• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Read before you order! Expect 50% range loss in winter in Northern states.

Jaspernuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 mustang
I expected around 30% range loss in winter. I have a Mach e, no heat pump just like the lightning. Around zero degrees, expect 50 percent loss and 60 percent at -10 to -20. Your 230 mile lightning will have 115 miles of range at these temperatures.

Ford F-150 Lightning Read before you order! Expect 50% range loss in winter in Northern states. Screenshot_20220223-060628_FordPass
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Even in East TN, mine dropped close to 50%

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Sounds about right - preconditioning can help offset this a bit and it actually gets better on longer drives as the system warms up.

On a day to day basis, it has zero impact unless you have a very long commute.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Our Bolt went from almost 300 on the GOM in late spring through early fall to 120 when VERY cold in the winter. Range may have been better by driving a bit faster so that climate control was not running for as much time. This is the reason why we picked the ER battery (and faster charging).

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Sounds about right - preconditioning can help offset this a bit and it actually gets better on longer drives as the system warms up.

On a day to day basis, it has zero impact unless you have a very long commute.
Even if the range is not a concern, the reduced efficiency over the road (total miles per kWh, not just the kWh used for propulsion) is something to be conscious of.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Battery preconditioning will mitigate winter range losses. I'm guessing the F150 ER trims will take less of a hit than the SR due to higher battery pack thermal mass (if the vehicle is preconditioned).

The winter range hit is probably not an issue for most commutes. Preconditioning is key if you're planning a longer drive in colder ambient temperatures.

Last edited:

Powerboost22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost
Technology isn’t there yet, Ford’s rush to market on this one. Very happy to order the powerboost. For those that won’t travel in it that’s a great truck but there’s going to be a lot that will feel over promised under delivered. Hope they don’t loose too many customers on it

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

Powerboost22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost
For whom?

70% of reservations for the lightning are new to Ford and new to the truck segment. I don't think they're going to lose customers.
To whom? - to the people that want to go 200-300 miles when it’s cold out. (Myself that does about 150 round trip regardless of weather to and from Manhattan, really concerned about the cold / snowy days with traffic I wouldn’t make it home)

70%? That’s impressive wasn’t aware of that honestly. Hopefully they come back for their next

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Whew!! Even if I would have gotten the standard range that would leave me with 115. Gets me to where I need to go and back locally. Don’t plan any long distant trips in the winter.

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
To whom? - to the people that want to go 200-300 miles when it’s cold out. (Myself that does about 150 round trip regardless of weather to and from Manhattan, really concerned about the cold / snowy days with traffic I wouldn’t make it home)

70%? That’s impressive wasn’t aware of that honestly. Hopefully they come back for their next
Its fine for most folks who can precondition... and honestly fine for most that can't. Somehow folks in friggin' Norway are managing just fine (January sales were 84% EVs). Once you get over the range anxiety and plan a little then 200-300 miles is no sweat. If its not for you, then its not for you, but I think Tesla, VW, Ford, etc. are proving we're gonna be okay--and I believe most EV buyers do know what they're getting into.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
So 150 miles per day. That would be upward of $10,000 for gasoline per year vs about $2,500 for EV. Heavy traffic would likely improve EV efficiency.

Powerboost22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost
Its fine for most folks who can precondition... and honestly fine for most that can't. Somehow folks in friggin' Norway are managing just fine (January sales were 84% EVs). Once you get over the range anxiety and plan a little then 200-300 miles is no sweat. If its not for you, then its not for you, but I think Tesla, VW, Ford, etc. are proving we're gonna be okay--and I believe most EV buyers do know what they're getting into.
Definite range anxiety, I just would feel more comfortable with 400miles so there’s a buffer. I get it’s 150 but I don’t want the anxiety either that I need to go straight home to charge and no stops can happen. Charge network is coming but not there yet for me. I’m watching trust me, I’m ready to convert to the Ev side but again from my first post here I just feel the tech is still lacking. At least from ford range options. I’m on my 3rd ford, always be a ford fan I think but I feel I need model s mileage in a truck. I know asking for a lot.