• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tell me about your 48A EVSE

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
My Wallbox 48A EVSE has died and needs to be replaced...I'm having to share my wife's 40A Wallbox EVSE that was installed at the same time.

What 48A EVSE do you own and what do you love/hate about it?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Emporia EVSE is a great option. Often goes on sale for $400. Comes with a 14-50 plug but that can easily be removed and hardwired for a full 48A output. It has software selectable max Amps output. Solid app with good usage data. It can be controlled and set a schedule with the app if you prefer to use a schedule on the EVSE. Great support and regular firmware updates.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I have a chargepoint Flex 48A.

Highly recommended in many reviews and by Tom Moloughney on his "State of Charge" youtube.

The cable was particularly highly rated in the "cold weather" test so hoping it will stand up to harsh upstate NY winters.

You can add it to the chargepoint app, so if you already use Chargepoint public L2 chargers it will integrate so you don't have to add ANOTHER unique app.

Negatives:

Not the cheapest
Most of the settings have to be adjusted on the app...so connectivity is a "must have" (cannot set up as a "dumb" EVSE)

Has jumped off my wireless network a couple times..but that could be the network. You can still charge when the EVSE is offline...but you won't be able to use schedule options, remote monitoring, etc.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I have the Emporia 48A hardwired and perfect since day 1 over a year ago.

Constant 11kW output and very stable even in hot temps.

Claimed the IRS 8911 30% tax deduction including installation!

Ford F-150 Lightning Tell me about your 48A EVSE IMG_9107.JPG

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Also have the emporia, been working great since day one. Also plays nice with solar.

Sponsored

artificial_airspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost Lariat 2WD
Autel Smart 50A at home, I have it set to 48A hardwired on a 60A breaker. Great app.

Autel Home Smart Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger up to 50Amp, 240V, Indoor/Outdoor Car Charging Station with Level 2, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Enabled EVSE, 25-Foot Cable,Hardwired https://a.co/d/74Upzhh

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

Highly recommended in many reviews and by Tom Moloughney on his "State of Charge" youtube.

The cable was particularly highly rated in the "cold weather" test so hoping it will stand up to harsh upstate NY winters.

You can add it to the chargepoint app, so if you already use Chargepoint public L2 chargers it will integrate so you don't have to add ANOTHER unique app.

Negatives:

Not the cheapest
Most of the settings have to be adjusted on the app...so connectivity is a "must have" (cannot set up as a "dumb" EVSE)

Has jumped off my wireless network a couple times..but that could be the network. You can still charge when the EVSE is offline...but you won't be able to use schedule options, remote monitoring, etc.
Another negative is that you can only have one chargepoint per account. other than that it's been great. I also have Juice Box 48. It's only real negative is that the bracket it came with is somewhat flimsy.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Tesla wall connector. Doesn’t give any fancy data or stats but it just works and is reliable which is the most important thing. If I didn’t already have it I’d probably go with the Emporia unit until everyone started switching over to NACS. With the industry headed to NACS having one and using an adapter might be a more future proof setup.

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Tesla WC on a 60 amp breaker running at 48 amps. It just works. I did have to spend a couple hundred on the Tesla Tap for the truck, but with a Tesla in the garage too it just makes sense.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf

Negatives:

Not the cheapest

+1 for ChargePoint Home Flex, helps that I got $500 toward it from my utility. If not for that I’d probably go Emporia.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Tesla wall connector. They're the best and most reliable. And Tesla sells them with the CCS connector too. My second recommendation would be the ChargePoint Home Flex, but as has been mentioned, only one charger per account. I've been told for well over a year that they are changing that, but nothing has happened.

There can be incentives from utility companies as others are saying. I haven't had much luck with that here because they only offer the incentive if their contractors install it and I agree to let them monitor activity among other intrusive things. With Xcel Energy where I'm at, every incentive they offer is tied to their monitoring and control of my home. No thanks.

Reactions: GDN

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I have the Autel and love it. The app works great and it has an ethernet port so I don’t have to deal with any WiFi problems. Mine is an early unit with the stiff cable but the new ones are supposed to have an improved cable. Since you are in Texas it won’t be an issue even if you get an old cable because it only causes problems in the cold.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
[Autel] has an ethernet port so I don’t have to deal with any WiFi problems.
I wish every manufacturer would do this.

I have the ChargePoint Home Flex. The thing is great. The design and lighted ball socket for hanging the J1772 connector is elegant. But, if the Emporia had been available for $200-$300 less in 2021 when I bought the CP, I would have purchased it. I use Emporia Vue energy monitoring in my home service panel.

Ajjra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
My Wallbox 48A EVSE has died and needs to be replaced...I'm having to share my wife's 40A Wallbox EVSE that was installed at the same time.

What 48A EVSE do you own and what do you love/hate about it?
What happened to your Wallbox 48? That is one of the more highly regarded units out there and is among the top rated on State of Charge videos..

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
I had a Tesla Wall Charger for several years and it worked great. But now I have an Emporia charger and I’ll register another recommendation for that model.

It’s the only charger that has the capability to automatically charge my EVs using only excess solar energy. It’s paired with an Emporia Vue energy monitor and turns itself on when excess solar power is available. That way, I don’t pay anything to charge my EVs at home.
Sponsored