• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Production Delay Extended...

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
To be fair to Ford. Traveling service technician is one of the hardest positions to staff in America right now. I am sure they are horribly understaffed in that regard.
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
..... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I would be absolutely shocked if you get any special reaction or communication regarding ā€œon holdā€ trucks. Ford is truly incompetent regarding transparent customer communication.

As I stated above your best bet, is they simply lift the hold and thereā€™s nothing they need to physically do. If they do need to physically touch in transit vehicles, it will be a long long process and many soon to be assembled trucks will likely be delivered prior to the currently ā€œon holdā€ vehicles.
Agree - no special treatment for delays like this since the customer does not technically own the vehicle yet - as the dealer who got invoiced owns it.

Look at my MME order from April 2022, it's still sitting in Mexico fully built since December of 2022.

Neither Ford nor my dealer can get any answers on my built MME and why it won't leave Mexico.

It left the Cuautitlan factory and sitting in Lecheria Mexico so technically it's in the "shipped" status but in reality, it moved a mere 5 miles and my delivery dates since December have slipped 6 times. Now it's predicting March delivery which I am doubtful since it hasn't left Mexico....
Ford F-150 Lightning Production Delay Extended... Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 7.02.25 AM

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Just as an FYI, other manufacturers do address and communicate with the end customers behind the orders for this kind of thing, even for vehicles costing substantially less than the F150 Lightning.

Ford is the outlier here and very much behind the rest of the industry.

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Communications is one of the big things Ford will have to solve in their push towards a "build-to-order" strategy. This makes much more sense from a financial perspective and used to be this way for many years. It also reduces the risk for dealers and manufacturers. It will also be a major shift for customers, but the supply chain issues have laid a good foundation already.

Two items are key for success: A manageable delivery time (no more than 2-3 month) and good communications. I don't care about delays but I want to know what is going on.

Sponsored

Jreed

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning ER Lariat Avalanche
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Normally Iā€™m an optimist but Iā€™m also a realist and this battery issue is a real big problem. There is a line in a movie that said ā€œPlan for the worst but hope for the bestā€. Best case Ford delivers by 3/31, (which seems to be the default date for all of us with trucks in transit) worst case there is a serious problem with the battery which necessitates a replacement. Iā€™m no automotive production expert but to recall all these trucks and replace batteries will take months. So my 2011 F-150 is now off the market and the trips I planned to take with my new Lightning will be taken with my wifeā€™s car. But like I said Iā€™m an optimist so Iā€™ll have my truck at the end of March.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Communications is one of the big things Ford will have to solve in their push towards a "build-to-order" strategy. This makes much more sense from a financial perspective and used to be this way for many years. It also reduces the risk for dealers and manufacturers. It will also be a major shift for customers, but the supply chain issues have laid a good foundation already.

Two items are key for success: A manageable delivery time (no more than 2-3 month) and good communications. I don't care about delays but I want to know what is going on.
Agree!

When I placed a special order for my BMW over 6 years ago, the production line would send emails & photos of the progress up until it got built - and from Germany even!

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agree!

When I placed a special order for my BMW over 6 years ago, the production line would send emails & photos of the progress up until it got built - and from Germany even!
Yep. This is the standard of customer care and level of play in the industry.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Iā€™m really trying to be optimistic about the Lightning but I have a sinking feeling that there might be a recall at some point over these batteries. Seems statistically unlikely that the truck that caught fire or the one that was flagged during inspection was the very first vehicle to be produced incorrectly. When Chevy had to recall every Bolt battery due to fire risk, 99.9%+ of them never caught fire throughout the few years they were being used by customers.

I canā€™t tell if Ford is using the ā€œnot aware of any issues in the fieldā€ as a method of buying time for them to figure out a program to fix any existing trucks without causing panic among current owners. I really wish theyā€™d come out with a little more specific information about what exactly the problem is and why they donā€™t believe that existing owners are impacted.

jlwillia6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜14 Silverado, ā€˜23 Lightning Lariat ER (ordered)
My estimated delivery date changed. For the last 2 weeks, my estimated delivery was 2/28 - 3/6. I checked everyday and today it changed. Now it says 2/25 - 3/3. So if thatā€™s accurate, that would mean theyā€™re not touching every Lightning already shipped. Iā€™ll keep everyone updated if it actually shows up next week.

Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My estimated delivery date changed. For the last 2 weeks, my estimated delivery was 2/28 - 3/6. I checked everyday and today it changed. Now it says 2/25 - 3/3. So if thatā€™s accurate, that would mean theyā€™re not touching every Lightning already shipped. Iā€™ll keep everyone updated if it actually shows up next week.
When was your build date?

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Volt, F150 Lightning Pro
My delivery date went from 2/2-2/8 all the way to 3/7-3/13. At this point I'd be stoked if they release it from the rail yard two hours away and let me take delivery.

The thing that I don't understand is why people with vehicles produced on the same day got to take delivery if the truck was already at the dealer, while mine is on hold because it hadn't been loaded on a transport truck. If there is an issue, why let the customer take the risk? If there isn't an issue (since some customers were allowed to take delivery) then why continue to hold vehicles in transit. This is what is pissing me off, doesn't make sense to me.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My delivery date went from 2/2-2/8 all the way to 3/7-3/13. At this point I'd be stoked if they release it from the rail yard two hours away and let me take delivery.

The thing that I don't understand is why people with vehicles produced on the same day got to take delivery if the truck was already at the dealer, while mine is on hold because it hadn't been loaded on a transport truck. If there is an issue, why let the customer take the risk? If there isn't an issue (since some customers were allowed to take delivery) then why continue to hold vehicles in transit. This is what is pissing me off, doesn't make sense to me.
There may be some very specific Battery build dates or batches that are problematic here. On some level, luck of the draw is at work here.

Its PJ Bia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO
I love that I waited almost 2yrs for this truck and my luck puts me in the select group of trucks held in shipping purgatory with zero updates from ford or my dealer. which could lead to a several month wait if the battery needs to be replacedšŸ™ƒ
Sponsored