• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tell me about your 48A EVSE

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
The short answer is: Yes! When the sun is up and my solar array is producing power, it first charges the Tesla Powerwall batteries to 100% and then begins dumping excess solar power to the grid. The Emporia Vue energy monitor senses that, and tells the Emporia charger to activate using only excess solar energy.

My Mustang Mach-Es and Lightning have no problem accepting whatever surplus energy the Emporia charger can provide. Once the sun goes down, the Powerwalls take over and power the house at night. If you leave the EVs plugged in, the time-of-use programming takes over and the charger will top off the EVs from the grid during off-peak hours.

Because my solar power system backs up the entire house (rather than a critical loads panel), if I leave the Tesla Gateway set on "Self-Powered", then the charger will first draw power from the Powerwall batteries to charge the EVs, up to whatever reserve I have set. On the other hand, if I set the Gateway to "Time-Based Control", the charger will draw from the grid during off-peak hours.

In any event, the system enables me to mainly charge my EVs using solar power and only charge them from the grid during off-peak hours if necessary.
That's awesome. Definitely going to explore this setup! Thanks!
Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My Wallbox 48A EVSE has died and needs to be replaced...I'm having to share my wife's 40A Wallbox EVSE that was installed at the same time.

What 48A EVSE do you own and what do you love/hate about it?
Tesla Wall Connector. Best value on the market- use Lectron NACS:CCS adapter, or order the CCS version of Wall Connector.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tell me about your 48A EVSE 1688434259450

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I use an OpenEVSE. The best part is that its completely opensource, and when a part breaks, its easy to replace vs just tossing the whole unit.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Tesla Wall Connector. Best value on the market- use Lectron NACS:CCS adapter, or order the CCS version of Wall Connector.
1688434259450.jpeg
Emporia is cheaper, with the same or better features and still has great build quality.

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Yep I also have an Emporia charger and am very satisified with it. I'm using the 14-50 short cable it comes with to power it, so am charging at 40 amps. As said above you can disconnect that cable and hard wire it for 48 amp service. Note I'm using a 50 amp breaker. If set to 48 amps, you'll need to use a 60 amp breaker.

Good luck,
Alan Rovner
Vancouver, Wash.

Sponsored

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150 XLT / 2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Emporia EVSE is a great option. Often goes on sale for $400. Comes with a 14-50 plug but that can easily be removed and hardwired for a full 48A output. It has software selectable max Amps output. Solid app with good usage data. It can be controlled and set a schedule with the app if you prefer to use a schedule on the EVSE. Great support and regular firmware updates.
This!

I love my Emporia!

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
Ooooohhhh another tax credit. Didn't know about that one. Just got my truck last month and had my electrician hard wire in an Emporia. I had deleted the basic charger from my order and planned to get the Ford Pro, but waiting nearly a year gave me plenty of time to research chargers... Our electricity costs the same all of the time, so I literally just plug it in. Very easy and no issues so far.
Sponsored