• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Well looks like I may be truck number two. Until we start getting more feedback I'm going to start a thread of my own. Will see if it ends up being the same as @mstuewe https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...owertrain-malfunction-fault.11484/post-238874

Drove home from work and stopped for dinner. Got in the truck to drive home and had an error on the Dash and it sent a message to the App. The dash message was simply "Service Vehicle Soon" with a wrench. Got a message on the app that says "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power". Pics attached. The truck seemed to drive just fine.

When I got home I plugged in and adjusted my schedule from the app so it would start charging right away. It didn't seem to be charging, so I unplugged/replugged and removed my schedule from the app, It has started charging for now. Will schedule service and touch bases with the dealer.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power IMG_1859
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power IMG_1860.PNG
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power IMG_1864
Sponsored

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I realize we are driving brand new technology. Bound to be a few things along the way.

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
Well looks like I may be truck number two. Until we start getting more feedback I'm going to start a thread of my own. Will see if it ends up being the same as @mstuewe https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...owertrain-malfunction-fault.11484/post-238874

Drove home from work and stopped for dinner. Got in the truck to drive home and had an error on the Dash and it sent a message to the App. The dash message was simply "Service Vehicle Soon" with a wrench. Got a message on the app that says "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power". Pics attached. The truck seemed to drive just fine.

When I got home I plugged in and adjusted my schedule from the app so it would start charging right away. It didn't seem to be charging, so I unplugged/replugged and removed my schedule from the app, It has started charging for now. Will schedule service and touch bases with the dealer.

IMG_1859.jpg
IMG_1860.PNG
IMG_1864.jpg
Damn... I hate to hear that. Hopefully nothing serious.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I see the temp of the battery was a little high. How hot was the place where you parked it. ie asphalt
Temps hit 104 yesterday in Dallas. It sat in the sun on asphalt most of the afternoon, I drove it for 15 miles, about 30 minutes, parked it on asphalt in a parking lot again for about 40 minutes and then got in to drive home one mile. That last drive is when the error popped up. That picture was taken just as I started the truck after the 40 minute sit.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Temps hit 104 yesterday in Dallas. It sat in the sun on asphalt most of the afternoon, I drove it for 15 miles, about 30 minutes, parked it on asphalt in a parking lot again for about 40 minutes and then got in to drive home one mile. That last drive is when the error popped up. That picture was taken just as I started the truck after the 40 minute sit.

How long is your drive home? Was the drive at highway speeds(battery cooling)? When you got into the truck to go home..had you preconditioned it in any way?

I'm just thinking the battery got too hot and went into reduced power to protect itself. It should however have cooled down as you drove home.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Wow, with an ER + tow package options you have extra cooling on the battery correct ?

Wonder if it has to do with something other than the cooled systems - like the motors heating up ?

I am in 100+ degree temps here in So Cal and park in the sun a lot during the day so I am being prepared..

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
an ER + tow package options you have extra cooling on the battery correct ?
I've never heard 100% confirmation that the secondary battery cooling of Max Tow functions in anything other than Tow Mode. It makes sense that it would; it's an unanswered question from all the attempts I've made to get an answer. There's another Ford Livestream soon to get a non-answer. :whistle:

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I've never heard 100% confirmation that the secondary battery cooling of Max Tow functions in anything other than Tow Mode. It makes sense that it would; it's an unanswered question from all the attempts I've made to get an answer. There's another Ford Livestream soon to get a non-answer. :whistle:
It is a confirmed second AC of some sort. I don't know the size, etc, but from the FDRS tools comparison of a truck with it and without, the one with it shows a second AC.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
How long is your drive home? Was the drive at highway speeds(battery cooling)? When you got into the truck to go home..had you preconditioned it in any way?

I'm just thinking the battery got too hot and went into reduced power to protect itself. It should however have cooled down as you drove home.
It was about a 15 mile drive, took about 30 minutes with some stop lights and moderate rush hour traffic. I had "started" the truck about 2 minutes before I got in it to drive.

The truck had been sitting about 6 hours in the parking lot since I had arrived to work.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It is a confirmed second AC of some sort. I don't know the size, etc, but from the FDRS tools comparison of a truck with it and without, the one with it shows a second AC.
Right, the second compressor was confirmed. I'm going to try watching a DCFC session on a hot day turning cabin climate on and off and trying to interpolate charging losses. The more trucks that get out in the wild, I'm sure there will be better answers.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Wow, with an ER + tow package options you have extra cooling on the battery correct ?

Wonder if it has to do with something other than the cooled systems - like the motors heating up ?

I am in 100+ degree temps here in So Cal and park in the sun a lot during the day so I am being prepared..
If the truck wasn't started(pre conditioned) or being driven even a seconf cooling system wouldn't be working. Again just a guess here...a check with the dealer/Lightning engineering probably a good idea. (Esp since it didn't cool downonce OP started driving)

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
If the truck wasn't started(pre conditioned) or being driven even a seconf cooling system wouldn't be working. Again just a guess here...a check with the dealer/Lightning engineering probably a good idea. (Esp since it didn't cool downonce OP started driving)
Agree that not starting/pre conditioning the truck didn't let the truck know I was ready to drive, but any EV with the right monitoring will monitor the motor and battery and start the cooling any time it is needed based on the environment.

I will note on the hot days with it over 100 degrees in the garage and you come in and park the Tesla - the cooling systems will run some additional time, I've seen it for a couple of hours. The truck, even last night when parking it in the garage, did not continue to run in any manner. Maybe we are just learning. I trust Ford is getting good critical feedback from the trucks and perhaps from incidents like mine and will be able to implement cooling when needed even if parked. Others have done it and are just protecting the car. We also don't know that heat was a related factor yet in my error message.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Is that Ford's design to not cool unless being driven?

My wife's PHEV when parked & charging in 100+ degree temps in the garage will have a very loud fan running under the vehicle as if trying to keep the battery and components cooler.

Don't know where the power is coming from to spin those fans, but they are loud.

I would think that Ford does something similar ?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.