• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PRO 167 Mile Range on Highway (Road Trip Review)

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
Just saw this pop up

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Basically left out any good details.

What could have been a great video; Ended up looking like a TikTok advert for an f150.

But there was one shot of the trip details.

167 miles (with 7% left).. 178 total.
1.8 miles/kwh
2.5 hours of driving.
So average speed 67mph.

Not great, unless a strong headwind; looked like good weather and a good speed for a test. Looked flat.

That's around 30 miles less than what the early reviews suggested the efficiency could be on freeway, around 2.2. 20 miles less than EPA.

Gonna feel bad for those people who were hanging on for dear life that ford was sandbagging range.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

What could have been a great video; Ended up looking like a TikTok advert for an f150.

1.8 miles/kwh
2.5 hours of driving.
So average speed 67mph.

Not great, looked like good weather and a good speed for a test. Looked flat.

That's around 30 miles less than what the early reviews suggested the efficiency could be on freeway, around 2.2.

Gonna feel bad for those people who were hanging on for dear life that ford was sandbagging range.
I didn’t watch the video - I rarely watch them for the very reason you state in paragraph 2.

Did he mention the prevailing wind speed? That’s very relevant.

Ford didn’t “sandbag” on range. They are required to use EPA test method numbers. Highway-only will always be worse.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yes, it WAS ad advertisement... but, also, you'll notice he didn't start with a full battery, either.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

1.8 miles/kwh
2.5 hours of driving.
So average speed 67mph.

Not great, unless a strong headwind; looked like good weather and a good speed for a test. Looked flat.

That's around 30 miles less than what the early reviews suggested the efficiency could be on freeway, around 2.2. 20 miles less than EPA.

If the trip *average* speed was 67 it's likely his cruising speed was much higher, probably 75ish. You're going to see 1.8mi/kwh(or less) at 75, no doubt about that. I just went down to a concert in the Bolt and was at ~65 on the way down due volume on the expressway, on the way back I was at 75-80 most of the way. My efficiency was 4.4 mi/kWh on the way down and 2.9 on the way back. The reality is people most likely need to adjust their driving habits in these vehicles to get EPA range. We're going to be inundated by people complaining about range because they haven't been informed about this.

The other option is understanding and using the DCFC network to improve trip times. Ain't nothing wrong with going 80 and making a 15 minute charging stop instead of driving 65 and getting there on one charge. For a 200 mile trip (in an SR truck), driving faster and making a charge stop will get you there sooner.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If the trip *average* speed was 67 it's likely his cruising speed was much higher, probably 75ish. You're going to see 1.8mi/kwh(or less) at 75, no doubt about that. I just went down to a concert in the Bolt and was at ~65 on the way down due volume on the expressway, on the way back I was at 75-80 most of the way. My efficiency was 4.4 mi/kWh on the way down and 2.9 on the way back. The reality is people most likely need to adjust their driving habits in these vehicles to get EPA range. We're going to be inundated by people complaining about range because they haven't been informed about this.

The other option is understanding and using the DCFC network to improve trip times. Ain't nothing wrong with going 80 and making a 15 minute charging stop instead of driving 65 and getting there on one charge. For a 200 mile trip (in an SR truck), driving faster and making a charge stop will get you there sooner.
Just wait until cold winter weather hits!

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
This is the time of year I love in my EV's - winds are generally calm, and driving 65 mph on state highways still gives me better than EPA test cycle ratings. Doesn't make up for winter penalties but it's nice to see that 275 Wh/mi number. For the Lightning, I expect about 90-100ish miles range ER with a trailer in 30 degree weather with winter winds out of the west).

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Yeah, it was obvious that they weren't really sandbagging range once we knew how big the batteries were.

There's no way that a 98kWh battery was going to magically get substantially more than 230 miles when in a 6000 lb, brick-shaped truck. The EPA efficiency is already surprisingly high (~2.3 mi/kWh).

Sponsored

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
Need some Ford GT tech to get it to lower at higher speeds.

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
...The reality is people most likely need to adjust their driving habits in these vehicles to get EPA range. We're going to be inundated by people complaining about range because they haven't been informed about this.
This may be a repeat of what happened with most early gen EVs (ie early Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, Fiat 500e, etc) -- if history repeats itself, this will result in short term glut of second hand SR F150 Lightnings in 2-3 years...then again may be not as the effects of the chip shortages and used car pricing surge seem likely to continue into this time period....

Last edited:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Closer to 200 is the expected highway range on the SR battery.

178'ish is very realistic depending upon speed and wind.

He talks openly about going 72-75mph on the highway.

Ford F-150 Lightning EPA Range And Efficiency Officially Listed (insideevs.com)
To add to this..

EPA at pure highway is roughly 201 miles of range. That is across all SR batteries and options.

There are SR batteries using all season tires vs the Pros AT tires which will have a range hit. While not 1:1, Rivian has published a 10-15% range hit on their 20” AT vs 21” AS as an example.

So 167 with 7% left is roughly 180mi at 100%. That happens to be 10% less than the EPA highway range rating.

Coincidence? Or will there be a market for Lariat wheels and AS tires?

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
The way I see it, I take a break roughly every 2 hours anyway on a road trip. Granted, not a 45 minute break with my ICE, but enough to get coffee, restroom, etc. If I can get 160-180 miles on my Pro going 70-75mph for the RARE road trip I will use it for, that's fine.

The weekly trip to the gas station on the way to work eats up 9 hours a year of my time. That's 11 DC fast charging stops per year on road trips, which ends up being 1900+ miles of road-trip driving. And that's just to break even on my current gas fueling time.

I keep trying to see the forest through the trees. I get range anxiety on my ICE F-150 too, it's just a different anxiety. With it, it's being late to work and forgetting you have to stop for gas. Or, just last weekend, wanting to go on a hike with the family but having to stop on our way to fill the tank. Those go away with the EV.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
There are SR batteries using all season tires vs the Pros AT tires which will have a range hit. While not 1:1, Rivian has published a 10-15% range hit on their 20” AT vs 21” AS as an example.
I would assume (with 99% certainly) that the EPA tests were run using the AT tires as that is the default tire. The All Season for XLT/Pro at options.

As a Consumer, you cannot order the Pro w/ another other than AT.

For XLT, you need 312A.

However, I doubt there's much difference between the AS and AT tires. The AT on the F150 are AT-light -- it's not an aggressive thread pattern and was designed for efficiency vs. off-roading.
Sponsored