• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Regenerative braking seems reduced over the past week

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Which update changed 1PD regen?
OTA 3.4 had the 1PD regen change.

I was really looking forward to the less aggressive 1PD but when mine went from 3.2 to 3.5.2 without getting the 3.4, my 1PD is still the same - very aggressive and non usable for my urban driving.

Still using Sport mode to regen and love it.

I really wanted 3.4 but they skipped out on that one for me...
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
OTA 3.4 had the 1PD regen change.

I was really looking forward to the less aggressive 1PD but when mine went from 3.2 to 3.5.2 without getting the 3.4, my 1PD is still the same - very aggressive and non usable for my urban driving.

Still using Sport mode to regen and love it.

I really wanted 3.4 but they skipped out on that one for me...
I would think you would want more aggressive regen in city driving - in case you need to stop short when someone pulls out in front of you and the like. You can always have less regen if you come off of the pedal less, but once you are off you can't get anymore...

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
very aggressive and non usable for my urban driving
I would think you would want more aggressive regen in city driving
I don't want a car hitching a ride up inside the bed.

I find the ACC aggressive to the point that if I was driving behind me in dense 25-45 mph traffic, I would think I was constantly and suddenly being brake checked. It's hurry up and hard regen, with the truck blocking the view ahead of people behind you. I can 'hand drive' it a lot better than that using the regen from the brake pedal. In 1PD, it's aggressive enough in traffic to make you think lifting off the accelerator in 1PD may stop you when traffic stops suddenly, but you can't be sure without covering the brake. I'm not brave enough to just let the truck figure it out with emergency brake assist.

So far, I'm not impressed by the ADAS systems, mainly because of BC lane centering where the 'center' is over by the traffic in an adjacent traffic lane.

(Normal Mode, upgrade went 3.1->3.5.2)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don't want a car hitching a ride up inside the bed.

I find the ACC aggressive to the point that if I was driving behind me in dense 25-45 mph traffic, I would think I was constantly and suddenly being brake checked. It's hurry up and hard regen, with the truck blocking the view ahead of people behind you. I can 'hand drive' it a lot better than that using the regen from the brake pedal. In 1PD, it's aggressive enough in traffic to make you think lifting off the accelerator in 1PD may stop you when traffic stops suddenly, but you can't be sure without covering the brake. I'm not brave enough to just let the truck figure it out with emergency brake assist.

So far, I'm not impressed by the ADAS systems, mainly because of BC lane centering where the 'center' is over by the traffic in an adjacent traffic lane.

(Normal Mode, upgrade went 3.1->3.5.2)
You don't always need to come all of the way off of the pedal when slowing down using 1 pedal. You can adjust your slow down rate as much as you want with pedal position. By reducing the maximum regen in 1 pedal, it just makes it that much harder to no use the brake or you have to start slowing down much earlier than natural. A good 1 pedal system should mean that you never have to use the brake pedal unless in an emergency brake situation. I can do this in our Mach-e, but I need to keep it in Unbridled because the regen is too weak in the other modes.

I don't have mine yet, but it sounds like they are moving the Lightning to a really poor 1 pedal implementation. Hopefully someday they realize that people have different tastes and make it user adjustable.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
You don't always need to come all of the way off of the pedal when slowing down using 1 pedal
You have to come all the way off the accelerator to go to the brake pedal in stop-and-go traffic when you're not sure 1PD is going to complete a sudden stop. It's aggressive regen, but hard to predict the actual stopping point. Unless, you start using left foot to cover the brake pedal. If I have to cover the brake pedal anyway, I'll just drive normally and milk the regen out using the brake pedal.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
break pedal? friction break? o_O
I never learned how to spell. I meant Brake Pedal. All I am saying is that there is loss whenever energy that comes out of the battery goes back in it. Although I have never used regen before and don't know in practice which option I would like more, I suspect I would get into hypermiling and will make a game out of trying to maximize my mil/KWh. I am not certain how Lightning works. If the first part of the brake pedal is regen brake and in the second part (as you push down on the pedal) friction brake is added, then by releasing the go pedal, I know I am not using friction brake so I may have easier time minimizing regen with zero friction. Again, if the display tells me how much Friction and how much regen I am using at all times, I could learn to make 1 pedal work but I suspect I may have to be more careful with it and jumping back and forth between our ICE and EV may get a bit more confusing. Curious to know what people that constantly switch between ICE and EV think about one Pedal Driving. Like if you drive to work with your EV and get into a company ICE everyday.

That is a bit concerning. Did you have the option to do both updates sequentially and you chose not to or once 3.5.2 came out you lost the chance to pick 3.4? If the second one is the case, this sounds like a Ford booboo in planning but failing to include all previous updates in 3.5.2. If 3.4 had a safety fix that was not included in 3.5.2, it could be a problem. People could let their cars sit for personal reasons or delay updates to avoid unintended consequences of each update. They should not have to worry about missing updates. Do you have the option replace the entire software with the latest?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You have to come all the way off the accelerator to go to the brake pedal in stop-and-go traffic when you're not sure 1PD is going to complete a sudden stop. It's aggressive regen, but hard to predict the actual stopping point. Unless, you start using left foot to cover the brake pedal. If I have to cover the brake pedal anyway, I'll just drive normally and milk the regen out using the brake pedal.
Once you get used to 1 pedal, you can drive in stop and go traffic with no issues without covering the brake pedal, or relying on the ADAS.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
That is a bit concerning. Did you have the option to do both updates sequentially and you chose not to or once 3.5.2 came out you lost the chance to pick 3.4? If the second one is the case, this sounds like a Ford booboo in planning but failing to include all previous updates in 3.5.2. If 3.4 had a safety fix that was not included in 3.5.2, it could be a problem. People could let their cars sit for personal reasons or delay updates to avoid unintended consequences of each update. They should not have to worry about missing updates. Do you have the option replace the entire software with the latest?
No option to upgrade - it had been stuck in 3.2 for almost 2 months.

Finally, when I did get my next OTA update, it was 3.5.2.

Skipped 3.4 which is what I really wanted because the harsh regen of 1PD is not to my liking in urban congested traffic.

So from day 1, I have 1PD off.
I use Sport Mode for a moderate regen which I like.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Once you get used to 1 pedal, you can drive in stop and go traffic with no issues without covering the brake pedal, or relying on the ADAS.
I hope when you get your truck it does everything you hope it will do for you.

I'm not sure what type of rush hour congestion you drive in, it's pretty aggressive Wild West swoop and squat traffic here.

IH905

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Lincoln Nav, Lightning Platinum-On order
Occupation
Business Owner
I noticed the change as well. It had taken a bit getting used to it, but I had just gotten the hang of 1PD and really liked it. Now I find I still need to use the brake now with the less aggressive regen on 1PD mode. Switch it back!

Sponsored
OP
OP

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I noticed the change as well. It had taken a bit getting used to it, but I had just gotten the hang of 1PD and really liked it. Now I find I still need to use the brake now with the less aggressive regen on 1PD mode. Switch it back!
I'm hoping @Ford Motor Company switches it back

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
As far as I can tell, I have not had an update but my 1PD has also changed. Much less aggressive which has come close to causing me problems.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager