• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stranded 2023 Lariat - unable to start vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksy2S1

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I've had no issues with my truck thus far (beyond failed software updated), but after driving it extensively on Saturday evening, it would not start on Sunday afternoon. The lights would come on but both screens were blank. I could not get the shifter out of park and there was a strange humming noise coming from forward of the driver seat. I attempted to jump the vehicle with an ICE vehicle per the manual instructions, but that did change anything. I then charged the 12V battery to ensure it was at full charge, and that also yielded the same results. During this time the truck would not recognize an external charge via the charge port.

As of now this thing seems bricked. I've read every single relevant threat but am out of options with Ford requiring me to go on a goose chase to get mobile service out (not easy as I live in a remote location). Is there ANYTHING else this group thinks I should try?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I doubt it would really help, but did you try to SYNC reset (hold volume down and track skip forward)?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Did you try disconnecting the negative terminal on the 12v battery for 10 to 15 minutes?

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I'd be messing with the key fob or PAK and see if you can jog it out of whatever stooper it's in.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ksy2S1

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks all. As mentioned in my original post, I've read every thread related to 12V battery drain and not only disconnected the negative but removed both power leads and used a high end battery tender with a specific AGM setting to top the battery off to 100% overnight. I'm 99% sure this is not because the 12V battery is not fully charged.

OP
OP

ksy2S1

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I doubt it would really help, but did you try to SYNC reset (hold volume down and track skip forward)?
I'll try this - I can only get Sync to come on sparingly and when it does it seems to turn off quite quickly, but good idea to try. Thank you!

OP
OP

ksy2S1

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd be messing with the key fob or PAK and see if you can jog it out of whatever stooper it's in.
PAAK is dead - wont connect. I was able to get the FOB to lock/unlock the doors intermittently but that didn't seem to jog anything.

It feels to me like there is an issue with the relay that is triggered when you press the start button to trigger the HVB to turn on. None of those fuses appear to be blown.

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Did you try "starting" the truck thru the FordPass app?
Maybe that would wake it up out of whatever state it's in.

OP
OP

ksy2S1

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you try "starting" the truck thru the FordPass app?
Maybe that would wake it up out of whatever state it's in.
Several times. Every time the app comes back with an error saying the truck failed to start. I'm 90% sure this is due to the modem not being turned on - and the modem fuse is fine.

Sponsored

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Bummer. That does seem pretty bricked.

Sounds like you've already checked all the fuses and relays.
Only other thing that comes to mind is to hook up an OBD reader and see if you can pull any error codes to show what might be going on.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
What is the voltage on the 12v battery read at the terminals while you are attempting to turn on the truck? What is it with the truck off and the keys far away?

Is the humming coming from the seat, like it is trying to position itself but doesn’t have enough power?

The only thing that makes me think it might be battery related still is that the Sync system comes on briefly, although if I were betting I would probably put more money on a bad connection. Is there any sign of mouse damage?

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I wouldn't do much more. I would immediately get dealer involved. Have it towed up there.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.