• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tell me why this charger cabinet is a bad idea…

OP
OP

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
I was thinking someone would comment with something like “this charger isn’t the highest quality, I sometimes have to unplug/ replug mine to reset it”

or “I leave mine plugged in all the time, works fine”

-I’d be more concerned with constant plugging/ unplugging in the 14-50r outlet. From what I’ve read that causes them to wear, and wear causes loose connections, which is bad.
-As far as continuous duty/ continuous load… it is sold to charge a truck with a 131kwh battery. It’s almost finished adding 60% to my truck overnight (a cool night, in the 60s) and there’s barely any warmth to feel. I know continuous duty means “indefinitely long time“ and continuous load means over three hours. It’s a charger that is sold to run well over 12 hours to charge a large battery. And I’m drawing 32 amps from an outlet on a 50 amp breaker...
-I read NEC, 110.26 concerning electric equipment, and the only reference I read was 30 inches. The thing comes with a short cord, it will never be 30 inches from its outlet. And it comes with a plastic wall mount, which I am using.
- Wasps… always a threat. A google search says they don’t like the smell of mothballs, I’ll try that.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
thank you for your quality comment. I prefer it to this look…

It’s made from pressure treated wood/ plywood, which has also been painted with two coats of exterior paint, and plenty of caulk where the crews go in, all 10 of them. The entire house has siding that has nails or screws going through it, and paint over it all.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tell me why this charger cabinet is a bad idea… FA92B536-1BF1-4527-A090-C7B5EC30986D

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The only thing I would have done differently would have the door close underneath the top board to prevent water from coming through the opening.

OP
OP

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
The only thing I would have done differently would have the door close underneath the top board to prevent water from coming through the opening.
Fair point. I’m painting the inside parts now, and I could cut the door down a few inches so it closes under the overhang of a small board while I have it all apart and off the wall.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Fair point. I’m painting the inside parts now, and I could cut the door down a few inches so it closes under the overhang of a small board while I have it all apart and off the wall.
Or, if you have any wood leftover, you could glue another board on top that overhangs the door. Other than that, I think it's cool you're providing a charging option for your guests.

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Or, if you have any wood leftover, you could glue another board on top that overhangs the door. Other than that, I think it's cool you're providing a charging option for your guests.
Yeah and angle it down like a mini roof

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
The only downside I can see, aside from adequate ventilation, is wasps nesting in there.

Leaving it on all the time is minimal electricity, and would allow it to get OTA software updates, assuming you have wifi there.
OTA? mobile charger.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Any reason this setup won’t work? (I’m not a professional carpenter)

It’s not finished. I’ll paint the inside, attach the charger holster better, etc. I have some metal straps, I’ll try to fashion a bracket to make so it’s a bit more difficult to steal.

It’s on the shady side wall, on a cabin in the North Carolina mountains that I use for vacation/ rent via Airbnb and VRBO type rentals. I plan to leave it plugged in and tucked away in its cabinet. Renters with EVs can use it, and I’ll advertise it as such.

Are there problems with leaving the mobile charger plugged in always?

Scott

978A2F1B-CBC0-4591-B792-B86CB4057118.jpeg

A8A6DA6D-5A1E-4667-879B-E11ECC5B12B3.jpeg
When adding ventilation hole use bug netting. If you have room for the diameter - look at some soffit vents. HD HAS some round ones with bug screens

paulhrab

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
I like it. Should do what you want...sheltered from the elements when not in use.

Meccanica

Threads
Reaction score
Website
sdturo.com
Vehicles
Lightning, Model S Plaid, 3 & Y, e-Golf
Occupation
Consultant
This is totally fine and looks great Nice job.

I've had Tesla mobile chargers plugged in for over 5+ yrs with zero issues at my vacation property in a similar enclosure.

Sponsored

asudan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5L, 2022 Tesla Performance Model Y
The service panel/outlet doesnt meet National Electrical Code for clear space and likely distance to combustible materials. Check out NEC 110.26.
Agreed. This would not pass inspection.

asudan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5L, 2022 Tesla Performance Model Y
Damn man, you must be a blast at parties. No reason to crap all over this guy. He asked for advice, not to be hung in the public square. I guess the lesson "if you don't have anything nice to say..." was not taught in your house.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
this thread really begs the question why chargers aren't more visually appealing? its one thing to have it hidden in your garage but I'd guess most truck owners park in the driveway with the charger on the side of the house. they're all hideous.
Sponsored