• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Safety Issue with Cruise Control Accidently Engaging

xwing

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I have had the truck keep going after letting off the accelerator on sharp turns at low speed. I use one-petal exclusively and was expecting it to stop or slow when letting off the accelerator. The first time was day 3 of having the truck and I was driving in a parking lot making a sharp left. I chalked it up to being new and me getting used to things.

Today, I was pulling in the driveway rather quickly because there was a car coming up behind me fast. This was a sharp right. I was using the palm of my hand to turn the steering wheel multiple rotations and as soon as I got in the driveway, I let off the accelerator and had to hit the brake to stop. When I looked at the instrument panel crusie was greyed out set for 16MPH. I believe that my palm or finger hit the cruise button and it sets with one touch.

@Ford Motor Company , I believe that this is a safety issue having cruise engage at speeds less than 20MPH.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have had the truck keep going after letting off the accelerator on sharp turns at low speed. I use one-petal exclusively and was expecting it to stop or slow when letting off the accelerator. The first time was day 3 of having the truck and I was driving in a parking lot making a sharp left. I chalked it up to being new and me getting used to things.

Today, I was pulling in the driveway rather quickly because there was a car coming up behind me fast. This was a sharp right. I was using the palm of my hand to turn the steering wheel multiple rotations and as soon as I got in the driveway, I let off the accelerator and had to hit the brake to stop. When I looked at the instrument panel crusie was greyed out set for 16MPH. I believe that my palm or finger hit the cruise button and it sets with one touch.

@Ford Motor Company , I believe that this is a safety issue having cruise engage at speeds less than 20MPH.
Hey there, Jeff! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your cruise control concern on my end.

OP
OP
xwing

xwing

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I can confirm the cruise comes on and sets with one touch of the cruise on button. Seems like it should turn on with the cruise button and not set until the set button is pressed. I tested this this morning.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
As stated in the manual.

Ford F-150 Lightning Safety Issue with Cruise Control Accidently  Engaging A86C3878-4D7E-4E1C-9431-7B2131400C19

Sponsored
OP
OP
xwing

xwing

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
As stated in the manual.

A86C3878-4D7E-4E1C-9431-7B2131400C19.jpeg
Yes it does. I'm just saying that I think it is a safety issue because of where the cruise button is located. I have accidently set it on 4 times now in the past 2 weeks. With one petal drive active, I was expecting to slow when letting off the accelerator and then it doesn't there is a split second added to reaction time to hit the brake. If I were not in one petal mode, I would not have an expectation of slowing down and hit the brakes faster.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes it does. I'm just saying that I think it is a safety issue because of where the cruise button is located. I have accidently set it on 4 times now in the past 2 weeks. With one petal drive active, I was expecting to slow when letting off the accelerator and then it doesn't there is a split second added to reaction time to hit the brake. If I were not in one petal mode, I would not have an expectation of slowing down and hit the brakes faster.
I don’t disagree. A couple Mach-E owners have encountered the same thing. One guy did it in a crowded parking lot and narrowly escaped disaster.
Basically, anyone with a habit of palming the wheel while turning is likely to accidentally engage cruise at some point.

OP
OP
xwing

xwing

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I don’t disagree. A couple Mach-E owners have encountered the same thing. One guy did it in a crowded parking lot and narrowly escaped disaster.
Basically, anyone with a habit of palming the wheel while turning is likely to accidentally engage cruise at some point.
Ok, as long as Ford is aware, I think this is an issue that should be addressed before disaster does strike.

I actually did it again earlier today when completing a turn. I let go of the wheel to let it straighten by itself and I just happened to grip it back in the wrong place. Fortunately I was less than 15MPH and got that message.

I have had cars that auto engage in the past and I like the feature (Why press 2 buttons?). I have never accidentally engaged it before either. The placement of the button on the steering wheel is the issue and the Lightning is the first car I have had it happen to. One petal kind of exacerbates the situation.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Both my cars you have to turn cruise on, then hit it again to set the speed. I'd like to think Ford could fix this with a software update and make the first press only turn it on but not set/engage. I'd have no problem with that since every other vehicle either does the same or has a button to disable/enable cruise separate from setting/adjusting the speed.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Please don't encourage Ford to remove functionality that others may find useful when used correctly. I like how easy it is to engage cruise. And there are use cases for setting cruise at 20 mph, I have one.

It was always kind of stupid to have to press two buttons to turn cruise on for when you're driving and I like that Ford recognizes that (probably stole it from Tesla IDK). Yes it surprised me the first time I pressed the button but I rather like it now. If you want them to change functionality make it an option and not apply to everyone ("Two-button cruise").

EDIT: And i like the button placement. Two most used features are cruise on/off and Volume. Both are an easy thumb press if you are driving with two hands on the wheel and not your palms :).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok, as long as Ford is aware, I think this is an issue that should be addressed before disaster does strike.

I actually did it again earlier today when completing a turn. I let go of the wheel to let it straighten by itself and I just happened to grip it back in the wrong place. Fortunately I was less than 15MPH and got that message.

I have had cars that auto engage in the past and I like the feature (Why press 2 buttons?). I have never accidentally engaged it before either. The placement of the button on the steering wheel is the issue and the Lightning is the first car I have had it happen to. One petal kind of exacerbates the situation.
I’ve had Hondas going back to 98 that could enable cruise with a single button push and never had or heard of this problem. IMO, the placement and shape of the button is the issue here.

I know some Ford employees watch these forums, so some there are aware. “Officially aware” might be another thing.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I was pulling into parking spot and the truck lunged forward and I had to hit the brake, looked down and cruise was activated so I think I hit the button accidentally. Very dangerous only happen one time although I have accedentaly hit the button while turning.

OP
OP
xwing

xwing

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Please don't encourage Ford to remove functionality that others may find useful when used correctly. I like how easy it is to engage cruise. And there are use cases for setting cruise at 20 mph, I have one.

It was always kind of stupid to have to press two buttons to turn cruise on for when you're driving and I like that Ford recognizes that (probably stole it from Tesla IDK). Yes it surprised me the first time I pressed the button but I rather like it now. If you want them to change functionality make it an option and not apply to everyone ("Two-button cruise").

EDIT: And i like the button placement. Two most used features are cruise on/off and Volume. Both are an easy thumb press if you are driving with two hands on the wheel and not your palms :).
I agree. I like it too, but its a safety risk, especially with one petal drive. I have had other cars that used one button to engage cruise and never had an issue. I like the idea of having and option for 1 or 2 button engage. Another answer could be to raise the threshold to which it engages to 20-25 MPH. This is a great truck and having discussions like this can make it even better.

Last edited:

Technoman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 JK//2006 1T Silverado/1970 CJ/2023 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
My first trip today the first thing I liked was the 1 button push cruise.....Learn how to use your steering wheel...If I palmed the wheel I'd turn on way more than cruise that I didn't want ! Please Ford don't change it on my truck LOL
Sponsored