• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tell me about your 48A EVSE

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Another vote for the Emporia.

I've had mine for over 6 months now. Flawless. Love the app and the data. The charger handle, chord is stout. I can't recommend one enough.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Another Emporia buyer here. Loved the charger so much that I bought the home energy monitor. No problems since I installed it last September. Great app with a lot of available data. Highly recommend, and you can't beat the price when you compare it to other manufacturers.

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
What happened to your Wallbox 48? That is one of the more highly regarded units out there and is among the top rated on State of Charge videos..
Red ring. I've had it happen before, but flipping the breaker off/on always cleared it. Not this time. It has survived the Texas heat before, and the 40A Wallbox seems fine.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Bought the Emporia EVSE and hard wired it for 48 A operation. The knockout hole for the power cord it came with is the size needed for 1" conduit which worked out well as I planned to use 1" PVC as it had more than enough space for a pair of #6 and a #8 T90 Nylon conductors.

Like @Pioneer74 I liked it so much I bought their home energy monitor for my main panel and subpanels for several reasons, but it allows me to monitor our "dumb" 32 A EVSE for my Focus Electric.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tell me about your 48A EVSE EVSE2

Con: The hanger for the plug leaves it exposed, and though it comes with a rubber cover, who really is going to put it on after each use? I bought a unit that mounts on the wall that you plug it into when not in use that cost CAD$25 on Amazon

Initially a con: The front cover is held on by screws that must be installed from the backside of the cover's overhang from the box. This is somewhat awkward when installing, but it probably discourages anyone from tampering with it (not that this should be an issue!).

Last edited:

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I have the Emporia 48A hardwired and perfect since day 1 over a year ago.

Constant 11kW output and very stable even in hot temps.

Claimed the IRS 8911 30% tax deduction including installation!

IMG_9107.JPG
Wait what? I missed that tax deduction 🤔

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I bought the Emporia EVSE and have had Zero problems with it, it's hard wired for 48.
bought it for the reviews, price and I all ready have there home energy monitor which I love.
I like to charge after 12am so I have Emporia set to charge at 12:01 am.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tell me about your 48A EVSE SmartSelect_20230701_070348_Gallery
I

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
FYI, there are income limits attached to the EVSE tax deduction. I didn't qualify for it.

Sponsored

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Engineer
I haven't seen that. Is it somehow tied into the same income limits for the EV tax credit?
No, nothing to do with the income limit for the EV purchase credit. Instead, they pulled shenanigans with the AMT checks. Even though I didn't get hit with AMT, one of the AMT checks looks at your tax liability after other credits. If it's too low relative to your income, you don't get to claim the EVSE install credit.

You would think purchasing an EV and installing an EVSE would be closely coupled for tax purposes, but they're entirely different because... reasons?

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Red ring. I've had it happen before, but flipping the breaker off/on always cleared it. Not this time. It has survived the Texas heat before, and the 40A Wallbox seems fine.
So after a little more digging, it looks like I updated the software on the 48 A on June 28th, which happens to be the date I started having problems. I did not update the 40 A, and I doubt I will until I get the 48 A fixed.

Reactions: GDN

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Very happy with the ChargePoint. Sends 48A to the truck when connected to a 60A breaker, also like the cord and plug storage.

I was unable to get the EVSE rebate as others have mentioned in conjunction with the $7500 rebate. Did get a $500 incentive from my utility toward the installation as well as $250 from New Jersey for the ChargePoint.

works good for me as we have ChargePoint 6KW chargers at my work, so most of my charging is on the one app.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tell me about your 48A EVSE IMG_9168

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
I had a Tesla Wall Charger for several years and it worked great. But now I have an Emporia charger and I’ll register another recommendation for that model.

It’s the only charger that has the capability to automatically charge my EVs using only excess solar energy. It’s paired with an Emporia Vue energy monitor and turns itself on when excess solar power is available. That way, I don’t pay anything to charge my EVs at home.
Asking a question specifically about your setup - can your setup both charge whenever there is excess solar, and then also charge on a set schedule? I'm moving soon and will have solar at my new place, and also have off-peak electric rates at ridiculously low rates - 4.5 cents/kwh from midnight to 8 am. I'd love to have a setup that charged during the day w/ excess solar, but then still would charge during those off-peak hours if my vehicle isn't charged to its target level during the day.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
Asking a question specifically about your setup - can your setup both charge whenever there is excess solar, and then also charge on a set schedule? I'm moving soon and will have solar at my new place, and also have off-peak electric rates at ridiculously low rates - 4.5 cents/kwh from midnight to 8 am. I'd love to have a setup that charged during the day w/ excess solar, but then still would charge during those off-peak hours if my vehicle isn't charged to its target level during the day.
The short answer is: Yes! When the sun is up and my solar array is producing power, it first charges the Tesla Powerwall batteries to 100% and then begins dumping excess solar power to the grid. The Emporia Vue energy monitor senses that, and tells the Emporia charger to activate using only excess solar energy.

My Mustang Mach-Es and Lightning have no problem accepting whatever surplus energy the Emporia charger can provide. Once the sun goes down, the Powerwalls take over and power the house at night. If you leave the EVs plugged in, the time-of-use programming takes over and the charger will top off the EVs from the grid during off-peak hours.

Because my solar power system backs up the entire house (rather than a critical loads panel), if I leave the Tesla Gateway set on "Self-Powered", then the charger will first draw power from the Powerwall batteries to charge the EVs, up to whatever reserve I have set. On the other hand, if I set the Gateway to "Time-Based Control", the charger will draw from the grid during off-peak hours.

In any event, the system enables me to mainly charge my EVs using solar power and only charge them from the grid during off-peak hours if necessary.
Sponsored