• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Trip with charging stations

romeoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Telsa Model 3, 18 Ford Raptor 22 Ford Lightning
On my tesla I can put in my complete trip and it will display all the chargers on the screen. Will the Lightning do this? I know there are apps out there but I just want to know if the truck screen will display this as well?
Sponsored

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
It seems to (little charger icons show up on the route map), but I haven't actually used it yet. Not sure if it shows all stations, or just suggests appropriate charging stops. I will try it this weekend and report back.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I am expecting it does. Ford has included this in their marketing videos.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Yes, the gps includes Charging Station options along the chosen path, of course, and will also recommend which ones to stop at for optimal charging during the trip.
I found that long-trips in the Model 3 long-range did not easily allow me to remove 'pre-chosen' charging stops, making for sometimes a confusing gps mapping journey. I like the idea of it giving a pre-set charging routine, but if I'd like to skip one and stop at the next one, instead, it does not easily do that.

Our new Kia Sorento PHEV plug-in hybrid has a feature that tells you where the 'closest' Level 2 charger is located(it does not DC Fast charge since it has an 'engine', too)... but it does NOT tell you where the next closest GAS station is - interesting. I don't think most of us are looking to 'slow charge' a plug-in hybrid instead of gassing up while on a long trip.

Every model of vehicle and software and manufacturer and engineering departments have a differing take of what they think we want, or should want, or what's 'best' for us. I like the idea of total customization as to what 'I' want - if I want it to map out and direct me to EVERY DC Fast Charger, then o.k., but if I want it to simply let me know 'where' close DC Fast Chargers are, then even better. I'm a big boy, I don't need every single foot of every single mile of directions.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
It will add charging stops along the route if it requires them.

In the FordPass app you can set a trip and beginning SOC and it will populate the charge stops. I haven't done this for super long trips so I'm not sure if you can edit those stops, probably not tho. If you save this trip it will send it to the truck and you can start it when you get in later.

I do this and then I use Plugshare and ABRP to check if there are other DCFC options that Ford may have missed. This way you can adjust on the fly and perhaps pass a stop if you have enough to get to the next one.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It will add charging stops along the route if it requires them.

In the FordPass app you can set a trip and beginning SOC and it will populate the charge stops. I haven't done this for super long trips so I'm not sure if you can edit those stops, probably not tho. If you save this trip it will send it to the truck and you can start it when you get in later.

I do this and then I use Plugshare and ABRP to check if there are other DCFC options that Ford may have missed. This way you can adjust on the fly and perhaps pass a stop if you have enough to get to the next one.
I was wondering about this. Does the Ford in-vehicle navigation only show “Blue Oval Network” chargers? How often does PlugShare find dcfc that the Ford app doesn’t?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
I was wondering about this. Does the Ford in-vehicle navigation only show “Blue Oval Network” chargers? How often does PlugShare find dcfc that the Ford app doesn’t?
With Plugshare you not only find the stations but reviews and pictures of the location which can be very helpful.

The in vehicle nav will find whatever charger is close by. Car dealers with L2 chargers, hotels, etc....

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think Ford's system will certainly highlight the 'Blue Oval' charging network options, but will likely also give other options - the main difference might be whether other charge options allow for 'plug n charge' capabilities. I have used many differing chargers and networks, and when you have to have an 'app for that one', but can maybe use a 'credit card' for that other one, and then another has some other type of 'interface', it gets not only confusing, but aggravating. We are so used to fuel pumps that basically/mostly all work the same, or at least similar enough that we get them pretty quickly. Chargepoint, though, REQUIRES the use of their App, even if you are not a customer but want to use it thru the 'guest' application, which is even harder and more time consuming since you have to MANUALLY put in all your credit card and home address information and go thru many screens just to active the pump sitting right in front of you. And, don't get me started on how their app 'finds' the charge station you are at, as it is NOT very intuitive, and you might find yourself activating the 'other' charger, not the one you are parked at. Other chargers can take a credit card, either like EA's swipe unit, but that is also confusing, as you're not sure if you should first plug in, then swipe, or swipe first then wait for some magic screen to show up.
Another problem with some of the charge units is that they are 'screen only' based, like Chargepoint. If you have a problem with the screen interactivity, you are screwed, especially if you are already charging and want to 'stop', which requires you to manually press the 'stop charging' screen 'button', otherwise it will continue and not let you disengage with the hose. Ask me how I know!
Sponsored