• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Recall for Autopilot - 2 million vehicles

roadhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
To me the bigger news is this 'admittance' from Tesla (in quotes because it sounds like it might be buried in a footnote in the user guide?)

In user manuals, legal documents and communications with federal regulators, Tesla has acknowledged that Autosteer, Autopilot’s key feature, is “intended for use on controlled-access highways” with “a center divider, clear lane markings, and no cross traffic.”
As someone who is interested in EVs but doesn't own a Tesla, this is absolutely not how Autopilot is marketed or portrayed.

OP
OP
jefrank

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2004 BMW 330Ci
To me the bigger news is this 'admittance' from Tesla (in quotes because it sounds like it might be buried in a footnote in the user guide?)
Yep, it's in the documentation but definitely not how it's marketed. The fact that you can even engage Autopilot in places where it's not intended to be used is problematic IMO. BlueCruise only engages lane keeping with hands-on when not in a supported area (and sometimes even when in one lol)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

As someone who is interested in EVs but doesn't own a Tesla, this is absolutely not how Autopilot is marketed or portrayed.
Wait, wut? Tesla lied? OMG, I am shocked... Not...

roadhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Wait, wut? Tesla lied? OMG, I am shocked... Not...
Ha I'm not either, but now the light has been shined on the lie, rather than just 'Oh well we kinda thought everyone knew that'.

Like @jefrank said, it sounds like we'll see tighter restrictions on when 'Autopilot' can be engaged, like we have on most other vehicles with similar capabilities. After all the marketing and hype, it would be a huge blow for Tesla if you could only engage it on approved highways - that's their key differentiator from competitors.

EDIT: The WaPo article was just updated!

The software update, which was to be deployed on “certain affected vehicles” starting Tuesday, Dec. 12, will add extra controls and alerts to “encourage the driver to adhere to their continuous driving responsibility,” the recall report said. The update will also include controls that prevent Autosteer from engaging outside of areas where it is supposed to work, and a feature that can suspend a driver’s Autosteer privileges if they repeatedly fail to stay engaged at the wheel.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

I can confirm mine can be engaged in local roads despite not having FSD, or a driver facing camera…

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
AP is trash compared to Co-Pilot/BC especially when the sun goes down.

I honestly think Tesla has given up on AP and will only improve on EAP/FSD because it's a paid feature. I am assuming it will be the same with Ford and Co-Pilot.

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
min
I can confirm mine can be engaged in local roads despite not having FSD, or a driver facing camera…
My 2015 Model S has done this since day 1. It's a fun parlor trick, but not advised on anything other than freeway driving. I have AP 1.0 without the additional cameras and it handles better than newer versions. of AP.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
min

My 2015 Model S has done this since day 1. It's a fun parlor trick, but not advised on anything other than freeway driving. I have AP 1.0 without the additional cameras and it handles better than newer versions. of AP.
Agreed, the AP in my 2018 Model 3 was 100 times better than this Vision crap in the 2023's.

Trent Flexy

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
manager
but not advised on anything other than freeway driving.
I was surpised to find out that Mercedes was the 1st car vendor to launch public AP ver 3 in the USA. I thought it would have been Tesla.
Sponsored