• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

REDWOOD MATERIALS SHARES 2023 EV BATTERY RECYCLING RESULTS

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
https://fordauthority.com/2023/03/redwood-materials-shares-2023-ev-battery-recycling-results/
Ford F-150 Lightning REDWOOD MATERIALS SHARES 2023 EV BATTERY RECYCLING RESULTS 1678025374488

By Brett Foote
March 5, 2023 3:01 am
https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...als-shares-2023-ev-battery-recycling-results/
Ford originally announced that it would be teaming up with a company called Redwood Materials back in September 2021, a partnership that aims to create a battery recycling and domestic battery supply chain for electric vehicles. Then, last February, the automaker began shipping old hybrid and EV batteries to Redwood’s facility in California, where they’re being recycled. In the meantime, Redwood Materials has its eye on a rapid expansion that includes building new battery recycling plants in Nevada and South Carolina, while the company also recently secured a conditional commitment for a $2 billion loan from the Department of Energy’s Loan Program Office as part of the Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan Program (ATVM). Now, the company has shared its one-year progress report regarding its mission to recycle EV batteries.

In total, Redwood collected 1,268 lithium-ion and nickel metal hydride (NiMH) vehicle batteries over the past 12 months, totaling roughly a half million pounds of material. Out of those battery packs, less than five percent were Damaged, Defective, or Recalled (DDR). All of these units were packaged, transported, and recycled at the company’s Nevada plant, and the recovered metals are being used to produce battery materials, anode, and cathode, which will be returned to U.S. battery cell manufacturers.

Redwood notes that the most costly part of this process actually pertains to logistics, though it to plans to achieve economies of scale through increased collection volume. However, the recycling process is also ready proving profitable for smaller battery packs, such as those found in consumer devices and production scrap.

Working hand-in-hand with automotive dismantlers and manufacturers, Redwood Materials is confident that EV battery recycling will soon become a viable business, helping to reduce costs for OEMs and consumers alike, particularly as the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 has placed a renewed focus on domestic battery production.

We’ll have more on Redwood Materials soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for non-stop Ford news coverage.
Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Good to see they are off the ground and running. I imagine it’s logistically easier to recycle a single EV battery than thousands of smaller consumer batteries to recover the same amount of material. I think Redwood was founded by the Co-founder of Tesla so it should be exciting to see them partner with OEMs

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Redwood is the third company in the US that is doing battery recycling. Several more in Europe.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
This is really good. Maybe we wont have to listen to the complaints from anti-EV people about the batteries being another nuclear waste type debacle with no solution.
If only but that wont fit the "EV BAD" narrative so they wont even pay attention. I tell people about the batteries being able to be recycled and they just come up with another excuse. Half my family complains about my truck and then turns around and talks about how we are going to run out of oil in our lifetime but EVs arent the answer because they were told so. "well it cant tow" "you only get like 200 miles" "EVs are so much more expensive" "the battery is $30k to replace and will be dead by 100k" And i just keep smiling and remind them that my truck costs me $5 a trip to work vs $25, i get to charge at home, and i dragged my dads 8.0 2500 chevy like it was a toy
Sponsored