• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
If this happens, it'll be a disincentive to buy a Tesla. While all other EVs will be able to access the SC network, Teslas still won't be able to access CCS networks. From an infrastructure perspective, that'll instantly put Teslas at a charging disadvantage.

Not to mention annoyed Tesla owners, finding non-Teslas parked in the wrong charging spot. I'd imagine they'd need to bring back free supercharging for owners to keep their customer base.
There are options for Tesla drivers to use CCS. First, if your car has the right hardware, you can use Tesla's relatively inexpensive adapter (available in Korea right now). The TeslaTap guys also make a 60 kW adapter that works for cars without the CCS compatibility (older Model S/X).
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP
detroitlightning

detroitlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Toyota RAV4 Prime, ‘22 Maverick XL
This thread is quite amusing. Butt hurt Ford boys get access to the best thing in the World that makes their truck better (truly the one thing it is missing - a decent charging network) and they want to hold their middle finger up to the people that made it better.

I've still got one Model 3 in the garage and likely always will and I'm adding the Lightning. I'm OK with this from both sides of the asile.

Biden couldn't be happier bent over for the unions and won't even give Tesla the time of day. It will hack off of a few Tesla owners, but truly Tesla should likely charge 3 to 4 times the rate they charge their own cars. Put some money in the bank to continue building more SC'ers since even VW and the govt have screwed that pooch.
This is nothing but good news for non-Tesla owners. Maybe a bit more congestion for Tesla owners to deal with in the short term, but long term should only help grow the infrastructure.

As for sticking it to Tesla/Tesla owners...sadly those groups have cultivated that reputation. Doesn't mean that it applies across the board, but it's certainly not a unique opinion to Ford/Lightning owners...

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
If this means Tesla gets an outsized chunk of the Infrastructure Bill funding for this, and the cost per non-Tesla charge port is more than others, I would rather see others get the funds. That said, if they can do it for less, with more locations, and better uptime, great!

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Not sure if it'll be any different here, but Bjorn covers how supercharging works via the CCS connector in Norway. There is no adapter - Tesla installs CCS cables on each charger alongside those with a Tesla connector:

With most superchargers in the US (at least that I've seen), the cable will be too short to reach the charge port on the Lightning unless you are parked perpendicular to all of the spots, blocking off many of them. There is sometimes one "pull in" charger on the end that could work, but not all stations have them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
detroitlightning

detroitlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure if it'll be any different here, but Bjorn covers how supercharging works via the CCS connector in Norway. There is no adapter - Tesla installs CCS cables on each charger alongside those with a Tesla connector:

With most superchargers in the US (at least that I've seen), the cable will be too short to reach the charge port on the Lightning unless you are parked perpendicular to all of the spots, blocking off many of them. There is sometimes one "pull in" charger on the end that could work, but not all stations have them.
Oof. That would be disappointing.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
If this means Tesla gets an outsized chunk of the Infrastructure Bill funding for this, and the cost per non-Tesla charge port is more than others, I would rather see others get the funds. That said, if they can do it for less, with more locations, and better uptime, great!
You might want to research charging and see who does it right. No one can touch Tesla's stations. If you want to continue to propagate broken EA chargers in Wal-Mart parking lots not on your path you keep hoping that others get that money.

Tesla doesn't give a crap - they've already been passed over by TX and they still beat everyone else hands down.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
You might want to research charging and see who does it right. No one can touch Tesla's stations. If you want to continue to propagate broken EA chargers in Wal-Mart parking lots not on your path you keep hoping that others get that money.

Tesla doesn't give a crap - they've already been passed over by TX and they still beat everyone else hands down.
Understood. Hence the " if they can do it for less, with more locations, and better uptime, great!" . Of course now that I see how they do it in the EU by adding a CCS cable to each station, that means less availability as the same station could be used by a Tesla. If they can do more stations for the money, and/or better uptime, I am all for it.

But if they get our tax dollars to just add cables and no new stations, I am doubtful this would be better than new EA stations at truck stops.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Understood. Hence the " if they can do it for less, with more locations, and better uptime, great!" . Of course now that I see how they do it in the EU by adding a CCS cable to each station, that means less availability as the same station could be used by a Tesla. If they can do more stations for the money, and/or better uptime, I am all for it.

But if they get our tax dollars to just add cables and no new stations, I am doubtful this would be better than new EA stations at truck stops.
All of the Superchargers are built in their factory in NY. Just this week articles about how they are ramping up production. They will retrofit cables to existing chargers and continue building at lightning speed new stations. They are building them with 20 to 40 stalls in places now.

Check out supercharge.info - crowdsourced info on all chargers, new chargers, where they are getting permits for new chargers.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
Giving Tesla tax money to add cables would be so much better than trying to build new EA stations. Even with unlimited money it will take many years to build enough EA stations to be meaningful. Tesla could add cables so much faster, and they know how to maintain the stations. In my limited experience half the EA chargers are usually out of commission. While charging today at an EA station four of the six chargers were down and an EA tech was on site. He drove 4 hours to get to this site to reboot one of the charges, and had two more stations to hit yet today, both over an hour further.

Sponsored
OP
OP
detroitlightning

detroitlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All of the Superchargers are built in their factory in NY. Just this week articles about how they are ramping up production. They will retrofit cables to existing chargers and continue building at lightning speed new stations. They are building them with 20 to 40 stalls in places now.

Check out supercharge.info - crowdsourced info on all chargers, new chargers, where they are getting permits for new chargers.
What’s been your experience w/ superchargers being operable vs inactive? Does tesla handle the maintenance in house?

JRTN34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, 2020 Tesla Model Y
I think this is fantastic news all-around. Tesla already has a CCS adapter they can release in the US at will, but very few are pushing for it because the Tesla charging network is so much better. Information on cost per charging station pedestal shows Tesla has a huge advantage(https://electrek.co/2022/04/15/tesla-cost-deploy-superchargers-revealed-one-fifth-competition/). If tax money were being offered that's were it should go, buy 5 Tesla pedestals for the cost of the others. As a Tesla owner I want anything that makes it more profitable to build out more charging. As a future Lightning owner I want access to the best, most reliable charging infrastructure. I guess the only groups that might see this as bad news are the other charging networks that will now have real competition.
I know many EV owners will rarely use fast chargers, but it makes you feel better to know they are there when you need them.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
This is great news. Northern New England has almost no CCS charge stations but quite a few SCs. The sooner they open these the better!

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, Energica Eva Ribelle
I can’t wait to block the chargers from a Tesla! Gonna be the highlight of owning a Lightning I think.
You do realize that the SC network is as successful as it is because of the people who've been buying Teslas for the past decade, right? So you'll take advantage of the SC network, while crapping on the people who made it possible?
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN