• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bewildering array of portable chargers / EVSEs from names no one has ever heard of

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I wanted to get a portable EVSE I can toss in the frunk, for charging at either a 50, 30 or 20-amp circuit when I am travelling.

Obviously I have the Ford Mobile Charger but that will only work if I can find a 50 am outlet - I wanted one I can dial back to 24 amps draw if I can find a 30 amp outlet..

There is a crazy array of names I have never heard of selling such EVSEs on Amazon - WonWon, GODIAG, Vevor, bokman.... Good Lord!

Am I just being subtly racist by not admitting that the Chinese are years ahead of us here? Or is it reasonable to expect a well-known company to come out with a product so at least it has some kind of imprimateur of quality behind it?

(Dewalt makes one but it's only 20 amp...)

Does anyone have any of the "funny name" ones that they have used & feel is good quality? I am looking for portable, switchable between 50 and 30 amp circuits...

Thanks!
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Even the Ford charger is a rebrand of some name you've never heard of. If you want the best price for the most versatility, get an 80 amp tesla tap, and a tesla mobile EVSE, and then whatever plugs you want to dial down the amperage.

All in all you'll spend about the same $500 you'd spend on the Ford charger, then you'll have the teslatap to take advantage of destination chargers that can supply up to 80 amps.

Editing to add: the Ford Mobile charger is a rebranded Webasto Go:
https://store.evsolutions.com/webasto-go---dual-voltage-portable-cordset-p124.aspx

Last edited:

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
I wanted to get a portable EVSE I can toss in the frunk, for charging at either a 50, 30 or 20-amp circuit when I am travelling.

Obviously I have the Ford Mobile Charger but that will only work if I can find a 50 am outlet - I wanted one I can dial back to 24 amps draw if I can find a 30 amp outlet..

There is a crazy array of names I have never heard of selling such EVSEs on Amazon - WonWon, GODIAG, Vevor, bokman.... Good Lord!

Am I just being subtly racist by not admitting that the Chinese are years ahead of us here? Or is it reasonable to expect a well-known company to come out with a product so at least it has some kind of imprimateur of quality behind it?

(Dewalt makes one but it's only 20 amp...)

Does anyone have any of the "funny name" ones that they have used & feel is good quality? I am looking for portable, switchable between 50 and 30 amp circuits...

Thanks!
I’ve had this one for almost a year and it’s been working as expected. Don’t think I’d trust it in heavy rain for days at a time. I try to over the main part of it if it’s raining.

iFlow P9 EV Charger Level 2, 10 to 40 Amp, 110-240V Universal EVSE, Versatile for Portable & Wall Charger (NEMA 14-50, 25 Feet Cable) https://a.co/d/45C1PA4

I wouldn’t say these are years ahead of US product as much as I’d say they don’t go through NRTL certification (ie UL rating).

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Amazon is a hub for no name companies, many from China, to sell nearly identical items for different prices, creating a false market. Is it one Chinese company using 47 different brands?

Go see how many things you bought 6 months ago no longer are sold by the same company.

I bought a nice 2 phone holder that fits in the cup holder. 6 months later the product and seller don't exist any longer.

Sponsored

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
On a search for a lower amperage evse to throw in the frunk for my trip to Maine I wound up finding the Splitvolt, and opted for the 24a version. Not too much info about them from my quick research but the price was nice.

Otherwise I found the same issue and opted to not buy one of these fly by night Amazon sellers. If the Ford mobile charger was an adjustable amperage I would've just gone with a used one of those.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I've been using this one weekly at various amperages from 120v (can't remember the amperage at 120v but it works albeit slowly) to 240v at amperages from 6, 8, 12, 24, 32, and 40 amps. I use 24 amp on a 30 amp circuit, 32 amp on a 40 amp circuit, and 40 amp on a 50 amp circuit regularly and it hasn't let me down (other than when the outlet was suspect).

I like the longer 32ft cord on this one for the harder-to-reach places. It fits perfectly under the Frunk floor along with various adapters including 06-50 (welder plug), and a couple of Marine/RV adapters.

https://ev-chargers.com/adjustable-...=6-8-12-24-32-40-amp&attribute_pa_length=32ft

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I've been using this one weekly at various amperages from 120v (can't remember the amperage at 120v but it works albeit slowly) to 240v at amperages from 6, 8, 12, 24, 32, and 40 amps. I use 24 amp on a 30 amp circuit, 32 amp on a 40 amp circuit, and 40 amp on a 50 amp circuit regularly and it hasn't let me down (other than when the outlet was suspect).

I like the longer 32ft cord on this one for the harder-to-reach places. It fits perfectly under the Frunk floor along with various adapters including 06-50 (welder plug), and a couple of Marine/RV adapters.

https://ev-chargers.com/adjustable-...=6-8-12-24-32-40-amp&attribute_pa_length=32ft
There’s no way that’s a listed product for the US. The UL standard limits the cord length to 8 meters (25’) unless the unit includes a cord management system.

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
I have a J+ booster 2. It is UL listed and Swiss made. It is built like a tank and has interchangeable adapters. If you want to save some money the company sells demo units with a full warranty on eBay. I bought a demo unit and it works great and included everything a new one does at a significant cost savings. I keep it in the frunk for emergencies
Ford F-150 Lightning Bewildering array of portable chargers / EVSEs from names no one has ever heard of jSeaWjwjTuSDhQYMO+u8xQ
Ford F-150 Lightning Bewildering array of portable chargers / EVSEs from names no one has ever heard of 0Pf2L3ilSWyqHQ5oCD36h

Last edited:

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
I picked up the Grizzl-e mini, comes with all the adapters you'll need and fits right under the rear seat perfectly in its case.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There’s no way that’s a listed product for the US. The UL standard limits the cord length to 8 meters (25’) unless the unit includes a cord management system.
I don't pretend to know the UL standards, however, this unit is sold and shipped in the US and was recommended by my dealer so I would hope it has the appropriate certifications. When Ford was having a supply shortage in early 2023, this was my dealer's go-to for filling the gap.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot of products are sold which aren't UL rated.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I've put in the query to AEFA - we'll see what they come back with.

In the meantime, Fastnf's J+ Booster 2 looks awesome.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
as for your original question: why does it matter the 'name'? EVSEs are only devices that provide power between your outlet and your vehicle, but they do not provide charging: that is the vehicle's job, with it's own integrated or built-in Charger equipment. The EVSE is simply a communications switch.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER