• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Portable chargers to charge Lightning?

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
A friend of mine asked about charging and I told him I know nothing about the electric vehicles but I know where there are many that could answer his question.
Is there a "portable" charger that you could carry in your trunk and when you need to charge, just stop somewhere(motel?)and plug it in? My thought would be it would need at least 220 volts with a high amp breaker in the breaker box. Another question would be how many volts and amps are at a charging station that are needed to get you charged up again?
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I carry a dual voltage (L1/L2) travel charger for my PHEV that I have used on the road: some hotels with 120V L1 and some with J1772 L2 chargers.

This takes planning as finding a hotel that has chargers available is a feat.

Once in Sacramento at an overnight stop, the hotel didn't have a working charger but l found a public county L2 charger for free to get a full charge in 2 hrs - just had to walk 10 minutes....

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The Lightning will come with the Ford Mobile Charger (same as the Mach-e) that can be plugged into either a 220V 14-50 outlet or a standard 110V outlet. 220V will get your roughly 20 miles of range per hour of charging while the 110V will get your 2-3 mile.

For the point on hotels - hotels.com no lets your search by EVSE, so you can quickly find out which hotels will give you juice while you sleep.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
For the point on hotels - hotels.com no lets your search by EVSE, so you can quickly find out which hotels will give you juice while you sleep.
Some hotels only have Tesla Destination Chargers. For those who travel a lot, it may be worthwhile to invest in a TeslaTap type adapter which will let you charge non-Tesla vehicle.

Reactions: TRP

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Some hotels only have Tesla Destination Chargers. For those who travel a lot, it may be worthwhile to invest in a TeslaTap type adapter which will let you charge non-Tesla vehicle.
Agreed, but I have been looking around and can find J1772 plugs everywhere I want to go so far. It helps to identify hotels first and then use plugshare to verify the chargers.

Sponsored

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
Agreed, but I have been looking around and can find J1772 plugs everywhere I want to go so far. It helps to identify hotels first and then use plugshare to verify the chargers.

On Plug share you can turn on a filter for hotel and lodging and it will show only those chargers with Hotels or lodging close by. You can also filter by dining, restrooms, groceries and several other options.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
On Plug share you can turn on a filter for hotel and lodging and it will show only those chargers with Hotels or lodging close by. You can also filter by dining, restrooms, groceries and several other options.
I have tried going that way, but found it harder. You can find the hotels that way, but you need to go into each one to see it's details. Starting with the hotel search lets me compare prices and filter down quicker.

OP
OP
Doggy-Dog

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The Lightning will come with the Ford Mobile Charger (same as the Mach-e) that can be plugged into either a 220V 14-50 outlet or a standard 110V outlet. 220V will get your roughly 20 miles of range per hour of charging while the 110V will get your 2-3 mile.

Interesting info. I will pass that on to my friend.

Rgwinn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Luckily we have a Platinum PowerBoost so we can charge the Lightning if we need to. :LOL:

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
All I keep in my EV is a Tesla destination to J1722. Use plugshare and other programs to see what is on your path.

About the only place that has a 50 amp outlet is RV parks. Hotels may only have 120VAC but plenty have one or two types of evse's for customer use. I say customer because they may not let you use it for free. The ones I've seen have no network connection so it can be used by anyone actually.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
nothing short of a true DC FAST CHARGER is going to charge your vehicle fast, whether the new LIGHTNING, or ANY electric vehicle, such as my 'older' 2015 Nissan LEAF. Both of these can use this great option when traveling, and they are very quick.
now, if someone wants to charge 'slower', then yes, a 240v Level 2 J1772 charger is going to be found in many places, now at many hotels, restuarants, city halls, chamber of commerce, and even everyday businesses that want that option for their employees and customers. These are NOT fast, though, you will be there a long, long while, especially if you are contemplating a 'full charge'. But, they are good emergency go-to options, or are sufficient if you are staying overnight at that hotel that provides it.
Looking for somewhere to 'plug in', though, is MUCH different - meaning that YOU are bringing your own 120v/240v charge cable. No, I would highly doubt you'd EVER find any 240v outlet at most any business or even any home. Yes, 120v outlets might be much easier to 'find', but then there is the question of whether they work, whether anything else is already under power on that same circuit, and whether the location will even ALLOW you to plug in. That option is the hardest of all, but yet, yes, that is actually WHY you carry an emergency charge cable everywhere you go - JUST IN CASE.

DC Fast Chargers, and even more slower Level 2 chargers, are becoming MORE and MORE prevalent and popping up in MORE and MORE places every day. We just had a row of 10 Tesla chargers show up in an older strip mall parking lot, and a very NICE new 8 station ElectrifyAmerica location show up in a local Walmart store parking lot - with a CHAdeMO option, for my Leaf, 5 150kwh CCS1's, and 4 350kwh CCS1's - fantastic!
We can also go from south/west Central Georgia all the way to the fartherest northern point of Georgia, and even farther, with the DC Fast Charger options that GeorgiaPower/Chargepoint have created on our travel paths. This does not include going thru Atlanta, although the ATL has plenty of their own, but it is going up mainly US27 and US76 to Hiawassee GA and Hayesville NC. Our Leaf only gets about 70 miles, so these DC Fast Chargers are spaced where we can still make it happen, with a few stops along the way.
Having a truck with 230-300 miles range means going ALL THE WAY without 'having' to stop.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
As you add the weight of fuel and generator you eat into the range. Figure a 10kW generator, 250#'s plus 10 gallons of fuel (70#) would give you about 75kWh into the truck.

So taking the 300#'s hit on the range would be minimal, it should work.