• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Safe third party 120v portable chargers

mr fiso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Any advice on non-Ford portable 120v chargers? (no, I don't have a free 240 volt socket)

I just bought a 2023 Platinum, which (if I understand it correctly) no longer comes with the portable charger, but only the Charge Station Pro.

While I wait on Sunrun to send me one and my electrician to have a space open on his schedule to install it, I need a solution to add a little juice over night. (local area is 'poor' in terms of public charging station quantity)

I could not seem to find anything on the Ford 'store', so I am looking for the best third-party option while I wait.
Sponsored

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
@tommolog Reviews Chargers and is a fellow Lightning Owner - I highly recommend his website:

https://evchargingstations.com/

That being said - I never used a non-Ford charger - I fast charged for the first few weeks before my FCSP was installed. BUT if I were in the market for one @tommolog is the subject matter expert I would trust!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The Ford Mobile Charger used to be included. Now it's a $500 option.

It's a shame that you can't find a local DC fast charger, because this is likely wasted money.

This gets good marks from Tom - J+ Booster and it does 110v and 220v, so you can use it as a travel charger.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
The J+ Booster is a good universal choice that won't be a waste of money. It will be the one you keep in the truck for roadtrips and such once you get your CSP installed.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Only 120V? I use this one at my daughter's condo. I use it on a 240V plug, but I've had it plugged in for days at a time with no faults.

VEVOR Level 1+2 EV Charger, 16 Amp 110-240V, Portable Electric Vehicle Charger with 25 ft Charging Cable NEMA 6-20 Plug NEMA 5-15 Adapter, Plug-in Home EV Charging Station for SAE J1772 Electric Cars https://a.co/d/bwuAv3V

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I got the j+ booster 2 as that is what @tommolog recommended. It's super solid and they have tons of options on plugs that you can get for it as well. In fact, I'm using it at the moment as the charger that I had professionally installed is no longer working. Seems to cut out every time it drops below freezing and states that the truck has suspended the charging even though it hasn't and my mobile charger works fine...

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
That price on the J+ Booster is a steal right now. I might have to grab one and I don’t even really need it.

Sponsored

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
That price on the J+ Booster is a steal right now. I might have to grab one and I don’t even really need it.
It would be a better deal if they didn't rape you for the other connectors. $100+ for a plug is ridiculous.

OP
OP
mr fiso

mr fiso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Thanks all. I am going to pull the trigger on the J+ Booster on Amazon. Of most suggestions, it is the least 'just like every other design' / 'we make it for the other guy' adapter where you never really know which one was the most suspect. ** Hey, if it is working for you, that's great! **

PS: I don't intend to run over it.
Sponsored