• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Plan for gravel?

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
My truck is on the way and I want to minimize the impact of the 2 miles of 3/4" minus gravel I drive on to get to the pavement.

I have the small mudflaps ready to go on, and passed on the larger ones as I dislike the look.

Would either clear coat or PPF be best to protect the lower paint, and are either worth it?

What speed is reasonable to keep from throwing gravel up enough to impact the paint?

Does the tailgate foam dust strip offered on accessories.ford.com do anything?

Does the F150 suffer a dirty ass (rear taillights, camera, etc...) like passengers cars (gen1 Volt is horrible) on gravel?

Can I assume the (stupidly) exposed cooler is safe as it is ahead of the wheels?

Anything else to consider?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I have a couple miles of gravel getting to the farm. I donā€™t plan on doing anything special. My current and past vehicles havenā€™t suffered much from gravel. I donā€™t drive over 30. I do have an issue with my current 2017 F150 - the paint is almost gone from the running board mounting brackets.

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a couple miles of gravel getting to the farm. I donā€™t plan on doing anything special. My current and past vehicles havenā€™t suffered much from gravel. I donā€™t drive over 30. I do have an issue with my current 2017 F150 - the paint is almost gone from the running board mounting brackets.
From gravel? From the front brackets back to? How high up?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From gravel? From the front brackets back to? How high up?
I honestly canā€™t say for certain it was caused by the gravel. Itā€™s the only vehicle Iā€™ve had with boards, so no point of reference. Each side has two brackets, paint is mostly gone from all four.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I honestly canā€™t say for certain it was caused by the gravel. Itā€™s the only vehicle Iā€™ve had with boards, so no point of reference. Each side has two brackets, paint is mostly gone from all four.
Oh, just the brackets, got it. What are your thoughts on the rocker panel in the above post.

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
Front cooler should not be a problem. I have multiple Ford trucks. Lots of gravel. I was concerned when I picked up my Lightning and started inspecting. ā€˜99 F350 is the oldest with that configuration and itā€™s fine. Bug migration is our worst culprit. In the middle of snout nosed butterfly season right now. Sure miss full service stations!

as for sides of truck I think the flaps will be your best option. Since Ford sealed up the mud n gravel n cow shit holding areas in the fenders in front of the doors I finally donā€™t have much to complain about. And the wipers now wait till the spray hits the windshield before starting. Only took a century on that one.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh, just the brackets, got it. What are your thoughts on the rocker panel in the above post.
No opinion, really. I donā€™t plan on doing anything special to my Lightning regarding gravel protection.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I bought the above rocker panel protection. I will be installing on my Pro when it arrives.

For me the rocker panel protection is a bonus, I want my door sills protected as I have young kids and dogs that have scratched up my current truck's sills pretty bad. This product protects both.

Plus, the black on the sides might actually look decent with the Pro's black bumpers, door handles, and mirrors.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Yeah, I would've gone with PPF. I prefer the look, but with 2 young active boys and a couple big dogs (Bernese Mountain Dog)...PPF alone wouldn't cut it for my door sills.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I went with the 6ā€ wide factory steps and Rokblokz mud flaps for gravel and other construction site driving. The factory steps were about $275 off eBay and the mud flaps were $160. I had to make significant modifications to get the rear flaps to fit since the Lightning is different from the ICE in the rear. I feel like these will give it suitable protection. If there were some good simple fender guards to protect the edges of the fender openings I might consider them, I think small debris off the tires will damage the 45 degree chamfered section above the mud flaps.

Ford F-150 Lightning Plan for gravel? E09F9D5F-DB10-4365-BA3C-4D91901793EE
Ford F-150 Lightning Plan for gravel? 8FF9D887-194C-4924-B9FB-8852A619D7BB
Ford F-150 Lightning Plan for gravel? 6E44AD0D-5FF5-4705-B66E-99EDD3FB975F
Sponsored