• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

SOS on Trailer Hitch Ball Mount and Ball

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Never towed anything in my life before and totally clueless. I have nothing specific in mind to tow in future (could be a trailer, could be a boat but more likely something from U-Haul) but would like to be prepared not necessarily for everything but for as many potential cases as possible. Today is the last day of Ford 18% discount in their store and I like to get a mount and a ball but completely confused which one to get for my Pro (7,700 Ib Towing capacity, receiver label: 10K lb WD).

Very confuse about everything. 2" drop vs 4" drop? What is the most likely drop I will use? 1" diameter stuff list F150 as something it fits but they are only 6,000 lb capacity. But super duty stuff at higher capacity does not list F150 as a fit (still 2" receiver). I am not sure why I can't or shouldn't use those.

Here is some of the stuff they have listed:
https://accessories.ford.com/search?q=ball

on a different note, I am also looking at their Hitch shackle too:
https://accessories.ford.com/products/curt-hitch-shackle-kit

Any input on what works, what does not and what you recommended I should get is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The ball you buy is good for a 500 pound hitch weight / 5,000 pound trailer. Anything more technically requires a weight distribution hitch, which means the ball comes back off. For example, a travel trailer. A good WDH is quite expensive.

I bought this for mine - MaxxHaul 70067 Trailer Hitch - 8-Position Adjustable Ball Mount Tow Hitch - 5000 lbs. GTW Capacity , Black

I bought two of these to lock the receiver parts together, as well as the receiver to the truck - MAXXHAUL 50058 Hitch Receiver Lock with 5/8" and 1/2" Pins for 1-1/4", 2" and 2-1/2" Hitch Receivers

I bought the ball at U-Haul, because they have a special tightening fastener that allows you to make sure the ball is on properly. https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Hitch-Balls-Mounts/Hitch-Balls/2-Hitch-Balls/?mid=424 You want the shank to be 1", and the proper length shank for the mount. I think it's 2 3/16" for the above hitch, but if you need me to look let me know.

I have this hitch and shackle combination - Smittybilt Black Powdercoated 2 inch Receiver Mounted D-Ring Shackle 29312B and an extra shackle for the strap or chain - Smittybilt 13047B D-Ring Shackle 3/4" Threaded Pin 4.75 Ton Rating Black.

My strap is from 1982 so you can't find that anymore...

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The ball you buy is good for a 500 pound hitch weight / 5,000 pound trailer. Anything more technically requires a weight distribution hitch, which means the ball comes back off. For example, a travel trailer. A good WDH is quite expensive.

I bought this for mine - MaxxHaul 70067 Trailer Hitch - 8-Position Adjustable Ball Mount Tow Hitch - 5000 lbs. GTW Capacity , Black

I bought two of these to lock the receiver parts together, as well as the receiver to the truck - MAXXHAUL 50058 Hitch Receiver Lock with 5/8" and 1/2" Pins for 1-1/4", 2" and 2-1/2" Hitch Receivers

I bought the ball at U-Haul, because they have a special tightening fastener that allows you to make sure the ball is on properly. https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Hitch-Balls-Mounts/Hitch-Balls/2-Hitch-Balls/?mid=424 You want the shank to be 1", and the proper length shank for the mount. I think it's 2 3/16" for the above hitch, but if you need me to look let me know.

I have this hitch and shackle combination - Smittybilt Black Powdercoated 2 inch Receiver Mounted D-Ring Shackle 29312B and an extra shackle for the strap or chain - Smittybilt 13047B D-Ring Shackle 3/4" Threaded Pin 4.75 Ton Rating Black.

My strap is from 1982 so you can't find that anymore...
Super helpful. Really appreciate the quick response.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Last edited:

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Buy a receiver and ball when you have a trailer to pull. Then buy a receiver with the drop that keeps your trailer level and a ball that is the proper size for the trailer.

Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Since you don't have a specific trailer in mind, it's a good idea to have a hitch that has adjustable height options.

I have this one from Weighsafe, and I'm quite happy with it. Warning, it's pricey. I had it from my old truck, and moved it over to my lightning. Since the built in scales were deleted from my truck, this at least gives me something similar.

https://a.co/d/2QQjgi0

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Agree with PA Lightning... You don't need to rush to use the discount. They have them all the time.

You don't need to rush to buy a ball or other towing hardware until you need it and know what you are going to need.

Buy a receiver and ball when you have a trailer to pull. Then buy a receiver with the drop that keeps your trailer level and a ball that is the proper size for the trailer.
Henry makes it pretty straight forward and simple right there.

Going to pull a U-Haul? Just buy the ball from them as it will be a 2" or similar and they will sell it for like $30 and you're done. You won't need anything else from them to connect one of their trailers and the wiring will plug into the connector on your bumper. I don't think U-Haul rents any trailers with onboard brakes, they're all pretty light-duty stuff.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would not rush to use the 18% off. They seem to have a discount every month.
Last couple of arms and balls I got were the kit from Curt at Walmart.
The link in an example. I use a 3.5" drop.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CURT-450...r-7-500-lbs-4-Inch-Drop/17446235?athbdg=L1600
I just order the same exact one before reading your note from Amazon. The only reason I was trying to order from Ford was using my points otherwise everything is overpriced there.

I may have to use U-Haul trailer to move my bike soon and it seems like what I bought with 4" drop should be good for that for now. After that, I may take your advice and/or Rick's buy either something flexible or strong enough for the use later.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford deadline got me on shopping mode but since I learned I can't use my points, I ordered the following from Amazon for now and I got it out of my system so I can wait to figure out if I have something permanent to tow.

Ford F-150 Lightning SOS on Trailer Hitch Ball Mount and Ball 1675211173411

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
4" drop/2" ball will cover 90% of handy homeowner/recreational boater situations. Just make sure you check that the trailer you are using actually uses a 2" ball and not something bigger.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Even though my shopping deadline is over, I could still use the education if anyone think of anything they wish they knew when they were green in the art of towing.

Last edited:

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Even though my shopping deadline is over, I could still use the education if anyone think of anything they wish they knew when they were green in the art of towing.
Make a checklist. Follow it every time, without missing a step. Don't let your spouse/kids/buddy talk to you when you are following the checklist. Develop muscle memory for how you go through the process, and put obstacles in the way of yourself if needed (like leaving your keyring attached to the lock, so you can't leave without touching it, reminding you to put it in place).

Because, invariably, you will miss the step where you lock the tongue onto the ball. Then you'll pull away, and drop the trailer on the street.

I mean, uhhh, that's what a friend told me. Yeah, that's it. πŸ˜‰

Edit: And if you have kids, teach them how to do it. And let them turn the crank. It makes them feel powerful.

LMcqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Best suggestion from a buddy who does tow was… get a hitch regardless of towing, because it will keep idiots off your bumper. They’ll smash their bumper on your inexpensive steel hitch before they contact your nice painted bumper and its expensive parking sensors.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
[/QUOTE

Watch some videos on how to load the trailer so the weight is distributed properly. An improperly loaded trailer is dangerous.

If you have Tow Tech in your Pro, you will have a trailer screen. with some good info. Use it.

Go to an open parking lot and practice backing.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Watch some videos on how to load the trailer so the weight is distributed properly. An improperly loaded trailer is dangerous.

If you have Tow Tech in your Pro, you will have a trailer screen. with some good info. Use it.

Go to an open parking lot and practice backing.
Now that I am missing the scale, what is the best way of knowing my tongue weight?
Sponsored