• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towing an Airstream with Gen14, and ProPower 7.2

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
Avoid the power tailgate, glass roof, and 20” wheels if you need payload. My PB King Ranch Mac Tow came in at 1575 lbs payload with those omitted
don't have moonroof or power gate, but do have 20"s. Yet some 20 tires are lighter than 18 tires, so to me that is a wash.
Sponsored

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
don't have moonroof or power gate, but do have 20"s. Yet some 20 tires are lighter than 18 tires, so to me that is a wash.
20’ wheels are 22 lbs heavier Pe Ford, plus 8 lbs for the tires; per Tire Rack, not big numbeRHS…

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
20’ wheels are 22 lbs heavier Pe Ford, plus 8 lbs for the tires; per Tire Rack, not big numbeRHS…
30 pounds per wheel rolling unsprung weight is HUGE. I switched to actual truck tires on my KR PB, adding another 21 lbs per tire (went from 37 to 58), dropped 3 mpg. Worth it for towing safety, but wrecks havoc with efficiency.

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
30 pounds per wheel rolling unsprung weight is HUGE. I switched to actual truck tires on my KR PB, adding another 21 lbs per tire (went from 37 to 58), dropped 3 mpg. Worth it for towing safety, but wrecks havoc with efficiency.
Divide by 4! Those weights are the total vehicle weight gain, not single wheel…. :)

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Here's a little cheat sheet that helps. It also has a built in safety factor. Feel free to download it to use. I add different tabs to measure with different campers.

Payload Calculator
The above link doesn't work for me. My browser says: " It looks like gentry-r.synology.me closed the connection".

Has anyone else been able to download this?

Thanks!
-Eric

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Last edited:

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Bingo! The first link worked.

Thanks!

RexTX

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang Shelby GT, 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
retired
My similar use case is to charge my bass boat batteries on the move.
I used to charge my race car battery by the trailer running lights. Battery was fully charged by the time we got to the track.

Sponsored

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
FYI here's just a single data point re: towing while using Lane Centering to share with the group: I'm finding that LC works reliably with my towing set-up at 60 mph and lower. That's my PB towing a two-axle 24' 5500# Lance trailer while using an Andersen WD hitch.

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
ddruker
4 Rivet Member
4rivet.gif

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I ordered parts today to convert my Airstream from having a single hard-wired cord and plug in the rear bumper to having two automatically switched stainless steel 30 AMP power inlets, one at the front and one in the rear.

I also ordered a marine grade 30AMP power cord, plus adapters for both standard 120V 30AMP RV outlets found in trailer parks, as well as the 240 V 30AMP outlet in the back of the F150.

The setup includes an automatic transfer switch, which will sense which of the two power inlets is energized, and will automatically switch to the active source, and will isolate the unused source. It will also never allow both power sources to energize to the Airstream simultaneously - only one can ever be connected at a time.

Parts are:

Stainless steel power inlets (2) - > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hole saw for power inlets -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wiring for Inside Airstream -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S12FR6OS&psc=1
Automatic Transfer Switch -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power Cord -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
F150 dogbone power adapter -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RV Park power dogbone adapter -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope this shopping list helps. I will post pictures as I perform the installation.

[/QUOTE]

Dan - your post inspired me and I'm doing something similar to my Grand Design TT. I currently have hard wired Hughes Watchdog surge protector wired in. Would you recommend installing the surge protector before or after the transfer switch? Thoughts? I was thinking before so that it will protect the transfer switch as well. Appreciate any input...

YankeeOne

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Martime Valet Parking
I just had my RV dealer install Battle Born Towable 30A 200AH GC2 kit into my trailer. The kit includes a Battery Guard Auto BGA 225 that apparently installes between the truck battery and the trailer plug and acts like a check valve and prevents back flow of power back into the truck when the trailer is connected but the truck isn't running. The dealer wasn't sure how to connect it because I have a '21 F-150 Powerboost Hybrid truck. Has anyone installed a BGA 225 in a hybrid F-150? My dealer said to just unplug the trailer from the truck if I stop for any length of time like having dinner. Seems like a hassle for top of the line gear.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing an Airstream with Gen14, and ProPower 7.2 tempImageHy0h75
Sponsored