• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PRO 167 Mile Range on Highway (Road Trip Review)

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I agree with the overall assessment that the range isn't a huge deal if you aren't road tripping regularly.
After doing my first real long distance trip w/ my Ioniq 5 the other week (450 miles); i've gotten a little less harsher on the slow charge speed / range of the standard range.

Before, I was thinking I'd never really want to drive much more than 200 miles with the standard range, but I think a 450 mile trip would likely be fine -- based on your situation.

W/ my Ioniq 5 , If I really pushed it, I could make it 450 miles on only 1 stop (~20 minutes). But, I planned for two stops. What happened? I stopped 4 times because my kid has to pee. Each stop probably took at ~30 minutes (princess is a picky pee'er).

The standard range F150 can do that same trip w/ 3 charging stops; if you're pushing it and in ideal temperature (not happening on a windy and/or cold day).

Based on the charge timing from Town & Country videos, the peak charge speed is faster than fords claims; they did 5%-80% in 40 minutes (vs 15-80% in 44). That's an average rate of ~120kW, vs. Ford's claimed average is just 96kW. If you can get those top speeds, it would make a difference.

If Ford can pump that charge speed even faster, it would lessen the range hinderance.

The charging rate, assuming you get 2.2 miles per kwh going 70mph (which seems possible), then the time to charge for 150 (~2 hour drive segments) miles is the following:

@100kW charge average: 46 minutes
@110kW charge average: 41 minutes
@120kW charge average: 38 minutes
@130kW charge average: 35 minutes
@140kW charge average: 32 minutes

I saw Standard range peak @ 144kW, it's never going to sustain that, but maybe Ford can work some E-tron magic in a software update
Sponsored

Last edited:

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Fact is EV's in general are not ideal for road tripping. You could take the paradigm shift you suggest even further by scheduling/planning on using the breaks constructively - like exercising, or working on your golf game, or doing work, or surfing the web (my likely solution :)). At the end of the day, even the time wasted driving a SR compared to an ICE is not a huge consideration over the duration of most trips.

I guess what I am saying is that I have convinced myself that for my needs a SR is all I need if I just tweak my mindset a little.....and that the lack of a lumbar adjustment in the PRO is the #1 biggest strike against it (and that is fixable).
The biggest issue I have with the SR is towing. I have a camper and from my calculations, you will probably be getting about 70 miles between charges when towing with that size of a trailer. I have yet to see a YouTuber test with a standard size big boxy camper trailer. The aerodynamic penalty from something that tall is going to be pretty bad. Currently, there aren't even chargers that often in Texas. I live in the Dallas area and there are plenty of camping areas within 50 miles. However, if I wanted to go to Austin, San Antonio, or Houston, most likely I couldn't make it today. Sure there are currently plans for 'ev corridors' in Texas with chargers every 50 miles, but most likely that will be several years till completion and will probably only cover the major interstate routes.
I want a lightning, bad, but the price jump to get into the ER currently is a deal breaker for me personally.

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
@astricklin - I hear you! I have done extensive research and design for a truck camper using the very lightweight Scout Yoho. I am budgeting for a 30% hit to mileage with the high profile of that. The electrified camping (glamping really) experience will be awesome! But the range/mileage might be an issue that makes it untenable at least until there are enough high power chargers on the way to good camping areas (at it is many hundreds of miles for me who currently lives in the recreational wasteland of Chicago).

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
I think its way too early to draw conclusions on range yet.
Driving 55 or slower will extend the range quite a bit. Not the same vehicle but my Ioniq 5 gets 4 miles per kWh when driven in the 40-50 mph range. EPA for that car is 256, we routinely get 300+ miles on a charge. That drops significantly at higher speeds. I expect the Lightning SR will easily go 230+ if driven at similar speeds.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
After doing my first real long distance trip w/ my Ioniq 5 the other week (450 miles); i've gotten a little less harsher on the slow charge speed / range of the standard range.

Before, I was thinking I'd never really want to drive much more than 200 miles with the standard range, but I think a 450 mile trip would likely be fine -- based on your situation.

W/ my Ioniq 5 , If I really pushed it, I could make it 450 miles on only 1 stop (~20 minutes). But, I planned for two stops. What happened? I stopped 4 times because my kid has to pee. Each stop probably took at ~30 minutes (princess is a picky pee'er).

The standard range F150 can do that same trip w/ 3 charging stops; if you're pushing it and in ideal temperature (not happening on a windy and/or cold day).

Based on the charge timing from Town & Country videos, the peak charge speed is faster than fords claims; they did 5%-80% in 40 minutes (vs 15-80% in 44). That's an average rate of ~120kW, vs. Ford's claimed average is just 96kW. If you can get those top speeds, it would make a difference.

If Ford can pump that charge speed even faster, it would lessen the range hinderance.

The charging rate, assuming you get 2.2 miles per kwh going 70mph (which seems possible), then the time to charge for 150 (~2 hour drive segments) miles is the following:

@100kW charge average: 46 minutes
@110kW charge average: 41 minutes
@120kW charge average: 38 minutes
@130kW charge average: 35 minutes
@140kW charge average: 32 minutes

I saw Standard range peak @ 144kW, it's never going to sustain that, but maybe Ford can work some E-tron magic in a software update
When my Lightning XLT SR arrives I'll be comparing it to my Ioniq 5 AWD. One reason I got the Ioniq 5 was the fast DC charging. So 5,000 miles later I have never charged it anywhere but at home! Our longest trip so far was 180 miles and with a charging station at either end of the trip it's just much more convenient to charge at home. The free EA charging sounds nice but not many chargers near me.

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
178 miles for close to 75mph makes sense but not 67mph.

With 67mph, I would expect very close to rated range.
Driving 67 into an 8MPH headwind will result in the same range as driving 75 with no wind.
Sponsored