• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towing Range / better hauling range with the ER battery

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I am suspecting there is a big advantage for the extended range battery when towing, hauling heavy loads, or being hard on deceleration. The extended range is able to provide more power, therefore you could probably assume that it will also regenerate more which will put more energy back into the battery instead of using the friction brakes. 25% more power hopefully also transfers to 25% more regen capability.

I personally love the 1 pedal drive feature when I test drove the Mach-e for an example of how their EVs drive. I actually had to keep on the accelerator pedal for longer than I normally do coming up to a red light and it said 100% energy regen.

I saw one article as well of an interview with Jim Farley (Ford CEO) that he said over time with the OTA updates, the lighting could possibly get up to 450miles range!
Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I am suspecting there is a big advantage for the extended range battery when towing, hauling heavy loads, or being hard on deceleration. The extended range is able to provide more power, therefore you could probably assume that it will also regenerate more which will put more energy back into the battery instead of using the friction brakes. 25% more power hopefully also transfers to 25% more regen capability.

I personally love the 1 pedal drive feature when I test drove the Mach-e for an example of how their EVs drive. I actually had to keep on the accelerator pedal for longer than I normally do coming up to a red light and it said 100% energy regen.

I saw one article as well of an interview with Jim Farley (Ford CEO) that he said over time with the OTA updates, the lighting could possibly get up to 450miles range!

Extended range is really just going to handle towing better because it has more range. The standard range has similar horsepower of a ICE F150... The extended range just gives you more.

Want to make the Standard Range a little better at the demands of very heavy towing -- get the towing package which is what adds the additional cooling (Fords language isn't clear here, the towing package may only be available as an option for the extended range).

Regenerate breaking wouldn't be any different between the two. The added power comes from Ford allowing more due to the added battery capacity, not the motor itself which controls the regen breaking. The battery capacity has no baring on regenerative breaking (unless it is close to a full charge).

OP
OP

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
What i am saying is likely due to the ER being able to provide more HP, it is likely either an upgraded inverter/motor (or both) to handle the extra current. Due to this, it should allow a higher regen going back into the battery when having heavy loads to slow down using less friction brakes.
I'm not sure how they implement regen into electric cars, but generally the more powerful the motor (in HP), the more you are able to regenerate to slow it down.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
What i am saying is likely due to the ER being able to provide more HP, it is likely either an upgraded inverter/motor (or both) to handle the extra current. Due to this, it should allow a higher regen going back into the battery when having heavy loads to slow down using less friction brakes.
I'm not sure how they implement regen into electric cars, but generally the more powerful the motor (in HP), the more you are able to regenerate to slow it down.
If I had to guess the only difference is the larger battery in the ER Lightning. Since the torque is the same, they are likely using the same motors in both,the larger battery (with more cells) just allows voltage to be maintained at higher current draws which pushes the normal electric motor power falloff higher into the RPM band (giving more HP).

OP
OP

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
It may be possible that they are limiting the torque so they don't have to beef up the other drive train components to allow a higher torque. Electric motors will twist and snap driveshafts if they arent torque limited at that kind of power. Beefier drive shafts = more money, weight, and losses for something that people won't really use as it probably has enough torque as is to break the tires loose.
HP = Torque * RPM. It is likely at least a different inverter as they can save a fair bit of money on each truck by using an inverter that has 25% less peak power (im sure it is a similar situation to VFD drives in industrial facilities - 100hp is about 20% more expensive than a 75hp, so imagine the difference of 120HP).
It is just a thought that higher power output could equal a higher power input from regen which could help get a slightly better range.

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
Nope.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Extended range will have more power delivery because it has more battery cells. That means you can deliver more power from parallel systems. The Mach E is like that already. The ER has higher power and faster acceleration. The ER also can be charged faster at DC fast chargers, again, due to the parallel wiring.

However, all Lightning models will have the same two electric motors, just like adding ER to a Mach E uses the same motors as the equivalent SR (unlike the Mach E that has three motor options, RWD, AWD, and GT, all Lightnings have the same two motors). Those motors are the limiting factor on your regeneration. Regeneration produces output levels similar to L2 charging, not DC fast charge. The batteries are not the limiting factor.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Extended range will have more power delivery because it has more battery cells. That means you can deliver more power from parallel systems. The Mach E is like that already. The ER has higher power and faster acceleration. The ER also can be charged faster at DC fast chargers, again, due to the parallel wiring.

However, all Lightning models will have the same two electric motors, just like adding ER to a Mach E uses the same motors as the equivalent SR (unlike the Mach E that has three motor options, RWD, AWD, and GT, all Lightnings have the same two motors). Those motors are the limiting factor on your regeneration. Regeneration produces output levels similar to L2 charging, not DC fast charge. The batteries are not the limiting factor.
Small correction, but the Mach-e only has 2 motors in 3 configurations.

Rwd - big motor in back
Awd - big motor in back, small motor in front
GT - big motor in back, same big motor in front

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Last edited:
OP
OP

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I don't know all the facts either, but here you are :cautious:
It was a thought that since the motor can output more power, it should also be able to regen more power as well (like what is possible with industrial motors). Maybe it might be the same as the regular battery or maybe it might be more. Would have to wait until it actually gets tested.
Sponsored