230422_115604_Settings

thedadlegend

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smoked Quartz Lariat ER
I ended up going the dealer route. I also bought a early build (March 2022). At first they didn’t have any idea what I was talking about. I directed them toSSM 51135 which I have seen on a few forums about the topic. Once the tech got it they updated the module and I had PAAK out of the gate.

Below is the write up on the order from the dealer if it helps.

CUSTOMER STATES PHONE-AS-A KEY FEATURE INOP - WONT RECOGNIZE TO CUSTOMERS PHONE ABLE TO VERIFY CUSTOMERS CONCERN WITH PHONE AS KEY WONT RECOGNIZE. PERFORMED RFA SELF TEST AND FOUND DC U3000:49. CHECKED FOR OPEN SERVICE ARTICLES AND FOUND SSM 51135. REPROGRAMMED RA MODULE TO LATEST SOFTWARE WHICH WAS SUCCESSFUL. TESTED AND VERIFIED PHONE AS KEY FEATURE IS OPERATING NORMALLY AT THIS TIME.
Sad, my local dealers are estimating a 7 day turnaround for “trim” work.

guess I will run without it for now.

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Geek Stuff
reading these post about taking to dealer and taking a day and a half At dealer.

ROFL 😂

took me 6 weeks to get appt. They mis diagnosed 1st 2 trips.
total 5 visits. Each follow up DEALER scheduled they let it sit minimum 7 days before they looked at truck.

in the end i bought the Mongoose interface and a 2 day FDRS license and programmed it myself With help of a forum member.

now I’m up to date, have sync updated interface.

Ford OTA and dealership experience (55 days at dealer) we’re frustrating. Ford customer service BEV group, was helpful and supportive. (Though not quick to get a reply)

Dealing with this myself on trying to get the updates. Any instructions on the process? Is there a risk to bricking it?
Sponsored