• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

STAR WHITE F-150 Lightning Photos & Club

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Maybe a dumb question, but what makes STAR WHITE METALLIC TRICOAT cost $795 more ?

Is it an extra 2 coats than “regular” colors?

I picked it for it’s great look, But wondering exactly what’s the process that makes this color more costly for Ford to produce in the manufacturing , and does it give us benefits long term against fading, or anything, or is it just the good looks.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Maybe a dumb question, but what makes STAR WHITE METALLIC TRICOAT cost $795 more ?

Is it an extra 2 coats than “regular” colors?

I picked it for it’s great look, But wondering exactly what’s the process that makes this color more costly for Ford to produce in the manufacturing , and does it give us benefits long term against fading, or anything, or is it just the good looks.
I learned from @RTanton that “the whites allow for more TiO2 pigment and are more stable with exposure to our strong UV”, we’re in California. I do know the star white is tri-coat (well that’s easy it’s in the name, stupid for me to state that 😂) and I believe that and the make up of the pigment contributes to price.
The main reason for me choosing it is my 2011 was a similar color (I think they called it platinum white way back then) and to this day looks amazing.

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
I learned from @RTanton that “the whites allow for more TiO2 pigment and are more stable with exposure to our strong UV”, we’re in California. I do know the star white is tri-coat (well that’s easy it’s in the name, stupid for me to state that 😂) and I believe that and the make up of the pigment contributes to price.
The main reason for me choosing it is my 2011 was a similar color (I think they called it platinum white way back then) and to this day looks amazing.

thanks for the intel !

I’m getting the color for the same reason actually.
My brother has a 2013 Platinum in a similar color,
and he was just saying today to me that since he got his Bronco (in Antimatter blue), he’s not driving his truck much, and the truck’s got an inch of pollen on it right now and you can’t even tell it’s there. The color hides a lot.

(He loves his new Bronco, but the antimatter blue shows every speck of dirt - hard to keep it clean, though it’s gorgeous)

Ford F-150 Lightning STAR WHITE F-150 Lightning Photos & Club 9ED4BF46-6714-42B6-90D1-35A69C8A7BC1

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Per this page:

https://itstillruns.com/tricoating-car-mean-12162243.html

The midcoat layer of paint is what separates a tri-coat paint job from other, more basic options. The midcoat is a semi-transparent paint that combines with the base coat to produce vivid colors. For example, use of a midcoat helps produce pearl, chameleon and candy paint jobs that show off a glitter-like appearance. Midcoats typically feature a similar makeup to that of base coats.

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I was set on Antimatter blue but its not blue until the sun hits it just right. Star white is my final color choice, for sure after learning of the tri-coat, why wouldn't they offer all colors in tri-coat?

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think tri-coat is required in all cases. For some, the metal flake or pearl could be mixed in with the base coat. My Miata's paint has metal flake but it is not a tri-coat. Perhaps a tri coat lets you get more of a sparkle or pearl effect by having that dedicated mid-coat.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Order went from ice Silver, to Red to Star White, have three versions of the Buyers order. Star White is what it's locked in at. These pics help allot. They are all nice colors

Sponsored

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Kurtis W.'s delivered Star White F150 Lightning. (y)

Star White F-150 Lightning 1.jpg

Star White F-150 Lightning.jpg

Star White F-150 Lightning 1.jpg
Cool ! Thanks.
It looks like the upper light bar is out, driver side, on the corner?
Or maybe the camera is just not picking it up ?

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Probably blank due to shutter speed and not actually off.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicles
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Occupation
Drug Dealer of the LED World