• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Service - the big issue that's getting bigger

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
Ditto on this...

My AC had been failing lately (no cold air when Truck is not moving). Brought it into the dealership to be told everything was fine and that the truck would give a warning if something was wrong.

Once I showed the mechanic what was going on, he acknowledged that it was probably not normal...he mentioned that he would be reading up on it in the weekend to find out what might be going on.

I appreciate the effort to try and figure it out, but this worries me once I get out of warranty...odds are they won't have trained technicians to work on these and it will cost an arm and a leg for simple repairs...example: they may just change the whole compressor instead of changing one part inside the compressor since I don't know how qualified they are to assess this...
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Maybe, just a guess mind you, it could be Ford saying no warranty work paid unless work done by ev trained tech. Maybe why some dealers are saying we will sell it to you but we won't service it.
Ford required the dealers to go through some sort of process to be certified to sell EVs. I'm guessing this included having one or more trained technicians. How is Ford handling this if they no longer have a trained tech, who knows. But at some point, in the not so distant future, this is going to really hurt those dealers that refuse to adapt.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Ditto on this...

My AC had been failing lately (no cold air when Truck is not moving). Brought it into the dealership to be told everything was fine and that the truck would give a warning if something was wrong.

Once I showed the mechanic what was going on, he acknowledged that it was probably not normal...he mentioned that he would be reading up on it in the weekend to find out what might be going on.

I appreciate the effort to try and figure it out, but this worries me once I get out of warranty...odds are they won't have trained technicians to work on these and it will cost an arm and a leg for simple repairs...example: they may just change the whole compressor instead of changing one part inside the compressor since I don't know how qualified they are to assess this...
I'd check if the fan is coming on. I bet it's not. A fun test would be to go dcfc and see if the truck throttles the charging rate due to temperature and then see if it throws any codes. I believe that the AC system is also used to cool the motors/batteries.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Ford required the dealers to go through some sort of process to be certified to sell EVs. I'm guessing this included having one or more trained technicians. How is Ford handling this if they no longer have a trained tech, who knows. But at some point, in the not so distant future, this is going to really hurt those dealers that refuse to adapt.
As long as Ford keeps selling super duty's, ice f 150 and those Broncos that seem to be everywhere, those dealers will be just fine.

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
I'd check if the fan is coming on. I bet it's not. A fun test would be to go dcfc and see if the truck throttles the charging rate due to temperature and then see if it throws any codes. I believe that the AC system is also used to cool the motors/batteries.
This is what I also believe. Whenever the AC comes on, it's a small whining noise coming from the driver side tire instead of a the loud noise the AC usually makes. I'm definitely not confident in going on a long road trip at this moment.

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
+1 on the dealers' bad attitudes about EVs and online transactions. The rep who handled my truck sale at my original dealer complained bitterly about how EVs will cut into the profitability of their Service Department, etc. I don't think they're happy about fixed-price online ordering either. The dealer I originally went to also refuses to participate in online ordering of parts with installation via Accessories.Ford.com. At that dealer, I was told that the installation of the Ford Perimeter Plus Security System (the basic shock sensor) would take two hours of labor, one for installation and the other for programming. Went to another nearby dealer who vouched, as online posts say, that it's a quick 20- to 30-minute installation. So I may be switching dealers. Ford has a problem with herding dealer cats into the EV world...

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
There is nothing on these trucks that requires a special EV mechanic other than the electric motors and HVB system. If that’s not your problem any trained mechanic can plug into FDRS or do the pinpoint tests on components, change a leaking taillight bar, replace a module etc. in my experience though people want highly trained and skilled individuals but balk at the bill because it’s too high and think a trained baboon should do the job for bananas.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
I intend to do the regular maintenance myself and have a logbook to record it all. I am perfectly capable of inspecting suspension, brakes, etc that are the annual/10k mile service checks.

I will let my Ford dealer change the brake fluid every 3 years, because it can get complicated with an EV and the "special equipment" call out in the manual raises an eyebrow.
Sponsored