• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stranded 2023 Lariat - unable to start vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
Do you have a way to check voltage at the bus bar?
Sponsored

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
I’d be willing to bet you have a fried Gateway module.
As other have suggested, I believe you need to get this truck to your dealer for service.
They might not know what the error is, but they will get Ford engineers involved.
That would be what I would do. (In fact that is what I did when my Lightning decided to take an unscheduled nap).

OP
OP

ksy2S1

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I’d be willing to bet you have a fried Gateway module.
As other have suggested, I believe you need to get this truck to your dealer for service.
They might not know what the error is, but they will get Ford engineers involved.
That would be what I would do. (In fact that is what I did when my Lightning decided to take an unscheduled nap).
Agreed. The expensive, new truck is now FINALLY on the way to a dealer to be de-bricked.

What I don't understand is why the gateway module would just go out without any warning. This would have been a REAL disaster if it didn't happen at home. Wish there was a way to know it was about to fail.

tubby

First Name
Press
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
No apparent signs of mouse damage. I didn't remove wheel well panels but I looked everywhere and everything *looks in order*.

Just checked these connections and all seem secure. I also checked the grounding points on the Fram that I can see from the wheel well and from crawling under the truck and those ALSO seem secure.

It WAS raining the night after I drove, before this happened. But besides that the truck was largely undisturbed. Will charge the 12V again all night and see if that fixes it, but did that last night with no success.
Was there lightning and thunder out when it was raining the night after and did you have it plugged in?

OP
OP

ksy2S1

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was there lightning and thunder out when it was raining the night after and did you have it plugged in?
No thunder, but heavy rain (even for Seattle). It WAS plugged in.

Sponsored

Scott Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Space Lazer Repair Technician
I live in Florida, I unplug the Mach e and Lightning when a storm kicks up here.

I have spent years supporting networking equipment and everything storm season, I end up replacing tons of fried equipment. Surge protectors offer little help.

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
What I don't understand is why the gateway module would just go out without any warning. This would have been a REAL disaster if it didn't happen at home. Wish there was a way to know it was about to fail.
Apparently, not a Lightning issue but rather a Ford F-150 issue. Many of the ICE trucks have had similar issues and they too become "useless" as the gateway module helps all the various modules talk to each other. So, yeah, it's like the central nervous system of the vehicle, apparently.
If I was FMC, I'd want that stuff to come from an ISO 9000 supplier rather that the lowest cost producer....I can dream, can't I?

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
No thunder, but heavy rain (even for Seattle). It WAS plugged in.
Drove over to hood canal this weekend, Dosewallips to be exact, and man, the rain was something else…

Maddogaxl

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2023 lightning
Sounds like mice. My truck lasted 8 days and has now been at dealer 2 weeks. About to make my second lease payment with no truck!

Mark Morgenstern

First Name
Mark Morgenstern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lighting
Occupation
Nursery owner
I've had no issues with my truck thus far (beyond failed software updated), but after driving it extensively on Saturday evening, it would not start on Sunday afternoon. The lights would come on but both screens were blank. I could not get the shifter out of park and there was a strange humming noise coming from forward of the driver seat. I attempted to jump the vehicle with an ICE vehicle per the manual instructions, but that did change anything. I then charged the 12V battery to ensure it was at full charge, and that also yielded the same results. During this time the truck would not recognize an external charge via the charge port.

As of now this thing seems bricked. I've read every single relevant threat but am out of options with Ford requiring me to go on a goose chase to get mobile service out (not easy as I live in a remote location). Is there ANYTHING else this group thinks I should try?
Happened to me also. When the tow truck arrived it started up, about 5 hours later. Dealer reset lots of codes and no problems since then.

OP
OP

ksy2S1

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Following up on this thread. My truck was at the dealership for 12 weeks with problem, after problem. Ultimately this issue was caused by a bad charging module but that failure caused a cascade of other failures. The communication from the dealer was close to non-existent. AppallingIy bad, to be honest. I went through the RAV process to have the truck bought back which was generally smooth. This is not the outcome I was hoping for but I simply lost confidence in the vehicle being reliable long term, and Ford's ability to conduct repairs in a rapid manner. I will say that there ARE people at Ford that care - they were proactive throughout the process and were working with the dealer to try and move things along. For those folks, I'm really grateful. I hope to be an F150 Lightning owner again in the future once the product is a bit more road ready. I hope none of you have issues that come close to as painful as what I went through.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.